The Student Room Group

Which group in the football community are the most idiotic?

Scroll to see replies

Why aren't Leeds mentioned, they should be their fans are appalling yet they say they're dedicated even though the club's clearly ****
Original post by IamJacksContempt
On the whole though... irrelevant.

Also I don't think there's many Hartlepool, Newcastle, Rotherham, Sheffied or Carlisle etc fans on here.

Between the 13 clubs of the football league/premiership, there's probably more fans of them than of Manchester United. Particularly given the size of Leeds, Newcastle and West Ham. It's not United, it's manchester united, just as it's not City, that could be any one of 12 league clubs.
Reply 42
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Between the 13 clubs of the football league/premiership, there's probably more fans of them than of Manchester United. Particularly given the size of Leeds, Newcastle and West Ham. It's not United, it's manchester united, just as it's not City, that could be any one of 12 league clubs.

Everyone knows what you mean by "United" or "City", which is the point of names, stop being #salty
Original post by difeo
Everyone knows what you mean by "United" or "City", which is the point of names, stop being #salty

No they don't. You say city to me, I'll assume you're talking about Leicester. Say United to Tornado and it'll be Leeds. Names are supposed to identify, just using one suffix shared by a number of teams

First of all that simply can't be true seeing as United supposedly has the largest fan base in the world. Greater than even that of Madrid and Barca...

Secondly, I was clearly talking within the context of the student room's football forum. Can't say I've seen many fans or discussions about those teams bar perhaps Newcastle.

Therefore, I and most others will quite happily continue to refer to Manchester United as simply: "united". Despite what any pedantic time wasters think.

Tell me, do you also criticise anyone who refers to the U.S.A as "America"?
(edited 8 years ago)
No they don't. You say city to me, I'll assume you're talking about Leicester. Say United to Tornado and it'll be Leeds. Names are supposed to identify, just using one suffix shared by a number of teams

And now you're just talking plain bull****
Reply 46

It's obvious in context. If you're talking to someone in Leicester or Leeds what you say can be true, but if you assume "City" on somewhere like TSR means Leicester then that's being purposely dense.

I bet you say Villa as well
(edited 8 years ago)
First of all that simply can't be true seeing as United supposedly has the largest fan base in the world. Greater than even that of Madrid and Barca...

Secondly, I was clearly talking within the context of the student room's football forum. Can't say I've seen many fans or discussions about those teams bar perhaps Newcastle.

Therefore, I and most others will quite happily continue to refer Manchester United as simply: "united". Despite what any pedantic time wasters think.

Tell me, do you also criticise anyone who refers to the U.S.A as "America"?

People in surrey who've never been to a game and couldn't name half the side without checking wikipedia aren't fans, and your USA example is faulty given the USA is america, the continents are north america and south america
Original post by difeo
It's obvious in context. In Leicester and Leeds what you say can be true, but if you assume "City" on somewhere like TSR means Leicester then that's being purposely dense.

I bet you say Villa as well

Villa is a unique name like Wednesday or Forest, that's entirely different. Say Wednesday it's obvious you mean sheff weds, say forest it's obvious you mean Nottingham Forest, say City and well, do you mean cardiff, swansea, norwich, bradford, coventry, stoke....

And now you're just talking plain bull****

No, I'm a leicester fan, why would I assume it's Manchester City. Best thing to do is not be an armchair top 4 "fan" and actually call a club by their name.
Reply 49
Villa is a unique name like Wednesday or Forest, that's entirely different. Say Wednesday it's obvious you mean sheff weds, say forest it's obvious you mean Nottingham Forest, say City and well, do you mean cardiff, swansea, norwich, bradford, coventry, stoke....

No there's Northwich Manchester Villa
The ones who always bring up 'messi vs ronaldo' arguments and troll threads
People in surrey who've never been to a game and couldn't name half the side without checking wikipedia aren't fans, and your USA example is faulty given the USA is america, the continents are north america and south america

I'm pretty sure you can't define what a "fan" is or isn't because it could only be subjective. However, if you are to include everyone who fits the necessary broad criteria then yes, there will be more United fans worldwide than there is for all those other teams you mentioned put together.

As for the bold... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

The Americas, or America,[5][6][7] also known as the Western Hemisphere[8] and the New World, comprise the totality of territories in North America and South America.

In modern English, North and South America are generally considered separate continents, and taken together are called the Americas in the plural, parallel to similar situations such as the Carolinas. When conceived as a unitary continent, the form is generally the continent of America in the singular.

No, I'm a leicester fan, why would I assume it's Manchester City. Best thing to do is not be an armchair top 4 "fan" and actually call a club by their name.

Because no one else on here refers to Leicester as City.... you know, because they just say Leicester?
Definitely the Man Utd fans. Live in facking fairy land that lot
Reply 54
^ no bias here though
Reply 55
Original post by Quantex
Where is the option for Newcastle and Sunderland fans who happily pay to watch dross every week?

Pretty sure there aren't any.

Spoiler

Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
Why aren't Leeds mentioned, they should be their fans are appalling yet they say they're dedicated even though the club's clearly ****

We are dedicated because we still support the club despite the fact we're ****. That's what dedication to your club is.

Original post by difeo
^ no bias here though

Genuinely isn't. In terms of TSR anyway, your lot are the worst for having tunnel vision.
Original post by TornadoGR4
We are dedicated because we still support the club despite the fact we're ****. That's what dedication to your club is.

well all the Leeds fan I've come across are are scruffy and loud af - they act like hooligans at matches and claim leeds is the best club in England like wtf wake up they're clearly not looool
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx

well all the Leeds fan I've come across are are scruffy and loud af - they act like hooligans at matches and claim leeds is the best club in England like wtf wake up they're clearly not looool

How many have you come across? The few of them I've met have seemed alright even if their teams ****e.
Original post by United1892
How many have you come across? The few of them I've met have seemed alright even if their teams ****e.

I live near Leeds so pretty much most of them are like that but yeah some are ok i guess

Quick Reply

Latest