The Student Room Group

Realtionship between Standard Electrode Potential, Entropy and Equlibirum Constant?

Hey guys,
So I'm new here and I was wondering if I could get some help.
Can anybody explain the relationship between Standard Electrode Potential, Entropy and Equilibrium Constant?
I know that the SHE of a cell is directly proportional to the total entropy change and lnK, but can anyone explain the reason why? And could you also explain what the Nernst equation has to do with this?

(Sorry if this seems pretty simple, but I'm really struggling)

Thank you in advance!!
Original post by WuFanClan
Hey guys,
Can anybody explain the relationship between Standard Electrode Potential, Entropy and Equilibrium Constant?
I know that the SHE of a cell is directly proportional to the total entropy change and lnK, but can anyone explain the reason why? And could you also explain what the Nernst equation has to do with this?

Thank you in advance!!

ΔG = -nFEº

ΔG = -RTlnk
Original post by WuFanClan
Hey guys,

Thank you in advance!!

Are you sure you need to know about the Nernst equation? Ecell=EcelloRTln(Q)FE_{cell}=E^o_{cell}- \frac{RTln(Q)}{F} where Q is the reaction quotient
Reply 3
Original post by charco
ΔG = -nFEº

ΔG = -RTlnk

Thank You very much!
I just wanted to ask, is there anyway that can be explained in words? Or if they ask me can I just use the equation?
I understand that they are all proportional to eachother and that Gibbs Freen Energy change is 0 at equilibrium etc.
Thank You!!
Reply 4
Original post by langlitz
Are you sure you need to know about the Nernst equation? Ecell=EcelloRTln(Q)FE_{cell}=E^o_{cell}- \frac{RTln(Q)}{F} where Q is the reaction quotient

I'm not exactly sure. I was looking around on Google and it constantly came up so I thought I needed to know about it.

Quick Reply

Latest