The Student Room Group

Is Glasgow worth visiting?

I have never been to Scotland don't know any people there. Am travelling on my own. I speak good English..

Is Glasgow worth visiting if you are on your own, what can I do there and how many days would it take

I don't have much money should I just stay with Edinburgh..
100% yes. Glasgow is a brilliant city.
No, it's rubbish!
Edinburgh all the way.
If you want to go somewhere else too, how about Aberdeen, Dundee or even highlands/islands?
Original post by Wilfred Little
100% yes. Glasgow is a brilliant city.

Where should I go if I am solo, how many days would you spend there?

Mgpatches

No, it's rubbish!
Edinburgh all the way.
If you want to go somewhere else too, how about Aberdeen, Dundee or even highlands/islands?

Why rubbish?

Aberdeen looks nice was thinking of highlands but won't it be muddy at this time of year?
Original post by SwedishRedhead
Where should I go if I am solo, how many days would you spend there?

You would be better off asking a Glaswegian.

Why rubbish?

Because he is talking out of his arse.
Original post by Wilfred Little
You would be better off asking a Glaswegian.

Because he is talking out of his arse.

I don't know any, have you visited?
Reply 6
Original post by Mpagtches
No, it's rubbish!
Edinburgh all the way.

Agree. You should definitely visit Edinburgh! It has been rated as the most beautiful city in the UK!
Don't bother with Aberdeen, Glasgow is great but I must admit I was disappointed with Edinburgh when we visited the uni.
Original post by alexkol
Agree. You should definitely visit Edinburgh! It has been rated as the most beautiful city in the UK!

Where should I go there?

Glasgow looks nice in the pictures

Lemonpopsicle2

Don't bother with Aberdeen, Glasgow is great but I must admit I was disappointed with Edinburgh when we visited the uni.

Why were you disappointed?

I don't know if I want to go to Aberdeen or the highlands.. I am from Sweden so we have loads of mountains I want to see the cities
Reply 9
I went to Glasgow, and despite the bad press it was a lovely city. Quite a few shops, if that's your thing, and museums if that interests you. The nightlife was great, with a strong local music scene, and the people were as friendly as can be.

However speaking purely from a 'touristic' point of view I think Edinburgh is better as it more geared towards international visitors, with more attractions and a lot of history. Whereas Glasgow is more of a working city if that makes sense?
Why were you disappointed?

I thought it was dirty and there were lots of drunks about in the middle of the day. I wanted to love it as we had visited Edinburgh 20 years ago and loved it, but we were disappointed this time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, you should definitely visit Glasgow if you ever come to Scotland. Edinburgh is great but it's very touristy and if you want a feel of what Scotland is actually like, go to Glasgow. It gets a bad name at times but tbh, I've never had any trouble in the city. In fact I have felt safer than I have in any other place, including my own hometown. There are plenty of things to see and do in Glasgow. I would suggest 2 days minimum. Lots of places are free to visit as well which is a bonus :tongue:

Plenty of shops, restaurants, cinemas, pubs etc and the transport is very good too. Great transport links in Glasgow to all sorts of places in Scotland. From Glasgow you can take a short train journey to Loch Lomond or to Ayr (my hometown :tongue: ) or travel further afield like Edinburgh, Dundee, Oban etc.

The city has a great vibe and like I said before, I've never experience any trouble there and everyone I've met there either doesn't bother with you or they are friendly. It does have it's rough areas though and I've been to them frequently but if you are a tourist, you won't have any reason for going to those areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Swanbow
I went to Glasgow, and despite the bad press it was a lovely city. Quite a few shops, if that's your thing, and museums if that interests you. The nightlife was great, with a strong local music scene, and the people were as friendly as can be.

However speaking purely from a 'touristic' point of view I think Edinburgh is better as it more geared towards international visitors, with more attractions and a lot of history. Whereas Glasgow is more of a working city if that makes sense?

