The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NoahJ
It's easy to say, but don't worry about it, because there's nothing you can do now to change whether or not you'll get an interview. Bristol are notoriously poor at communicating, and particularly have taken ages to give out interviews, so my advice would be to forget about it now, and just focus on your grades. Good luck :smile:

I wish I could live by that philosophy!
Hey Guys I'm only here to sus out the competition! Only joking!
I hope we all become 2016 Bristol freshers! Good luck!
On Facebook today I got a advert saying, "Rejected from all UNIS, apply for apprenticeships". I think Facebook is trying to tell me something.
Need help guys!

Got the Bristol email which is telling me to logon to my VIP page. How do I do this? How important is it that I do this? Where can I use the provided username to set my password? Just what?
Original post by Millie-3
Need help guys!

Got the Bristol email which is telling me to logon to my VIP page. How do I do this? How important is it that I do this? Where can I use the provided username to set my password? Just what?

Got the same question
Hey, if you just follow the link 'vip page' in the email it will take you to the log in page and you put in the username they've given you and then reset your password from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish they were a bit clearer about how they score the academic and non-academic criteria instead of giving a 20:80 breakdown. :3 It certainly would give peace of mind because I changed my personal statement at the last minute and I'm wondering whether the resulting loss in quality (it still contained the important information) would disadvantage me.
Original post by Millie-3
Need help guys!

There's a link to the VIP section, or here's a link http://www.bristol.ac.uk/vip/

I have a similar one for my application to Bath and its used to see your application status and also sending extra information they may need and attending any extra open days related to the course, so I would imagine Bristol use it for a similar purpose.
Does anyone know when decisions are sent out for interviews and offers?
The first interview offers were given out in the second week of November last year and the first interview was for December 16th

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
The first interview offers were given out in the second week of November last year and the first interview was for December 16th

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that's the most notice I've ever seen given for an interview -- a month. :3
Original post by Hydeman
Wow, that's the most notice I've ever seen given for an interview -- a month. :3

It is pretty good, let's hope that it's the same this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is pretty good, let's hope that it's the same this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might be later though -- it's the first year when Bristol is the only medical school that doesn't use an admissions test. The volume of applications, and hence personal statements to read through and score, must be huge this year. I kinda messed up my personal statement so I'm literally praying for an interview now. xD An early interview would at least take the pressure off, although all the people from my school who applied to Bristol from my school last year didn't get interviews until well into the New Year. They thought they'd been rejected but they got in. It's such a shame too, since Bristol has a really good course. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Might be later though -- it's the first year when Bristol is the only medical school that doesn't use an admissions test. The volume of applications, and hence personal statements to read through and score, must be huge this year. I kinda messed up my personal statement so I'm literally praying for an interview now. xD An early interview would at least take the pressure off, although all the people from my school who applied to Bristol from my school last year didn't get interviews until well into the New Year. They thought they'd been rejected but they got in. It's such a shame too, since Bristol has a really good course. :biggrin:

True, but then last year they also had 5,500 applicants making the ratio between applicants to places 24:1 so it was still a lot of applicants to get through. They will also sift out applicants who don't meet their academic requirements first so not everyone's personal statements will be read most probably. Let's just wait and see, having an earlier interview doesn't necessarily put you at any advantage at receiving an offer! As for messing up your personal statement - unless you stated you actually dislike medicine and aren't committed to it as a career, then you're probably over thinking the situation :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Hey guys! Just wondering what are bristol really hot on? Is it mostly gcses? And how do they initially like get through the applicants is it academically? I am applying with my a2's does that give me any advantages/disadvantages ? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
An admissions tutor at imperial checked my personal statement and said it was good. Hopefully Bristol will like it too!
Reply 36
Original post by audreygal
An admissions tutor at imperial checked my personal statement and said it was good. Hopefully Bristol will like it too!

I'm sure it will:smile: where else u applied? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know when Bristol would send out rejections (pre-interview)? I'm a bit of a pessimist I know ahaha!
Don't quote me on this exactly as I may be mistaken but I remember vaguely that they rank your top 8 GCSEs out of 10 as an initial hurdle in their process. So an A* = 10, an A = 7, a B = 4 and a C = 1. So for instance, my top 8 is 5A*s and 3As (this has to include sciences, maths and English Lang) so my score would be 71/80 and that constitutes 12% of the 20% weighting (the other 8% is A2 predictions - of which I saw a freedom of informations request from them and applicants who were successful were predicted 3As and above) and then the 80% for the personal statement they have a form that they have to grade your personal statement out of (I may link it later if I figure out how to do it via this mobile app) and that gives you the total break down. At this point everything is submitted so we just have to see how things go and wait to hear back from them. From my previous experience with Bristol its an extremely fair university in how they deal with applicants :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Don't quote me on this exactly as I may be mistaken but I remember vaguely that they rank your top 8 GCSEs out of 10 as an initial hurdle in their process. So an A* = 10, an A = 7, a B = 4 and a C = 1. So for instance, my top 8 is 5A*s and 3As (this has to include sciences, maths and English Lang) so my score would be 71/80 and that constitutes 12% of the 20% weighting (the other 8% is A2 predictions - of which I saw a freedom of informations request from them and applicants who were successful were predicted 3As and above) and then the 80% for the personal statement they have a form that they have to grade your personal statement out of (I may link it later if I figure out how to do it via this mobile app) and that gives you the total break down. At this point everything is submitted so we just have to see how things go and wait to hear back from them. From my previous experience with Bristol its an extremely fair university in how they deal with applicants :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is really helpful thanks for ur input:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending