The Student Room Group

I am in desperate need of advice. Please help.

Hello all. You'll excuse the stark nature of my writing, I'm not in the best mood right now.

I'm in my early twenties.. I have no passport, no bank account. I've never worked, never studied or anything like that.

I have nowhere to go, nothing to live for. I am trying so hard to seek the right advice in getting somewhere in my life, but nothing ever comes of it.

How do I get a passport? I apparently need a passport for job seekers allowance, or for a bank account. My mother said that she had sent of for one earlier this year.. But that it had been lost in the post. She insists that she doesn't have the money for a new one. I of course, have not a single penny.

I'm asking that you show some pity to a young man who seeks work, friendship and LIFE outside of his bedroom. I am a prisoner in my own home. Please help me, I have no reason to live at the moment.

Scroll to see replies

Most logical step would be to gain employment. Or volunteer to get some experience.

Or perhaps go back to school.

All viable options.
Original post by SnooFnoo
Most logical step would be to gain employment. Or volunteer to get some experience.

Or perhaps go back to school.

All viable options.

Thanks for the reply. It would be wonderful to gain employment, or to get an education.. But I have no bank account, on passport, nothing! No money to obtain a passport...

I am feeling so helpless right now. i went to a college on its opening day two years ago. They were saying things that I didn't understand, I was told that I would need to pay four thousand pounds to do a one year course in mechanical work. I'm rather hopeless I know, but I'm this way because I've been raised with no direction.

So how can I work when I've no bank account, and how can I get an education when I have no money? I am so lonely, and I have been for many years all alone by myself in my secluded bedroom.
A passport is like £90. Surely someone can get you £90?

You don't even need a passport for the things you are saying?
I'd suggest volunteering, just so you get out there and experience a wider world. Confidence is a major part when starting, in the free time you have do things that will help motivate you like exercise and reading. Try visiting Citizen Advise Bureau to help you get your passport and things sorted. To raise money to help your family and to get your starting steps you may want to take a job and ask to be payed in cash. Jobs like gardening, window washing, store keeper or cleaner. When you start feeling in control of your life, it will get better.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
A passport is like £90. Surely someone can get you £90?

You even need a passport for the things you are saying?

You're going to think I'm having you on here, but no.. My mother says she does not have the money for it. I ask and plead with her for a passport, but she lets out a huge sigh and says that she will get around to it.

I need a passport for a bank account, so I've been told by everyone. I want to cry, I have no money to do any of this myself. I've been to the job centre and been turned back.. Told to go online. I looked up about job seekers allowance, and it said that you need bank account to claim that. You need a passport for a bank account.

I've actually been considering ending my life because of the bleak monotony I've been stuck in for years.. I am so enthusiastic about making friends, getting a job... But I'm helpless.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hagrid the Brave
You're going to think I'm having you on here, but no.. My mother says she does not have the money for it. I ask and plead with her for a passport, but she lets out a huge sigh and says that she will get around to it.

I need a passport for a bank account, so I've been told by everyone. I want to cry, I have no money to do any of this myself. I've been to the job centre and been turned back.. Told to go online. I looked up about job seekers allowance, and it said that you need bank account to claim that. You need a passport for a bank account.

I've actually been considering ending my life because of the bleak monotony I've been stuck in for years.. I am so enthusiastic about making friends, getting a job... But I'm helpless.

Your mum should give you the £90 seeing as you will have the money back with interest within 2 weeks. Failng that i would go to a neighbour, a cousin a friend of a friend. Anywhere.

I opened a bank account online with Halifax the other day, didn't need a passport for it. Didnt need anything for it except a few details
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Your mum should give you the £90 seeing as you will have the money back with interest within 2 weeks. Failng that i would go to a neighbour, a cousin a friend of a friend. Anywhere.

I opened a bank account online with Halifax the other day, didn't need a passport for it. Didnt need anything for it except a few details

She absolutely should, but she won't. I am ruled by her I'm afraid.. How can I be independent when I've no money? Even if she sent off for a passport tomorrow (she won't) it would take until the beginning of next year to arrive, that's if it doesn't somehow get lost in the post like last time.

She tells me that I could be in debt because I cannot prove that I haven't worked. Insists that I'll have to travel eighty miles to London for an interview for the passport. In short, she's thick as two planks and she hasn't got the faintest idea when it comes to anything, and she annoys a lot of people because of that.

Could you please tell me more about Halifax? This sounds promising.
She absolutely should, but she won't. I am ruled by her I'm afraid.. How can I be independent when I've no money? Even if she sent off for a passport tomorrow (she won't) it would take until the beginning of next year to arrive, that's if it doesn't somehow get lost in the post like last time.

She tells me that I could be in debt because I cannot prove that I haven't worked. Insists that I'll have to travel eighty miles to London for an interview for the passport. In short, she's thick as two planks and she hasn't got the faintest idea when it comes to anything, and she annoys a lot of people because of that.

Try a provisional driving license instead.

Obviously check for the things you want to do if it suffices as ID - but I'm pretty sure it does.
Original post by tehforum
Try a provisional driving license instead.

Obviously check for the things you want to do if it suffices as ID - but I'm pretty sure it does.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence

You need a passport in order to obtain a provisional drivers license it would seem.

Just go on Halifax website and open a current account with them. Dead easy
https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence

You need a passport in order to obtain a provisional drivers license it would seem.

https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence
There you go.. Just goes to show how daft and naive me and my family are. This all looks very simple.

Any extra advice concerning the bank and the license? I'm not out of the woods yet.
There you go.. Just goes to show how daft and naive me and my family are. This all looks very simple.

Any extra advice concerning the bank and the license? I'm not out of the woods yet.

The license costs 50 quid
Don't depress yourself in any moment of life. Live it with a face full of smile. Why waste time in crying when you know you are here just for a while?
is your mother holding you hostage? You should have been sent a national insurance number card when you turned 16. How long have you been in the UK? Do you have a birth certificate? you should have one, otherwise your mother would not have been able to send for a passport, also you need a reference to get a passport, was this not done with your consent? i 'm guessing your mum did not send off for a passport, if it got lost in the post that would be a security risk to your identity- and should have been reported!

You should look up 'citizens advice' (CAB) and make an appointment with them.
Opening a bank account with Tesco and TSB online didn't require a passport for me (I actually have no clue where mine is). Just your NI number, and proof of ID (Tesco doesn't even ask for proof. Easiest account to set up... ever.)
Why do you have no education, you type decently?
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Well my mother insists that the passport was lost in the post and that she reported it. She could be lying, so there's no point in getting in touch with the office.. I wouldn't even know how to anyway.

Could someone here please give me further instructions on how to open a bank account with Halifax online? With all the rubbish I've been through, it seems a bit too good to be true! I have absolutely no money, so if I need to pay them monthly or something then I can't open an account with them.

How easy is a provisional drivers license to obtain? I'm beginning to think that this would be so much easier to get than a passport.

Thanks for the kind words smilesatgalleria, I'm pretty down at the moment.. I'll feel much better once I have my independence.

When I say that I have no education, I mean that I have no GCSE's/further education.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
As far as I'm aware, you don't HAVE to have a passport for Jobseekers.
Do you have any other documents on you like medical records or a birth certificate, because they give you an option of which documents you can bring.

Quick Reply

Latest