The Student Room Group

I feel depressed whenever I see a homeless person

Every morning of a college day, when I walk a lot of the way to college, I see a homeless person (there always seems to be one, which interchanges with others, but no more.) I also see one very close to my college if I go out at lunchtime.

I always feel depressed, although momentarily in the grand scheme of things. I even earlier felt shameful that I hadn't done more, and deliberately avoid walking past, veering around instead. I can't really donate money, because I don't have much, but I suppose I have spare time. (It makes me feel guilty buying anything indulgent out.)

It just really gets to me; that I'm in a more fortunate position than they are, that I have a place to go home, and food.

Yes it is momentarily, but I feel this way every single day I go to college, at least once, possibly twice, because I pass one in the morning, and another possibly at lunchtime.

Sorry, just had to get this off my chest.

(I can predict someone mentioning about that they could go to XYZ, but I don't know for sure what their options are, and they have nevertheless ended up in that predicament.)
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You're really undermining the meaning of the word depression there mate :tongue:

Recall that the vast majority of them are in that position because of terrible life decisions on their part. Having children too early and with too many women. Drug addictions. Criminal records and thus lack of job. Or all three combined. It is hard to be homeless in this country. Not impossible. And once you slip down the slope of it it is a rut that is very difficult to get out even if you're a changed man (and it is men most of the time) unfortunately... But ultimately it is there fault they are there in that position the vast majority of the time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Why don't you do something about it by supporting a homeless charity?
Nice to have you on the forum, Mr Corbyn :smile:
Original post by TorpidPhil
You're really undermining the meaning of the word depression there mate :tongue:

I never, because I said "I feel depressed" for that very reason.
If I meant it made me depressed, I would have said so.

feel
i too feel quite sad to see people less fortunate than me
Original post by XcitingStuart
I never, because I said "I feel depressed" for that very reason.
If I meant it made me depressed, I would have said so.

feel

Yeah? I don't think depressed is the right word. It can't hit you that hard. You said it was only momentary. Not something that keeps coming back endlessly and won't go away out of your mind. It's just a passing sadness because you are empathetic.
Original post by MAINE.
Kick them. You will feel much better.

What a useless comment.

Original post by Mpagtches
Nice to have you on the forum, Mr Corbyn :smile:

I was initially going to say "**** off", but now I'm just going to say...

Seriously?

Original post by Reue
Why don't you do something about it by supporting a homeless charity?

I should.
I'll see what i can do.
Reply 8
I feel extremely sad too. I was coming back from the theatre in London, and I saw this homeless man in the underground. He was begging for money and he had bruises all over his body. I wanted to give him money, but my sisters were hurrying me. I cried when I came home, it makes me really sad. I thought about it the next day too. It's sad in such a wealthy country people still suffer so much.
Yeah? I don't think depressed is the right word. It can't hit you that hard. You said it was only momentary. Not something that keeps coming back endlessly and won't go away out of your mind. It's just a passing sadness because you are empathetic.

Saying one feels depressed is of a far far lower magnitude than saying one is depressed; semantics.
I honestly said feel for that very reason, and that's how I would interpret it if it was said to me, but I'll consider this in the future.
I know how you feel, I walked past one today and just felt terrible for some reason :redface:
I live in an area where most of the homeless people from my town live in, (really ****ty council estate).
Some of these guys had good lives going for them, this one guy used to own a business (groceries), wife/kids, lost it and turned to heroin. Tbh, I usually give them what change I have. Even if it goes to drugs, idc
Original post by drowzee
I feel extremely sad too. I was coming back from the theatre in London, and I saw this homeless man in the underground. He was begging for money and he had bruises all over his body. I wanted to give him money, but my sisters were hurrying me. I cried when I came home, it makes me really sad. I thought about it the next day too. It's sad in such a wealthy country people still suffer so much.

Original post by Lord Samosa
I know how you feel, I walked past one today and just felt terrible for some reason :redface:

Awww TSRians are such lovely folk. Now we must all promise to donate money to homeless charities/volunteer to aid them!

:grouphugs:
I feel the same.. I always wish I carried cash and even when I do give money it doesn't feel enough. I think 'if I gave £10 I would still be okay.. I could even give £50 or £100 and still not be home less ' but where do you draw the line... I think the problem is we don't get given information on what really helps. I have seen posters saying give to homeless charities, not homeless people...
Sorry I'm just rambling
I'm so used to them I just walk by. But there's one guy in my area who is just...almost looks unhuman like he walks around barefoot and slumped and doesn't look at people and hides on the benches under a blanket in 80 degree weather and always has random things with him. His legs look like he has ebola but he's nice.

He was on the train once going through his bag and people came on and as soon as they saw him dashed away to the other side

:confused:

I intentionally took a seat next to him. And some guys were making fun of him like where's he going? I wanted to spit on them.
Awww TSRians are such lovely folk. Now we must all promise to donate money to homeless charities/volunteer to aid them!

:grouphugs:

Lol calm down mate. I merely said I felt bad at seeing their predicament, no need to get sarcy
Original post by drowzee

:redface:

Poor soul.

I'm sorry that you had to feel that.

Last part totally agreeable.
Original post by Lord Samosa
Lol calm down mate. I merely said I felt bad at seeing their predicament, no need to get sarcy

I wasn't actually joking. What reason other than selfishness do you have to not try and aid them?
Original post by Hevachan
I feel the same.. I always wish I carried cash and even when I do give money it doesn't feel enough. I think 'if I gave £10 I would still be okay.. I could even give £50 or £100 and still not be home less ' but where do you draw the line... I think the problem is we don't get given information on what really helps. I have seen posters saying give to homeless charities, not homeless people...
Sorry I'm just rambling

I don't habitually give money. Idk what they'd do with it. When they ask I do give them what I can but normally I whiz by not willing to stop for anyone. I don't feel guilty or anything, I just pray I never end up like that.

I was watching a documentary called What Would You Do? and they had a decoy actor pretend to be homeless and basically punk'ed civilians in a restaurant. Most people not only denied giving the guy money they very nastily asked him to leave. Then one guy got up and bought him a full meal, with a drink, and walked outside to give it to him.

I...cried.
I don't.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Latest