The Student Room Group

Careers that need no maths or people skills

Hi, I'm looking to start a new career but I'm really bad a maths to the point were I can't even work out change and have tried doing adult literacy course and failed the basic level test. I also have serious anxiety issues with people. I'm more of a creative person and I prefer to work alone. I'm looking for a career that earns good money and could one day lead to me working from home. I'm not willing to spend time and money going to uni if at the end the I get less than 25 grand per year with the potential of later making 30 grand or more. I also want to work indoors sitting down and not break a sweat. Could anyone give me a few ideas.
Reply 1
I think we would all love that mate :P
Original post by Bryan Jones
Hi, I'm looking to start a new career but I'm really bad a maths to the point were I can't even work out change and have tried doing adult literacy course and failed the basic level test. I also have serious anxiety issues with people. I'm more of a creative person and I prefer to work alone. I'm looking for a career that earns good money and could one day lead to me working from home. I'm not willing to spend time and money going to uni if at the end the I get less than 25 grand per year with the potential of later making 30 grand or more. I also want to work indoors sitting down and not break a sweat. Could anyone give me a few ideas.

Freelancing could be an option but you'd need to provide a skill or service and it's pretty competitive (eg. Freelance writing)

Buying/selling on places like Amazon, Ebay and Gumtree.

There's virtual assistant jobs where all you need is a dedicated telephone line (separate from your home line), a computer with internet access, and a headset with a microphone.

Youtube - Very difficult to earn enough from this unless you get millions of subscribers and views.

Realistically though you can't expect a job where you're sat indoors without doing much work. My advice is work/treat the cause of your anxiety with people.

Perhaps find an apprenticeship?
we would all love that but the reality is you need people skills for work. even freelancing, you need to negotiate pay and draw up contracts and keep the client up to date. I would recommend you get some work experience in the creative field such as graphic design, video producing, game design, web design, animator, UI design for a small company or volunteering. They all require technical as well as creative skills but you can work from home. However, if you are at work, you are definitely more likely to develop overall confidence and increase your overall life skills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending