The Student Room Group

How to tell the doctor I'm depressed??

I've made about 3 doctor appointments and each time I get too scared to talk about my mental health problems and start talking about headaches or allergies. I've made another appointment for Thursday and this time I really want to stop avoiding the problem and face it. But I dont know how to approach it? Or what to say? All I know is I feel incredibly out of energy and sad all the time and have felt suicidal many times. This has been going on for a year now and I still dont know what might have caused it. This cycle of depression is horrible and I just want to get rid of it. I've tried drinking, pills and sleeping and none work. I dont know what to do or say when I go see the doctor.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think a lot of people struggle to talk about mental health problems with a doctor. What I would recommend is to take some time to write out all your symptoms (even just with bulletpoints would be fine). That way you'll know what you want to tell him, which should hopefully make it easier for you to do so. If you do feel like opting out, you could even just hand him the bit of paper.

Making that first step is so difficult but it may result in you getting help and feeling better so that's gotta be worth it, right?
Just call up as soon as possible to make an appointment, and when they ask you what the appointment is for tell the receptionist (or whoever makes the appointments) that you think you may be depressed. Most doctors will be sympathetic. Try not to worry about it in advance, just get in as soon as you can.
Original post by curiousduck
I've made about 3 doctor appointments and each time I get too scared to talk about my mental health problems and start talking about headaches or allergies. I've made another appointment for Monday and this time I really want to stop avoiding the problem and face it. But I dont know how to approach it? Or what to say? All I know is I feel incredibly out of energy and sad all the time and have felt suicidal many times. This has been going on for a year now and I still dont know what might have caused it. This cycle of depression is horrible and I just want to get rid of it. I've tried drinking, pills and sleeping and none work. I dont know what to do or say when I go see the doctor.

Write a short letter saying that you think you are depressed and why you think that, even if you just wrote out your original post it would be fine. Hand it to the doctor and they'll just be able to take it from there - they'll just ask a few questions about symptoms and then probably make another appointment where they can discuss helping you.

Trying to get help is one of the hardest parts of depression. My first time seeing a doctor was very complicated because Childline told the police who made me see a doctor, and all of that was terrifying. My 10 minute appointment lasted for 50 minutes and I spent most of that crying. But things are getting better now. Remember you can tell them as much as you want at your own pace - and writing was one of the easiest things for me to do that.
alcohol is a depressant. It certainly won't help you. Start with I feel sad all the time and sometimes have suicidal thoughts. I've felt like this for the past year. Your doctor will take it from there. They may give yu sme medication and perhaps arrange fr you to talk to someone.

Once you have help with the depression you are likely to find you have more energy.
you could say something like ' i believe i am suffering from a low mood that is effecting me in daily activities'. you could even write it down on paper as a note and pass it to the GP. or even just go in and say ' i think i maybe depressed'. they will most likely give you a questionnaire to fill quickly and prescribe pills - depending on what they think.
I felt the same way before i saw my doctor about depression.
Reply 6
Original post by Sabertooth
write out all your symptoms (even just with bulletpoints would be fine). That way you'll know what you want to tell him, which should hopefully make it easier for you to do so. If you do feel like opting out, you could even just hand him the bit of paper.
This

Original post by Anonymous
Write a short letter saying that you think you are depressed and why you think that, even if you just wrote out your original post it would be fine. Hand it to the doctor and they'll just be able to take it from there
and this.
When I wanted to talk to someone about my difficulties to do with mental health I would write down the points beforehand and then just give them the paper; that way, nothing important will be missed out and you get it over and down with in one simple action of handing over a piece of paper.
I really like the suggestion of writing it down on paper.

I'm a medical student and have spoken to/ seen doctors talk to people with depression. Unfortunately depression is one of those things that's easy to miss especially in young people so doctors may miss it.

If its the physical act of going into the GPs and talking to the doctor face to face, most surgeries offer telephone consultations with the GP. You could call up the surgery and speak to the GP on the phone instead?
All you need to do is just mention the problem, and the doctor will take it from there.

Good luck!
Reply 9
I can understand your situation. But your problem of depression must be solved.Hence you should try to tell doctor about your depression without fear.At last he is a doctor, nobody else.The best way is you can write down your depression symptoms on a paper and give it to doctor.
I hope you were able to tell the doctor this time, if not I suggest you post them a letter saying how hard you find it to talk about it.
Original post by parentlurker
I hope you were able to tell the doctor this time, if not I suggest you post them a letter saying how hard you find it to talk about it.

Yup I was kinda able although I hardly think I delivered it in the best way :/

Thanks for all the tips guys <3
I would literally just say "I've been feeling quite depressed lately". Your doctor will then ask all the questions, do all the examinations he/she needs. I was really impressed with how my GP handled things actually as I was nervous to speak to him. I've opened up to a few friends recently about being depressed and I'm really surprised how many of them are suffering with their mental health too. Remember that the day you get help is the day you begin to feel better. You won't be the first, or the last person to tell them you feel depressed. One morning of feeling brave, and you can improve how you feel drastically.
You can tell them- they won't listen. Or the will refer you... Takes 9 months for an assessment if your under 18. Basically if you haven't ended up in hospital the chances of them helping are slim. Not that I'm encouraging that of course but might as well be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Failingstudent98
You can tell them- they won't listen. Or the will refer you... Takes 9 months for an assessment if your under 18. Basically if you haven't ended up in hospital the chances of them helping are slim. Not that I'm encouraging that of course but might as well be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

9 months? She said a month at the most and she's seeing me again next week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
9 months? She said a month at the most and she's seeing me again next week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow they are quick where you live- CAMHS (or whatever it is) assessments where I am take up to 9months and I never saw the doctor again about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Failingstudent98
Wow they are quick where you live- CAMHS (or whatever it is) assessments where I am take up to 9months and I never saw the doctor again about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww that's a shame :frown: Maybe you just didn't get a good doctor :/ I live in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww that's a shame :frown: Maybe you just didn't get a good doctor :/ I live in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live in Kent (the first borough out of London)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest