The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
The first interview offers were given out in the second week of November last year and the first interview was for December 16th

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do u know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by may_1
How do u know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, to cut a long story short*, last year I had an interview offer in November for the first interview dates in December (16-18 December) :L *(I held an offer for Bristol last year, missed my grades due to extenuating circumstances and have been allowed to reapply)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by may_1
I'm sure it will:smile: where else u applied? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edinburgh, Southampton and Nottingham
Reply 43
Well, to cut a long story short*, last year I had an interview offer in November for the first interview dates in December (16-18 December) :L *(I held an offer for Bristol last year, missed my grades due to extenuating circumstances and have been allowed to reapply)

Posted from TSR Mobile

How likely are you to get an interview again if you recieved one last year?
Reply 44
Don't quote me on this exactly as I may be mistaken but I remember vaguely that they rank your top 8 GCSEs out of 10 as an initial hurdle in their process. So an A* = 10, an A = 7, a B = 4 and a C = 1. So for instance, my top 8 is 5A*s and 3As (this has to include sciences, maths and English Lang) so my score would be 71/80 and that constitutes 12% of the 20% weighting (the other 8% is A2 predictions - of which I saw a freedom of informations request from them and applicants who were successful were predicted 3As and above) and then the 80% for the personal statement they have a form that they have to grade your personal statement out of (I may link it later if I figure out how to do it via this mobile app) and that gives you the total break down. At this point everything is submitted so we just have to see how things go and wait to hear back from them. From my previous experience with Bristol its an extremely fair university in how they deal with applicants :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is great advice!! I have a B in english Lang GCSE so will my application be completely scraped straight away? I have 3A predictions, (not one to blow my own trumpet) but a stellar personal statement according to those I've given it to be checked and many A*'s at GCSE! I also have applied for extenuating circumstances so will Bristol spare me, as I am aware you need an A in english language?!
Many thanks!!
Original post by SY123
How likely are you to get an interview again if you recieved one last year?

I can't predict as they don't usually allow resitters to apply again but I would assume that as they have allowed me to reapply they will now view my application as they would anyone applying the first time round, i.e no special advantage but at no disadvantage either. My application will be assessed by the same standards :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr_K
This is great advice!! I have a B in english Lang GCSE so will my application be completely scraped straight away? I have 3A predictions, (not one to blow my own trumpet) but a stellar personal statement according to those I've given it to be checked and many A*'s at GCSE! I also have applied for extenuating circumstances so will Bristol spare me, as I am aware you need an A in english language?!
Many thanks!!

I mean, to be honest with you my knowledge on this is as vague as everyone else's as I'm not part of the admissions team! However based on this point system, having an A* and a B would be the same amount of points as 2As so I really can't talk for them as a uni but from the info I've gathered that's as much as I can offer! I'm not 100% sure on the GCSE requirements for English language but if they have the extenuating circumstances form detailing why you achieved a B instead of an A and they accept it then I don't see why it would be held against you. I know how this can be very stressful but keep holding out and hopefully good luck will come! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
I mean, to be honest with you my knowledge on this is as vague as everyone else's as I'm not part of the admissions team! However based on this point system, having an A* and a B would be the same amount of points as 2As so I really can't talk for them as a uni but from the info I've gathered that's as much as I can offer! I'm not 100% sure on the GCSE requirements for English language but if they have the extenuating circumstances form detailing why you achieved a B instead of an A and they accept it then I don't see why it would be held against you. I know how this can be very stressful but keep holding out and hopefully good luck will come! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you I feel a little more relieved! My ext. circ. was for AS levels not for eng lang hence the worry! Using the points system for GCSE i get 68. I'll hope for the best and hope they look at my ps before they do anything else (feel like that's my strong point). Good luck to u too!
Original post by Dr_K
Thank you I feel a little more relieved! My ext. circ. was for AS levels not for eng lang hence the worry! Using the points system for GCSE i get 68. I'll hope for the best and hope they look at my ps before they do anything else (feel like that's my strong point). Good luck to u too!

