The Student Room Group

Student from abroad - GCSE requirements

Hi Everyone,

I have only recently moved to the UK and looking to sign up to AS level. I wish to apply to university to study Medicine in 3 years time (when I would be eligible for a home student fees).

During that time, I fully plan to do all that is necessary to give me a good chance of being successful with my Medicine application. That includes doing the necessary A-level subjects, trying my best to attain the necessary grades and gain any relevant work experience.

My issue is that given I have come into the country after the age of 16, I do not have any GCSEs. I am from a country where the education program is completely different and they will not be recognized in the UK. Given that most (if not all) universities explicitly state certain number of GCSEs as a requirement for an applicant, where does this put me? Is there any exceptions for students who were unable to sit GCSE exams?

From what I understand, a GCSE in English Language seems like a must so I will look for ways to do that along with my A-levels. But I'm unsure if I need to sit other GCSE exams too for me to stand any chance, given that many universities say at least 7+ excellent GCSE grades.

I am hoping there's someone out there that is/have been in similar situation and would be able to advise?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
I found this on Queen Mary's FAQ site which is slightly promising. I will try to get in touch with university individually but any advice you are able to give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I am doing A levels, but I don't have GCSEs because I did my secondary schooling abroad can I still apply?
Yes, but you need to offer English Language from one of the following examinations:

IELTS with a score of 7.0 overall
GCSE/IGCSE/O-level in English Language at grade B
IELTS must have been taken within 2 years.
Usually, if you did your school education in a country where GCSEs were not an option you do not need these specific qualifications. However, you will need to list whatever school qualifications you did do (with subjects and grades) as UCAS requires all applicants to declare ALL qualifications.

Most Unis will want evidence of high achievement in maths and English so its worth you considering taking these two GCSEs alongside whatever A levels you decide to do. Yes, it'll be hard work, but Medicine is a demanding degree and Unis want evidence that you can cope with that amount of work, and still get high grades.

Remember that the 3 years residency means living permanently in the UK (ie. not on any sort of temporary visa) and 'for purposes other than education', ie. not doing A levels.

PS. From your previous posts it looks like you had a Medicine interview in 2008. How did you manage this without the right qualifications?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending