The Student Room Group

Do people still wear watches?

My dad bought me a £70 watch for my 18th and first thing I did was list it on ebay. I just don't see the point when everyone's got a phone.

Does anyone still keep a watch these days and if so why?

Scroll to see replies

For when in an exam room and cant take your phone and also for those times where your phone is dead
You're a douche for listing an expensive watch on ebay that your own dad got you tbh

Spoiler

I do :h:

I don't have to worry about it being stolen as it's not very expensive and easily replaced. Also it's useful for situations where I can't use my phone but need to easily see the time, like in an exam
I wear one. I find it's a lot easier to see the time. Rather than fumbling about in my pocket I can just look at my wrist. My phone is pretty hard to see on a sunny day, no such problem with my watch. Plus I wear it when I go swimming - again phone can't do that.
Original post by Alweedi
My dad bought me a £70 watch for my 18th and first thing I did was list it on ebay. I just don't see the point when everyone's got a phone.

Bit harsh - maybe he thought it would be nice and sentimental for such a big birthday? My mums got me a watch for my 18th birthday (She left her email open!) and I'll keep it regardless as to whether I like it as its a special present for a big birthday!

I still wear watches, but more for the image than telling the time - I do check the time on my phone rather than a watch:h:
Original post by Alweedi
My dad bought me a £70 watch for my 18th and first thing I did was list it on ebay.

A**hole.

Plenty of people do, it's quicker to check time with a watch and the battery lasts for months.
Yes, minimalistic watches are on trend atm.
Original post by Alweedi

I own 3 watches :cool:
i do i love watches especially quality pieces i have a tag heuer that i wear and am in the process of selling a 18ct white gold and diamond bezel, mother of pearl and diamond dial rolex daydate for about £15,000
I wear a watch almost everyday bc it looks kinda nice and I can tell the time in class easily without having to break my neck to see the clock or fumble through my bag for ages when we're supposed to be concentrating. :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wear a watch every day. Not only do I like the way they look, but it's handy to have one when I'm at work as I can't just take a look at my phone.

I don't understand why didn't you give the watch back to your dad if you knew you wouldn't wear it? Maybe it's just my way of looking at things, but it seems a bit wrong to me to be making money out of a brand new gift that your dad could have returned instead.
I doooo:smile:
I still wear a watch, and find it's just a nice thing to own too. It just adds a little something, and saves getting your phone out.
Maybe I'm just a little old-fashioned...

A Citizen Eco-Drive, by the way:smile:
Reply 14
I still wear a watch daily, it's still stylish regardless, plus, why take out your phone when you can just look at your wrist? I love my watch...Life saver at work too..

- Rotary Vintage Skeleton Watch by the way, can see the cogs turning :smile: Is quite expensive though...
(edited 8 years ago)
I have worn the same watch every day since I was four. Luckily Hello Kitty wasn't a thing in the early nineties.
I feel lost without my watch the same way I feel lost without my phone.
I wear a watch every day, i feel very naked without it! I find it easier to just quickly look at your wrist then get your phone out, turn the screen on etc. I also think they look nice, some people use them just a fashion statement haha
Reply 19
Original post by Alweedi

Right I've taken it off ebay. I'll give it a go and if that doesn't work I can always pass it on when I'm older.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending