The Student Room Group

Goldsmiths' Bahar Mustafa charged for sending '#killallwhitemen' tweet

Scroll to see replies

Following the law of the country, she is guilty. I hope justice is served.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Oh, this is really making me laugh, there must have been millions of tweets by men with horrible misogynistic messages and 'jokes' in bad taste involving violence to women that have gone completely unpunished and here we have one joke in bad taste mistake by a woman who fits the stereotype for the attack dogs in the Mail and other scumbag papers and bang, she's suddenly under arrest.

As a diversity officer, she was expressing the ideological underpinning of her beliefs, which at its core consists of a narrative in which White Men are "oppressors" and everyone else is a "victim".

"Victims" in this analysis do not have power, and are not privileged, so they are permitted to use any means to seek redress.

Whereas White Men are the class enemy and whipping up hatred in the name of equality is what diversity officers do, so important is it that this rag-tag coalition of victims gains awareness of who the enemy is and learns to hate them accordingly.

So as far as Ms Mustafa and her University is concerned she has done nothing wrong whatsoever. She is fighting the good fight. I expect she is completely bewildered to be told she has committed a crime.

The funny thing is that you know all of this perfectly well, which is why the proponents of this belief system usually prefer to duck and dive around the consequences, prevaricating with cute phrases like "we don't hate white men, we just want equality" and shy away from expressing them lest the bare naked truth, freed of the academic pseudo-babble which has allowed it to spread unchecked throughout our institutions, frightens the horses.
This is one of the funniest sentences I've ever read [from the Guardian article in OP]:

This article was amended on 7 October 2015. It originally referred to “non-binary” women. That should have been non-binary attendees. This has been corrected.
"It's bigoted and wrong, but it's not racist"

[video="youtube;0vBmqqO0F_k"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vBmqqO0F_k[/video]

#killallblackmen would be considered racist by pretty much everyone.
Original post by TheEssence
These people really irritate me. The types that say women can't be sexist and POC's can't be racist because structures in society do not put them in a position to exert power over other groups.

It's an incorrect conflation of racism and STRUCTURAL racism. I ( as a black man) can definitely be racist towards ad white man, even if he's richer and more influential than me in society. Can i give effect to structural racism against him? I don't think so.

These type of people judge racism on its consequences, and not as an act in itself.

I know what you mean, but I think the difference in power relations does matter. It wouldn't make sense for me as a woman to go around screaming abuse at men, but I think women should have a lot more leeway to make jokes about men, even quite dark humour, than the other way round. If white people went around making references about violence to black people as a joke, it would be much more reasonable for black people to be outraged by that than it would the other way around. Of course, there are limits to all these things.
Original post by Lady Comstock
The hashtag wasn't, "I want to see all white men killed" was it? It was written as a demand.

Say some influential figure on the far-right wrote something similar and a couple of nutters took up such a demand and killed ethnic minorities. Would you be fine for the person who wrote the demand in the first place to go unpunished even though that statement incited the violence?

Of course not, but it isn't exactly plausible that there will be a sudden inflammation of women everywhere from a tweet that will cause them to wreak havoc on white men, is it?

This woman isn't perfect, but she shouldn't be under arrest for what is essentially a piece of agitprop protest rather than the sort of oppressive remark the catch-all legislation was originally supposedly designed to address.
Warning... contains the word ****ed

Spoiler

Bit rich of Turkish Cypriot acting as the oppressed when her ancestors were experts in invasion and part of a group which killed, enslaved and raped.
I know what you mean, but I think the difference in power relations does matter. It wouldn't make sense for me as a woman to go around screaming abuse at men, but I think women should have a lot more leeway to make jokes about men, even quite dark humour, than the other way round. If white people went around making references about violence to black people as a joke, it would be much more reasonable for black people to be outraged by that than it would the other way around. Of course, there are limits to all these things.

That is as sexist as it gets. What right do women have to get more freedom to be sexist and prejudice towards men??

You make me sick.

[video]http://m0.joe.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/11194650/outragegif.gif[/video]
Original post by Errm84
I suppose her ancestors invaded, killed, enslaved and raped white men from Britain?

Proof that they haven't?

What a witless response.
Original post by Errm84
Your second point (bolded) sums up your earlier interrogative perfectly. :smile:

What that I'm somehow "bigoted". Oh please...
Original post by Errm84
That's the problem with strawmen. They burn easily...

You are simply being pretentious now. Onto my ignore list you go!
Original post by BruceJender
What that I'm somehow "bigoted". Oh please...

don't waste your time with him he'll be banned again soon
Original post by BaconandSauce
don't waste your time with him he'll be banned again soon

Didn't know he had been before. Cheers :smile: he's on my ignore list now.
Original post by BruceJender
Didn't know he had been before. Cheers :smile: he's on my ignore list now.

Yes he started as errm1 but unfortunately spoils tsr by using multi accounts (no point adding him to ignore he'll be back as ErmmXX a few minutes later so ignore always fails
(edited 8 years ago)
Of course not, but it isn't exactly plausible that there will be a sudden inflammation of women everywhere from a tweet that will cause them to wreak havoc on white men, is it?

No, but it is perfectly plausible that an individual nutter will read that demand and act on it. It's also an unacceptable threat to the group which the comment is directed.

If a far-right figure posted the same thing but replaced "white men" with an ethnic minority and a nutter went out and killed someone, do you honestly think the far-right leader should not be prosecuted?

This woman isn't perfect, but she shouldn't be under arrest for what is essentially a piece of agitprop protest rather than the sort of oppressive remark the catch-all legislation was originally supposedly designed to address.

She made a comment inciting murder, which no democratic society includes under "free speech". Whether you believe it was just an "agitprop protest" (you know this how?) is immaterial.
Original post by A5ko
Tie her to a bomb and drop her on Syria.

Here we have a nice example of the sort of 'hate of women' comments that we get bombarded with constantly. Cases like this one are treated as trojan horses by reactionaries to spread their hate messages. Sexism runs amok at times like this, which is why the right wing media delight in this type of story.

Make no mistake, this is part an attempt by the reactionary elements to turn back the clock on years of progress and reintroduce organised oppression of women.
Have worse things been said but not been reported? Yes.

Does that mean this isn't a crime? No.

Just like on here, if something breaks the rules but isn't reported it likely won't get removed.
People have to learn that they are responsible for what they put on the internet, "its only social media" isn't an excuse.
Here we have a nice example of the sort of 'hate of women' comments that we get bombarded with constantly. Cases like this one are treated as trojan horses by reactionaries to spread their hate messages. Sexism runs amok at times like this, which is why the right wing media delight in this type of story.

Make no mistake, this is part an attempt by the reactionary elements to turn back the clock on years of progress and reintroduce organised oppression of women.

Hating on a woman = hating on all women? How?

(Clearly what he said was wrong, but you're taking 2+2 and making 40,000.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending