The Student Room Group

I got fired...

I had been working in Tesco for around 2 years, and I had also been grateful for what I had; but today I was fired on the spot for no real reason. A customer was being extremely disrespectful chatting baaaaaaaaaare **** about my family, and while I attempted to act in a professional manner, they took it too far. Unwilling to tolerate the actions of this low life specimen, I told the customer to stick their customer service where the sun doesn't shine. They reported it to my manager and I immediately got fired. I don't think he is legally allowed to do this, is he? Harold Wilson didn't co-operate with the unions for no reason, sad to see that the rude prosper in this day and age.
Maybe I'm wrong but your employer should be protecting you from discrimination/harassment? I think your best bet would maybe to phone HR.
Original post by likewildfires
Maybe I'm wrong but your employer should be protecting you from discrimination/harassment? I think your best bet would maybe to phone HR.

I'm thinking that too.

Surely your manager would've asked for your side of the story? But yeah contact HR

Posted from TSR Mobile
For no reason, other than being rude to a customer. That is acceptable grounds for immediate dismissal.

In pretty much all customer facing roles there will be troublesome customers and you have to keep your cool in all situations, you have clearly demonstrated that you were not able to do so.
My mums a HR manager and I'm pretty sure you have to go through an official disciplinary hearing before they can fire you...
That's what she has to organise when they fire someone anyway - phone HR and tell them what happened, protect yourself!
I'm sure a big company like Tesco has to complete a disaplinary action too. You definitely have to have a meeting about why they're firing you anyway, otherwise you could accuse them of unfair dismissal...
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you looked on the Citizens Advice Bureua website, or https://www.gov.uk/dismiss-staff/overview? They will both tell you far more about fair and unfair dismissal than we probably will.
many of Tesco's customers come from the shallow end of society's pool. you should expect this kind of abuse from time to time.
Original post by lilyaugust
My mums a HR manager and I'm pretty sure you have to go through an official disciplinary hearing before they can fire you...
That's what she has to organise when they fire someone anyway - phone HR and tell them what happened, protect yourself!
I'm sure a big company like Tesco has to complete a disaplinary action too. You definitely have to have a meeting about why they're firing you anyway, otherwise you could accuse them of unfair dismissal...

For Gross Misconduct they can dismiss you on the spot but must give you the opportunity to appeal. The employee is not required to remain in work when the investigation is carried out.
Reply 8
Original post by _AyyLmao
Unwilling to tolerate the actions of this low life specimen, I told the customer to stick their customer service where the sun doesn't shine.

This is the point at which you earned yourself the immediate dismissal I'm afraid. If you had kept your cool and walked away or even just stared the customer out, there would have been no cause for dismissal. There is no line of work where you can tell the customer to 'stick it' and the employer is okay with that.

If there were witnesses, you admitted your actions or simply didn't deny the facts as reported by the customer, the manager was well within their rights to sack you. Sorry. See it as a learning curve.
Original post by DiddyDec
For Gross Misconduct they can dismiss you on the spot but must give you the opportunity to appeal. The employee is not required to remain in work when the investigation is carried out.

They could still be open for an Unfair Dismissal case. However, the government have removed legal aid for those, so it has become quite hard to pursue them.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
They could still be open for an Unfair Dismissal case. However, the government have removed legal aid for those, so it has become quite hard to pursue them.

They could be, but with the little information we have I highly doubt it.

Consulted my mum, that's incorrect. They have to suspend you first, then have a meeting to be able to dismiss you 'on the spot', particularly as they've been working there 2+ years.
Anyway...
Unfortunately she also said that the OP may end up being fired anyway due to the comments they made to the customer (sorry OP), but that Tesco would definitely have to investigate before they make a decision.
Original post by lilyaugust
Consulted my mum, that's incorrect. They have to suspend you first, then have a meeting to be able to dismiss you 'on the spot', particularly as they've been working there 2+ years.
Anyway...
Unfortunately she also said that the OP may end up being fired anyway due to the comments they made to the customer (sorry OP), but that Tesco would definitely have to investigate before they make a decision.

What is there to investigate, he admitted to saying it.
What is there to investigate, he admitted to saying it.

It's just how they have to do it, even if it's been admitted and it's an obvious breech of employee contract. It's so they don't have any legal claims made against them, etc. just how it goes 😐

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending