The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do

My mum said that we can live together but that once I turn 18, we'll have nothing to do with each other because I'm gay. She said that we aren't mother and daughter anymore, but we can eat together and live together till I'm 18. I've got 2 years, but I don't know if I can live at home anymore. How am I supposed to live in a house where I am not wanted or loved? She basically thinks I was a waste of her time, energy and love. She cries at the thought of raising me only to find out that I would be this way. Apparently, it's all my fault. I would move out but having mental health problems makes it very difficult for me to take care of myself.

What am I to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Papilionoidea
My mum said that we can live together but that once I turn 18, we'll have nothing to do with each other because I'm gay. She said that we aren't mother and daughter anymore, but we can eat together and live together till I'm 18. I've got 2 years, but I don't know if I can live at home anymore. How am I supposed to live in a house where I am not wanted or loved? She basically thinks I was a waste of her time, energy and love. She cries at the thought of raising me only to find out that I would be this way. Apparently, it's all my fault. I would move out but having mental health problems makes it very difficult for me to take care of myself.

What am I to do?
I would find a friend who can take you in for a while, and do what you can. If your mother is going to be like that, then move out and cut ties. I can guarantee that if you move out and keep zero contact, she'll eventually try to get in touch.

What am I to do?

i am so sorry. your mom is disgusting, move out as soon as you can and never speak to her again even if she comes begging to you
Original post by Tootles
I would find a friend who can take you in for a while, and do what you can. If your mother is going to be like that, then move out and cut ties. I can guarantee that if you move out and keep zero contact, she'll eventually try to get in touch.

I have no close friends.
Original post by arcenciel21
i am so sorry. your mom is disgusting, move out as soon as you can and never speak to her again even if she comes begging to you

I don't know where to move!?!?!
I don't know where to move!?!?!

maybe close family members?? do you also live with or have contact with your dad?
Original post by arcenciel21
maybe close family members?? do you have contact with your dad?

No, my family is worse! And no, I don't.

What am I to do?

i know she is your mother but dont listen to her. every mother should love her child no matter what. just live your life i see nothing with being gay
Original post by candycaneland500
i know she is your mother but dont listen to her. every mother should love her child no matter what. just live your life i see nothing with being gay

BUT WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!

That is the problem!
BUT WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!

That is the problem!
try explaining to her or if she dont understand just go on living life the way you want
Original post by candycaneland500
try explaining to her or if she dont understand just go on living life the way you want

I have explained it to her! We've had family therapy and it hasn't helped.
I have explained it to her! We've had family therapy and it hasn't helped.

just ignore her then. its unfiar how she is deciding to not treat you like a daughter just because you are gay. wtf
Reply 12
A lot of things can change in 2 years. Plenty of homophobic parents see the error in their ways, especially when they see how big of an emotional hit it is on their kids when they deny their nature. Personally, I'd carry on living with her until I turned 18; maybe get a part time job so I don't have to spend much time with her and so that by the time I do turn 18, if she still wants to kick me out I'll have enough money to possible rent a place. As a side note: no matter what she might say or do, she'll still care for you and it is in no way your fault for being gay; it's a natural thing and you're brave for having told her (assuming you did).

Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do.

:smile:
Original post by AH127
A lot of things can change in 2 years. Plenty of homophobic parents see the error in their ways, especially when they see how big of an emotional hit it is on their kids when they deny their nature. Personally, I'd carry on living with her until I turned 18; maybe get a part time job so I don't have to spend much time with her and so that by the time I do turn 18, if she still wants to kick me out I'll have enough money to possible rent a place. As a side note: no matter what she might say or do, she'll still care for you and it is in no way your fault for being gay; it's a natural thing and you're brave for having told her (assuming you did).

Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do.

:smile:

Tbh being gay isn't the worst of it in her eyes, it's the fact that I'm not muslim.
Reply 14
Tbh being gay isn't the worst of it in her eyes, it's the fact that I'm not muslim.

Welp, that's a completely different bag of fish. As long as she doesn't try to force Islam down your throat though, I'd still go with my original advice if I were in your position. If you truly think you wouldn't be able to manage living with her though, you could always try childline or similar services. This is the kind of thing they deal with, and it doesn't sound like you have any other options. If that's also not much of an option for you though, you could always ask a teacher you trust for advice. They'll keep it confidential and most likely will have come across kids in similar situations in the past.
Original post by AH127
Welp, that's a completely different bag of fish. As long as she doesn't try to force Islam down your throat though, I'd still go with my original advice if I were in your position. If you truly think you wouldn't be able to manage living with her though, you could always try childline or similar services. This is the kind of thing they deal with, and it doesn't sound like you have any other options. If that's also not much of an option for you though, you could always ask a teacher you trust for advice. They'll keep it confidential and most likely will have come across kids in similar situations in the past.

She keeps telling me to come back to Islam! But anyways thanks.
Black -african

which african country
Original post by halal kebab5
which african country

Somalia
Somalia

which tribe
Original post by halal kebab5
which tribe

I don't know