Spock's Socks
Yes, you should definitely visit Glasgow if you ever come to Scotland. Edinburgh is great but it's very touristy and if you want a feel of what Scotland is actually like, go to Glasgow. It gets a bad name at times but tbh, I've never had any trouble in the city. In fact I have felt safer than I have in any other place, including my own hometown. There are plenty of things to see and do in Glasgow. I would suggest 2 days minimum. Lots of places are free to visit as well which is a bonus

Plenty of shops, restaurants, cinemas, pubs etc and the transport is very good too. Great transport links in Glasgow to all sorts of places in Scotland. From Glasgow you can take a short train journey to Loch Lomond or to Ayr (my hometown ) or travel further afield like Edinburgh, Dundee, Oban etc.

The city has a great vibe and like I said before, I've never experience any trouble there and everyone I've met there either doesn't bother with you or they are friendly. It does have it's rough areas though and I've been to them frequently but if you are a tourist, you won't have any reason for going to those areas.

Thanks :tongue: Where are good places to go for a solo traveller on a budget in Glasgow? :smile:
Original post by SwedishRedhead
Thanks :tongue: Where are good places to go for a solo traveller on a budget in Glasgow? :smile:

Do you mean for accommodation? If you do check out airbnb, if you meant places to visit check out tripadvisor :-)
Glasgow has better bars, places to eat and I dare say better museums however they are all spread out over the city centre.

Glasgow is also generally cheaper to stay in.

It does has crime on the bad estates though but so does everywhere its just as its a big city it seems worse, most of the bad areas are south side or east side, saying that though you also get a lot of old fashioned friendly people and cheap bars just be careful if on your own especially if female, I even know a bar that serves a 3 course meal for £2.50 as its a poor area.

Edinburgh is "better" if you want most of the places to visit within a short walk of each other but also quite tiring as a lot of hilly areas, and accomodation (apart from hostels) is expensive and unless you find a cheap place to eat in side streets/poorer areas then its overpriced.

I know a lovely authentic Italian place near the Omni Centre that does a 3 course meal for £6.50 at lunchtime, desserts vary but in the past got peaches in wine as a dessert, great for a winter meal just be aware its quite a lot of sauce on the meals so you feel a bit queasy hours later.
Original post by drbluebox
Glasgow has better bars, places to eat and I dare say better museums however they are all spread out over the city centre.

Glasgow is also generally cheaper to stay in.

It does has crime on the bad estates though but so does everywhere its just as its a big city it seems worse, most of the bad areas are south side or east side, saying that though you also get a lot of old fashioned friendly people and cheap bars just be careful if on your own especially if female, I even know a bar that serves a 3 course meal for £2.50 as its a poor area.

Edinburgh is "better" if you want most of the places to visit within a short walk of each other but also quite tiring as a lot of hilly areas, and accomodation (apart from hostels) is expensive and unless you find a cheap place to eat in side streets/poorer areas then its overpriced.

I know a lovely authentic Italian place near the Omni Centre that does a 3 course meal for £6.50 at lunchtime, desserts vary but in the past got peaches in wine as a dessert, great for a winter meal just be aware its quite a lot of sauce on the meals so you feel a bit queasy hours later.

Thank you :smile: what is the name of the italian place? Where are the "good/safe" areas to go around?
I can name 1 good one in Glasgow and 1 in Edinburgh, the one in Glasgow is Antipasti on Sauchiehall street, you can get a 2 course meal Monday to Wednesday for like £5 from lunchtime till about 4pm, rest of week its like £7.50, I love the food there as get things like pasta that comes wrapped in foil and they grate cheese and pepper on top on request.

The one in Edinburgh is 3 courses for £6.50 called Jolly, beautiful food but heavy on the sauces, thats where they do a dessert of the day such as pears in wine, one of the mains is a pizza which is big enough for 2 people, and I normally go for the home made minestrone soup as a starter or the fresh salad.

Glasgow safe areas are generally West end, you can get problems anywhere though and I am a shy male who stands out and I have had no issues, there is buses everywhere though which you can get daily tickets.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest