The Student Room Group

Uni Rowing teams

I was just wondering what is the rough order of the university teams. My thoughts are it's something like this:

1. Oxford/cambridge
2. Imperial
3. Some other London uni
4. ...

And then I don't really know from then onwards.

Also could someone tell me what has a better rowing team between Bristol and Southampton? (Just a minor factor which may sway my insurance decision.)

Scroll to see replies

It all varies and depends.

Some universities' boats are a bit rubbish. I cox my college's second men's boat and from Head of the Nene and other races we were beating other universities' first boats. Which was nice.

Yes, Oxford and Cambridge are at the top of the tree for being famous, but there's also other good rowing unis such as Oxford Brookes. Imperial are good, KCL and UCL also I think. Durham have also been heard of occasionally.
Reply 2
Just had another thought. What about the sporty unis such as Bath or Loughborough? How to do they fair in boats?
Reply 3
Ads.
Just had another thought. What about the sporty unis such as Bath or Loughborough? How to do they fair in boats?

I have a friend at Loughborough who says the rowing is dreadful; he's taken up cycling instead as a result. Bit wierd as from what I can tell Loughborough is really quite handy in pretty much everything else.

FTB: I would put Durham above UCL and Kings definately. UCL were lucky to even qualify for the Temple last year at Henley, wheras Durham won the Prince Albert in 05. London as UL is pretty serious though.
It's interesting how the collegiate unis seem to fare well.

Probably because each college boat club takes the novices and trains them, and then only if you're serious and committed do you get to join the uni squad. I'm not maligning other unis- I've got a friend who rows for Liverpool and who works hard- but they've been forced to do all the rowing together compared to just concentrating on development, technique and SPEED like the collegiate uni overall boat clubs can do.

Women's Eight's Head (WEHoRR) results should tell you quite a lot about how good the various uni first boats are.
Reply 5
Well it will obviously vary due to the intake, but i know Durham usually field a good crew, my bro did that Doxbridge thing and said Durham was toe to toe with Oxbridge in most things.

But as i said, my rugby team was absolutely awesome for like 4 seasons, but now the oldest year group have all gone to university its suddenly not as good. Things can change dramatically in short spaces of time. But then again, places like Oxbridge are obviously going to have permanent things like good infastructure and resources.
Reply 6
Durham weren't too great at Nottingham Head were they? What do people think of Derby Uni's Rowing team?
*Some parts of Oxbridge.

Basically, the men's boats that compete in the Boat Race have huge funding and lavish facilities compared to the Reserves races (Goldie and Blondie) and the Women's races (the women's boat and Granta and Nepthys). In fact, I believe they've cancelled the Granta-Nephtys race (the women's reserve's race) due to a lack of funding.
Reply 8
FadeToBlackout
*Some parts of Oxbridge.

Basically, the men's boats that compete in the Boat Race have huge funding and lavish facilities compared to the Reserves races (Goldie and Blondie) and the Women's races (the women's boat and Granta and Nepthys). In fact, I believe they've cancelled the Granta-Nephtys race (the women's reserve's race) due to a lack of funding.

i thought the lack of funding was from the Tab side?

Plus, Oxbridge don't enter regattas and such with their Blues boats - they race National teams etc. I think the boats Oxbridge are generally college 8's. i know we done a few Heads races...
Reply 9
Are Oxford uni first teams (at least in big sports) more or less professional standard?
The Oxford Blues play and beat professional teams (though these usually don't field their first-choice team) in rugby. The Blues rowers include a number of Olympic\world champion sportsmen. Outside these two the standard is not nearly so high (and you don't get people admitted probably primarily for sport). Rugby League let me play once for example, and I'd never played League before and only a year of Union.
Reply 11
you got a blue in league?

I know i wont get into the Rugby unversity teams as a starter, becasue ive not played rugby for very long and rugby is Oxford's pedigree (and much of their intake's pedigree). If i can get into my collegees first XV i would really really, really happy. I'm hoping to get into the University teams for football though. Is university first team football semi-pro level? If so, I'd probably settle for starting in university seconds and being on the bench/odd start for university firsts.
I only played 60 minutes off the bench in a friendly (selection for Varsity and the half-blue was properly competitive).

No college has the players to run two XVs full-time so if you're keen and not completely useless you'll probably get to play firsts at some point (in lower divisions half the game is in getting a full team to turn up, to be honest).

I don't know what the standard of football is like but I don't think it's in a separate class in the way that Rowing\Rugby are from other university teams (except Cambridge).
Reply 13
Isnt Keble a bit of a powerhouse at sport though? I heard their rugby team was superb (like unbeaten seasons), so i guessed they all would have been regulars in their county teams and like England North/England South teams. The best ive ever done rugby wise is be in my county's squad.
Keble have been fantastic lately, though only two terms ago they were in the third division with us. These things can vary quite a lot. I don't know who their guys played for they're evidently pretty good. Bear in mind though that the really fantastic players play Blues\U21s so aren't available for their college teams in the league most of the time.
Hmm. Linking this back to the topic (:p:) the people trialling for the uni rowing teams at Oxbridge will be out of circulation during most of the winter and the second terms, but available in the summer- so you see a real jump in quality of the college boats as the Blues return.
Reply 16
Consie
Are Oxford uni first teams (at least in big sports) more or less professional standard?

the Rowing team is. rugby nearly is - they play prem reserve sides, the army etc and various small countries. rest of the sports aren't as high a level...
Reply 17
FadeToBlackout
Hmm. Linking this back to the topic (:p:) the people trialling for the uni rowing teams at Oxbridge will be out of circulation during most of the winter and the second terms, but available in the summer- so you see a real jump in quality of the college boats as the Blues return.

yeh. our boat doesnt do as well in Eights because we never have returning Blues.. :frown:
Whereas the St. Edmund's first boat in Lents is in the third division with the second and third boats, but come Mays is near the top of the first! Mainly because Eddies is a grad college and has most Blues. Reading Land Economy, Water Management, and other equally strenuous subjects... :rolleyes:
Looking at possibly following in my big sis's footsteps and taking rowing up when i go to uni. Anybody no what the cut of weight is for mens lightweight?

Latest