The Student Room Group

Why is the UK inferior to America?

Scroll to see replies

America is the most Violent, Corrupt and Dangerous Country on the Planet.
Original post by United1892
You're just jealous because our football is better than yours.

And yet they're still better at actual football than England...
It's 40.5 times bigger than the UK for goodness sake. It's a continent not a country. At least half of Canada is inhabitable.

Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Having lived and studied in both countries I can safely say the UK is much better in every aspect over the US.
What state were you based out of interest?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
And yet they're still better at actual football than England...

Not quite. Although they are dangerously close.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
America is the most Violent, Corrupt and Dangerous Country on the Planet.

Think your thinking of El Salvador mate.
Having lived and studied in both countries I can safely say the UK is much bejitter in every aspect over the US.

Finally an unbiased opinion
God save our gracious Queen!
Long live our noble Queen!
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen.

Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour,
Long may she reign.
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen.
Reply 27
I agree, America has this, we dontFB_IMG_1443365136568.jpg
*copies and pastes thread and sends to Obama*
*closes laptop and brushes hands off *
Original post by United1892
Think your thinking of El Salvador mate.

I think USA is more of a threat to the world than El Salvador.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
I think USA is more of a threat to the world than El Salvador.

Not the most violent country though.

If you think the US is bad take a look at Russia, Iran, Syria etc.
Original post by jam277
It's 40.5 times bigger than the UK for goodness sake. It's a continent not a country. At least half of Canada is inhabitable.

What state were you based out of interest?

Philadelphia, PA.
Original post by cesca1u1u
Finally an unbiased opinion

Well I was there long enough.

I did enjoy it eventually but I didn't feel like it was in any way "better" than the UK except for the weather (sometimes) and the fact they have a much higher GDP.

Other than that I wasn't too sad to leave.
Philadelphia, PA.

[video="youtube_share;aRHmw2GC1qo"]http://youtu.be/aRHmw2GC1qo[/video]
I lived in the US for a few months, I loved the first couple of weeks and thought it was incredible however after a while the "magic" wore off and I started to really dislike it. I continued my cross North American trip into Mexico.
We have the NHS which automatically makes your point invalid, OP.
Original post by That's so mean:(
giphy.jpg

Hear hear
Original post by Seahawks11
The UK is a weak, failed state nowadays. It should be annexed by the US.
And yet it's the USA that's so unstable that, were the civil authorities to collapse, the entire country would undergo a social apocalypse within three days.

Whereas in the UK, we'd pretty much carry on as usual: having over a thousand years of history behind us, inclusing countless revolutions and reforms does that to a country. We cope better. Just because out state is falling apart at the moment doesn't mean we're falling apart as a country, it means we're not far off another reform.

And lo! we shall rise up, and then we'll make the bugger's eyes water.
Original post by Seahawks11
The UK is a weak, failed state nowadays. It should be annexed by the US.

I disagree. The UK's military is sufficient to defend their comparatively small land mass. If they needed a bigger one to invade another country, they could raise a bigger army and build a fleet of warships. Unless they decide to go to war with France or Ireland again, I think the ocean keeps them fairly safe. Bear in mind, the UK also has their own nuclear weapons.

Actually, sometimes I think the US would have been better off if we'd never declared independence in 1776. For one thing, the slave trade would have been abolished by 1807, and slavery would have been outlawed by the 1830s. There would have been fewer slaves brought over, and the ones that were here would have had more time to become established and lose their resentment.

The other thing is that I suspect we might have ended up being more like Canada. A relatively democratic, free, capitalist nation without a Wild West-style gun culture or excessively libertarian social policies.

The leaders of the American Revolution were educated planters, lawyers, and merchants being influenced by the Enlightenment. This was not a popular revolt, but much of the population was intimidated by the Patriots with tarring and feathering. Eventually, many people just chose the winning side out of fear rather than genuine support for the cause. The Patriots were terrorists, to use modern-day standards.

This is not well-known, but there was a covert element in supporters of the Confederacy that were still holding onto resentment towards the Union because their families had been Loyalists that were tarred and feathered, killed, or pressed into service against their will. They would have lied about this even to other Southerners, because the sentiment wasn't popular, and they were hoping to use the slavery issue to divide the Union and weaken it. They were just that bitter.

In other words, a lot of people secretly had their own reasons to hate the Union, but the slavery and States' Rights issues were the only ones that garnered enough support to be safe for open discussion. After all, the people willing and able to fund the war were slave owners with cotton plantations. I was honestly surprised when I found out about this, because I would have expected an area of the country as rural and ignorant as the South to tend towards being rebellious and violent in general, but apparently it wasn't always like that.

The US is only superior to the UK if you're a wealthy businessman that enjoys taking your 8-year old son out hunting with a real rifle (yes, I know someone that let their 8-year old fire a real gun, and it was legal under state law). The military is very strong, and I think the only thing I like about living here is that it's a fairly well-defended country due to having a large military and bases all over the world. It gives you a sense of security when it comes to foreign invasions... but when you have so many mentally unstable neighbours with guns, you start to wonder whether it's the foreigners you need to be worried about. You know what I mean?

Don't get me wrong, I prefer living in the US to living in some place like Latin America or the Middle East. It might even be fine if I could afford to live in the New England states, Hawaii, or California that have stricter gun laws and a more pleasant culture. But sometimes I think I'd rather live in Canada. LOL.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
God save our gracious Queen!
Long live our noble Queen!
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen.

Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour,
Long may she reign.
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen.

Why does no-one ever include the verse about scattering enemies and frustrating tricks and so forth?

That's the best one.

Quick Reply

Latest