I'm glad I could relieve you of some stress! I dunno how to emphasis this enough, we can't do anything more now, it is in the admissions teams hands, so we'll just have to patiently wait for a response!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 49
I can't predict as they don't usually allow resitters to apply again but I would assume that as they have allowed me to reapply they will now view my application as they would anyone applying the first time round, i.e no special advantage but at no disadvantage either. My application will be assessed by the same standards :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only problem is its so personal statement heavy and so its subjective :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SY123
The only problem is its so personal statement heavy and so its subjective :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

True in the sense of it partly being in how you word something but they do have a checklist of what they're looking for in your personal statement. For instance, I've added a few aspects to include what I'm doing in my gap year, however, as I know they liked my personal statement last year I've kept it the same essentially, rewording where needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So to update: just was looking for the freedom of info forms with no luck but found out it's actually 8% GCSE and 12% Alevels so if you got a score of 71/80 for your GCSEs for example that would be 7.1% towards your application. Also they've released their interview dates on their website for this year's entry!! So we know when to expect replies roughly!ImageUploadedByStudent Room1445555132.662541.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Guys out of leeds leicster bristol and cardiff who might i hear off first do we reckon? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I found where I read up on the points system for GCSEs (I attached what I read) so look at that for info on your score, it seems I was mistaken and they don't award points for anything below an A :/ ImageUploadedByStudent Room1445590325.831477.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do unis give out interviews depending on when you applied?for example my application got sent off on the deadline does this mean my interviews will be later on in the year?or do they decide when you get an interview randomly
Original post by Michaaelaaa
Do unis give out interviews depending on when you applied?for example my application got sent off on the deadline does this mean my interviews will be later on in the year?or do they decide when you get an interview randomly

It doesn't depend on when you've applied. Bristol sort our applications into three categories:

1) interview
2) on hold
3) unsuccessful

So some people will get an immediate interview after their application was sorted, others will be in a 'on hold'/maybe pile until later in the application cycle and will be reviewed again, so some of these people will receive interviews later and others will be rejected and finally the unsuccessful pile where you didn't meet their criteria for this year and will get an automatic rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesn't depend on when you've applied. Bristol sort our applications into three categories:

1) interview
2) on hold
3) unsuccessful

So some people will get an immediate interview after their application was sorted, others will be in a 'on hold'/maybe pile until later in the application cycle and will be reviewed again, so some of these people will receive interviews later and others will be rejected and finally the unsuccessful pile where you didn't meet their criteria for this year and will get an automatic rejection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So applicants which are viewed to be the "strongest" by the admission tutors are interviewed first?
Original post by Michaaelaaa
So applicants which are viewed to be the "strongest" by the admission tutors are interviewed first?

I'd presume so. It's stated in the admissions document that they don't reject an applicant unless they're absolutely sure that they won't have a place for that applicant. I'd wager that a fair few people end up on the hold pile as a result, with only the strongest getting automatic interviews. The hold pile is something of a lifesaver for lots of people: the only person from my school to be accepted to study medicine at Bristol last year had been rejected by all of her other choices and got her Bristol offer very late around March-time, I think.

That said, I can imagine quite a few pre-interview rejections this year because they're now the only UK medical school that don't use an admissions test so the volume of applicants will be huge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Hydeman
I'd presume so. It's stated in the admissions document that they don't reject an applicant unless they're absolutely sure that they won't have a place for that applicant. I'd wager that a fair few people end up on the hold pile as a result, with only the strongest getting automatic interviews. The hold pile is something of a lifesaver for lots of people: the only person from my school to be accepted to study medicine at Bristol last year had been rejected by all of her other choices and got her Bristol offer very late around March-time, I think.

That said, I can imagine quite a few pre-interview rejections this year because they're now the only UK medical school that don't use an admissions test so the volume of applicants will be huge.

I dont think Bristol will be getting 5500 applicants again this year. It should go down because last year the UKCAT was harder and so forced alot of people to apply to bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SY123
I dont think Bristol will be getting 5500 applicants again this year. It should go down because last year the UKCAT was harder and so forced alot of people to apply to bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but people with low UKCAT scores had more choice last year. Until last year, Liverpool and Birmingham didn't use the UKCAT either, so the traffic of people who didn't do well on the UKCAT was split three ways (although not necessarily equally) between Bristol, Liverpool and Birmingham. Now the only non-BMAT place where they can apply is Bristol (with Cardiff and Keele being higher-risk options). So I stand by my prediction that they'll get more applicants this year -- the small change in the average UKCAT score isn't enough to claim that the number of applications will drop. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending