The Student Room Group

C3 Modulus Inequality

image.jpg

Could anyone tell me where I've gone wrong? The book has a different answer. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Fudge2
image.jpg

Could anyone tell me where I've gone wrong? The book has a different answer. :smile:

I'm just going out, but you need to look at the critical regions for BOTH moduli - you can't necessarily assume that one stays with a + in front, while the other side can have either + or - in front of it!

Look at where EITHER side needs a minus sign put in front and then sort out the appropriate regions to investigate :smile:
Reply 2
On the right hand side of the right hand side you should've expanded modulus to get -2x - 2, try that
Reply 3
A good tip is to always sketch graphs to see where the intersection points are, and whether your answers are roughly correct. It helps a lot, and you can avoid a lot of stupid mistakes :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by davros
I'm just going out, but you need to look at the critical regions for BOTH moduli - you can't necessarily assume that one stays with a + in front, while the other side can have either + or - in front of it!

Look at where EITHER side needs a minus sign put in front and then sort out the appropriate regions to investigate :smile:

Ok haha. I'm afraid my knowledge on this subject is kinda limited...critical regions? I'm not sure how to determine which one turns to a minus. Is there a better way of solving these?

Original post by vannson
On the right hand side of the right hand side you should've expanded modulus to get -2x - 2, try that

How do you know to do that?
Reply 5
Original post by Fudge2
Ok haha. I'm afraid my knowledge on this subject is kinda limited...critical regions? I'm not sure how to determine which one turns to a minus. Is there a better way of solving these?

Okay, that was more of a guess... Try sketching both of them. If my sketch is right, you should be solving -x + 2 = 2x + 2 and -x + 2 = -2x - 2... Does that work?
Reply 6
Original post by vannson
Okay, that was more of a guess... Try sketching both of them. If my sketch is right, you should be solving -x + 2 = 2x + 2 and -x + 2 = -2x - 2... Does that work?

It makes sense if I sketch them. Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Fudge2

If you look at |x - 2| it behaves differently where x < 2 from where x > 2
Similarly, |x + 1| switches where x < -1 and x > -1

So you need to sort out what happens when x < -1, when -1 < x < 2 and when x > 2

Alternatively, the graphing method will work if you're happy with that,

But you need to know both methods in case a question doesn't give you a choice!

Quick Reply

Latest