The Student Room Group
What type of visa do you have
Passport
What status do you have
Your nationality
Nationality of your parents
Do your parents own property in uk
It's an important question which will have a big impact on the fees you pay...It's pretty clear you are a home student- have you been living at home with your parent(s)/guardians full time except for vacations? If so, you're in good shape. The actual rule is: if you have been ordinarily resident in the UK for the 3 years immediately prior to the 1 September of the year in which your university course commences you are a home student. "Ordinarily resident" as it applies to you means that if you're a minor child in the care of your parents, and live with them, and they have either "indefinite leave to remain" (no restrictions or conditions on their stay or employment in the UK) or / and are EU or UK citizens, you're a home student if you've been living here for at least three years before your university course starts.
It's not necessarily citizenship it hinges on- if your parents have at least "indefinite leave to remain" and you're continuously here from 1/9/2006 to 1/9/2009 when your course presumably starts, you get home fees.
Reply 4
my friend had this problem she was told as long as youve been in this country for 3+yrs (and i think also your parent/gaurdian), have a home in this country and for those 3yrs you werent a student ie boarding in a school then you are a home student.
That's exactly right- if you went to a boarding school while a child, and went back to another country for vacations, it could be claimed that you were in the UK solely for the purposes of education, and are not therefore "ordinarily resident".

But you don't have to own property or anything- just to make your regular home in the UK.
asgsoft
This problem has been bugging me for a while.

I have been living in the UK since August 1999 (7 years 7 months) and I will apply to univerity in 2 years as I am in year 11 now.

I have been studing here since year 4.

Which type of student am I considered?

Thanks

If you've lived solely in the UK for over 3 years you're a home student.
Reply 7
I have been living with my parents for all the time we've been in the UK.

My visa says "Right to remain with limitations", these limitations are that I have no access to any type of benfits.

We don't own a propery due to my dads work. He has to change his work place every year. So he believs it would be impractical to buy a house that might not be where we are living perminanly
Reply 8
The three years rule is quite tricky.
I was born in the UK and my dad is english, however I lived for the past 16 years in France and came to uni this year. I thought I was qualified as EU because I didn't live in the UK for 3 years. But when I sent all my stuff to EU team they sent it back saying I should apply to LEA as I've got right to UK student as I lived in the UK (when I was born) and came back before the beginning of my degree (1 week before really :P:smile: even though my parents still live in France.
Sent everything to the local authority where my uni is and I got UK status approved so got grants and loans :smile:
Now I have to see how it works for a transfer, I guess I'll just ask the LEA here to transfer all my info to London!
Yes its not that simple
When i sent questioneers back 4 universities dicided that im a “home student” and 2 that im an international :biggrin:
asgsoft
I have been living with my parents for all the time we've been in the UK.

My visa says "Right to remain with limitations", these limitations are that I have no access to any type of benfits.

We don't own a propery due to my dads work. He has to change his work place every year. So he believs it would be impractical to buy a house that might not be where we are living perminanly

I hope you will get home status you have good chances if your visa is indefinte
Reply 11
I get indifinate stay in a year and a bit, so I would still have extra months before applying to uni.

I really hope to get it.
"Right to remain with limitations" might be a problem- it's the "indefinite leave to remain" if you're not an EU or UK citizen, + 3 year's residency, which gives you the really clear determination. But that's in your parent's passport, and not yours, so it may be different for you. Can you call up the unis you're interested in, speak to someone in the registry, and ask them?
Reply 13
It says so in my passport

I am not an EU citizen, so i'll try phoning unis and see what they say

Latest

Trending

Trending