The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Graduate application to Oxford

Scroll to see replies

How long has the OP been out of university?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
threeportdrift
I did the MSt in IR, for which references from my employers highlighting my 'academic' work for them played a large part. However, the nature of my employment also indicated I was used to meeting deadlines, keeping to agreed timetables, working under pressure, providing accurate, well researched written work etc, so I had all the 'transferable skills' as well.

I had to show my transcript from my undergrad degree 20 years previously (which the Uni in question was able to provide immediately!) but did not have to get any academic reference from staff there.

I've subsequently gone on to do a PhD in IR, same location.

wow 20 years, and this is your 2nd PhD in IR? hmm interesting..
Not my second PhD in IR, I did an undergrad degree 20ish years ago in Geography, got a 2.2. Got a job, worked at it for 17 odd years, applied for the MSt in IR, got a place, got the degree, gave up the job and started a PhD a year and a half ago.
sarah17
I would like to apply to do a masters in Arts/Humanities at Oxford in 2008. However, I only got a 2.2 in my undergraduate degree. Do you think it is worth applying to Oxford? Will they even consider an applicant with a 2.2?

No. Not unless you have some amazing publications.
They have too many applicants with Firsts and reject number of them.
With a 2.1 and amazing references, you might have a chance.

But a 2.2 ? Perhaps if you have a lot of relevant work experience, like threeportdrift...
Reply 24
acolyte

They have too many applicants with Firsts and reject number of them.
With a 2.1 and amazing references, you might have a chance.

I don't know that it's quite as hard to get entrance with a 2.1 as you suggest - think of Angelil's offer or a 2.1, and I have a friend who's offer is for a 2.1. They've asked me to aim for a First, but my academic transcript which was part of my application was mostly 2.1s
Reply 25
Fidelis Oditah
How long has the OP been out of university?

I graduated in 04/05 and am thinking of applying for 08/09 or 09/10.
Reply 26
threeportdrift
I did the MSt in IR, for which references from my employers highlighting my 'academic' work for them played a large part. However, the nature of my employment also indicated I was used to meeting deadlines, keeping to agreed timetables, working under pressure, providing accurate, well researched written work etc, so I had all the 'transferable skills' as well.

I had to show my transcript from my undergrad degree 20 years previously (which the Uni in question was able to provide immediately!) but did not have to get any academic reference from staff there.

I've subsequently gone on to do a PhD in IR, same location.

Thanks a lot for your response - at least there seems to be hope that it's not entirely out of the question for me to get in one day!
sarah17
Thanks a lot for your response - at least there seems to be hope that it's not entirely out of the question for me to get in one day!

What is your motivation for going to Oxford?
Some news for those applying for Oxford's MPhil in IR. Apparently a round of offers / rejections have been sent out.
fidelis - i laughed out loud when reading your sig. does this make me a bad man?
Reply 30
The Boosh
fidelis - i laughed out loud when reading your sig. does this make me a bad man?

Yes, as a matter of fact it does. There'll probably be a thread about you next: Why do Exeter Students Smile at Racism? or something like that.:p:
yeah probably, knowing this random place.
Reply 32
The hardest part is getting the interview in the first place.

My tip is to include every single qualification you can on the application. Sometimes it is tempting to leave off things which perhaps aren't strictly relevant or may make it look like you haven't wanted to study that subject your whole life :rolleyes: For example, I have loads of computer-based qualifications (and other random stuff) which I acquired in previous employment, and was a bit worried about including them on my application since I didn't want to emphasise my non-biological past, as it were. As it happens, they seemed quite impressed as they saw many of these as transferable skills and it gave me loads to talk about in the interview.
Reply 33
Hi,

Wondering if anyone could advise me - for my postgraduate applications, I have to supply an extract of a longer piece of undergrad. work, does anyone know how long the note giving context to it should be? Or if there is any specific way this should be written? Or just any tips on extracting longer essays, Im finding it difficult as feel like I have now disrupted its flow.

Thanks so much any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending