The Student Room Group

Is Cambridge the right enviroment for me?

I've always wanted to go to a school which has a very academic enviroment i.e. Do students frequently have intellectual discussions such as (and I'm spitballing here) the possibilities of the events of Jurrasic Park happening now or in the future?
Whenever I try to have any such discussion at my school, they look at me like I'm crazy. My brother loves science way more than I do and talks about it a lot, and is mockingly called 'Science'
Also, are there any other unis that have that sort of enviroment.
Original post by bekinwari
I've always wanted to go to a school which has a very academic enviroment i.e. Do students frequently have intellectual discussions such as (and I'm spitballing here) the possibilities of the events of Jurrasic Park happening now or in the future?
Whenever I try to have any such discussion at my school, they look at me like I'm crazy. My brother loves science way more than I do and talks about it a lot, and is mockingly called 'Science'

You can do tons of 'intellectual discussions' with your supervisors and fellow student/s at supervisions. That's the one of most important and main feature of supervisions.
But in daily life with your friends, they usually talk about something not too academic, as the work at Cambridge is so intense and demanding, I think most prefer some breaks from it in their free time.
But that sort of thing will probably depend on what sort of people you hang around with, obviously....
Though if you ask whether Cambridge is academic, there aren't many universities in uk as academic as cambridge. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)

In the first year, me and my friends had loads and loads of these at Cambridge. As the difficulty of the work increased, we fell off a bit :P
I bet you would love it. My daughter says the intellectual atmosphere is everything it is cracked up to be and she is blooming in the most wonderful ways there. Of course, it is extremely intense, she plans her schedule months in advance, and between singing activities and acting, she often feels the time is passing too fast.
Original post by Smaug123
In the first year, me and my friends had loads and loads of these at Cambridge. As the difficulty of the work increased, we fell off a bit :P

I think that sounds quite typical....and normal. :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by vincrows
You can do tons of 'intellectual discussions' with your supervisors and fellow student/s at supervisions. That's the one of most important and main feature of supervisions.
But in daily life with your friends, they usually talk about something not too academic, as the work at Cambridge is so intense and demanding, I think most prefer some breaks from it in their free time.
But that sort of thing will probably depend on what sort of people you hang around with, obviously....
Though if you ask whether Cambridge is academic, there aren't many universities in uk as academic as cambridge. :wink:

Are there any other uni that are also very academic?
Reply 6

The Other Place.

And to a greater or lesser degree any good uni. You are among peers who are similar high achievers and passionate about your subject and the world around. It's what uni is for...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any top RG unis are very academic, but it doesn't mean everyone spends all their time discussiing academic stuff in their spare them as well. And that goes to Cambrudge and Oxford. But any of them would be much more academic than a school-environment you are in at the moment, which I believe what you want. :wink:.

But one thing you can say about Cambridge (and probably Oxford) is that their courses tend to be more academic/research-focused than those of other unis, so when you're choosing unis to apply, that's one thing you should really research well; make sure you like the course's contents and their style of teaching.

I don't think events of Jurrasic Park are possible.
I have just created a Cambridge environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hoping this is a troll but due to my faith in humanity I'm hoping it's a genuine question :smile:

Cambridge isn't necessarily the only institution where you will be surrounded by very smart and hard-working people who more often than not genuinely love their subject.
Reply 10

I suppose a lot of it depends on which college you go to and who your friends are. But at my college, people have intellectual discussions a lot! Like over dinner people will be discussing philosophy, history, astronomy and so forth. It really surprised me when I got here! So yeah, Cambridge is definitely a great environment for that.
Original post by lilza
I suppose a lot of it depends on which college you go to and who your friends are. But at my college, people have intellectual discussions a lot! Like over dinner people will be discussing philosophy, history, astronomy and so forth. It really surprised me when I got here! So yeah, Cambridge is definitely a great environment for that.

I don't think it's to do with which college, but more to do with being bright-eyed freshers still with lots of hope and excitement. :wink: :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending