The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Bad combination of modules?

Just wanting to get some advice hopefully from people who may have completed the OU Natural Science degree pathway. I chose the broad based pathway at first to see which area's I would be interested in, and have completed S104, S141 and waiting for results for S142.

For the second year which has just started I've chosen S206 Environmental Science (60 credits), S294 Cell Biology (30 credits) and S295 The biology of survival (30 credits). I notice on my calender that the exams for S294 and S295 are both estimated in the same week in June, is that normal? Two exams presumably days apart?

The second thing is, were these a bad combination of modules? I'm beginning to think I should have taken SXHL288 Practical Science: Biology and health and another 30 credit module instead of S206 and try focus on a Biology based pathway. What are the implications for trying to change modules since all 3 of them have already started.

They are interesting so far, I'm just worried the topics will vary too greatly and not compound each other well. Even if I had taken the Biology pathway, S206 was still an option.

So basically, did I choose a dumb combination of modules?
Original post by hermitking
Just wanting to get some advice hopefully from people who may have completed the OU Natural Science degree pathway. I chose the broad based pathway at first to see which area's I would be interested in, and have completed S104, S141 and waiting for results for S142.

For the second year which has just started I've chosen S206 Environmental Science (60 credits), S294 Cell Biology (30 credits) and S295 The biology of survival (30 credits). I notice on my calender that the exams for S294 and S295 are both estimated in the same week in June, is that normal? Two exams presumably days apart?

The second thing is, were these a bad combination of modules? I'm beginning to think I should have taken SXHL288 Practical Science: Biology and health and another 30 credit module instead of S206 and try focus on a Biology based pathway. What are the implications for trying to change modules since all 3 of them have already started.

They are interesting so far, I'm just worried the topics will vary too greatly and not compound each other well. Even if I had taken the Biology pathway, S206 was still an option.

If the modules have the same start month then they will have exams falling in the same exam week (unless you defer or can offer special circs to take them when people are taking the resits). It's a risk you have to weigh up when study modules concurrently. They could even fall on the same day I'm afraid.

As for subject matter I can't comment as I've don't Maths & Comp Sci Degree with the OU and used credit transfer for level 1&2 for my nat sci. :colondollar:

If you are having doubts talk to your SST too, as modules have just begun it may be possible to switch if that's what you decide to do or at least get options if you decide to give it a go etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks. I've sent them a message so will consider my options.
Thanks. I've sent them a message so will consider my options.

No worries. They will hopefully be better to advise. :smile:

I had two 3 hour finals papers on the same day - it happens. Choose on what you want not when the exams are.
I notice on my calender that the exams for S294 and S295 are both estimated in the same week in June, is that normal? Two exams presumably days apart?

Also this might help for future use:

http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/help/exam-periods

http://www2.open.ac.uk/students/_data/documents/assessment/module-timetable-31-may-07-june-16.pdf?go=1 This is the list of modules in order so one of your exams is on a Friday (S295) and the other (S294) the following Tuesday.

Quick Reply

Latest