The Student Room Group

BTEC engineering to UNIVERSITY DEGREE

Okay hello guys, ive just finished my Level 3 electrical and electronic engineering diploma and i left with a D*DD, i could have got a D* overall but motivation and family problems were a factor. id say im generally smart, and with my motivation i can honestly tackle most things, i just have to be motivated. im on a gap year now and to help ive bought engineering mathematics by ka stroud and i love the book, as its teaching me the basics and will help me with my course

im just wondering;
is the maths at uni hard compared to btec level?
will i struggle or fail when i go to uni because i did a btec?
will i have a social life?
will engineering mathematics by ka stroud help me get a 2:1 in my first year?
is a 2:1 overall in the degree insanely hard or is it if i keep to it and now waver easily attainable.

cheers
Sounds like you're worrying too much. You've got a btec with a damn good mark in it. If you want to further your studies at uni then go for it. There is absolutely no reason as to why you shouldn't.
Reply 2
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Sounds like you're worrying too much. You've got a btec with a damn good mark in it. If you want to further your studies at uni then go for it. There is absolutely no reason as to why you shouldn't.

i think you might be right, been reading forums and people have been saying its extremely hard so im kinda scared haha!
really want a 2:1 so i can at least get a decent job and have my parents proud of me
Reply 3
Original post by sebe0062
Okay hello guys, ive just finished my Level 3 electrical and electronic engineering diploma and i left with a D*DD, i could have got a D* overall but motivation and family problems were a factor. id say im generally smart, and with my motivation i can honestly tackle most things, i just have to be motivated. im on a gap year now and to help ive bought engineering mathematics by ka stroud and i love the book, as its teaching me the basics and will help me with my course

im just wondering;
is the maths at uni hard compared to btec level?
will i struggle or fail when i go to uni because i did a btec?
will i have a social life?
will engineering mathematics by ka stroud help me get a 2:1 in my first year?
is a 2:1 overall in the degree insanely hard or is it if i keep to it and now waver easily attainable.

cheers

I initially found the 2 Maths modules hard but worked hard and managed to grasp it (Computer Science not Engineering though)

I did a Computing BTEC and Im now in my second year at a top 20 uni studying Computer Science, my first year at uni was veryyy similar to my BTEC, so much crossover, also a lot of people on Engineering degrees wont have studied Engineering before so you will have a decent advantage in certain modules, just focus on the Maths, did you do the unit 'Further Maths for Engineers'? if you have a Distinction in that you should be fine.

That's dependent on ability, however if you work hard enough you should be able to obtain a 2:1 judging by your BTEC grades,

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by yt7777
I initially found the 2 Maths modules hard but worked hard and managed to grasp it (Computer Science not Engineering though)

I did a Computing BTEC and Im now in my second year at a top 20 uni studying Computer Science, my first year at uni was veryyy similar to my BTEC, so much crossover, also a lot of people on Engineering degrees wont have studied Engineering before so you will have a decent advantage in certain modules, just focus on the Maths, did you do the unit 'Further Maths for Engineers'? if you have a Distinction in that you should be fine.

That's dependent on ability, however if you work hard enough you should be able to obtain a 2:1 judging by your BTEC grades,

Hope this helps :smile:

i did get a distinction on further maths for engineers, the distinction questions were a bit hard but i got through them with determination haha!
and im hoping to lord i can do well at university when i go next year, id hate to get a 2:2 or something!
Reply 5
Original post by sebe0062
i did get a distinction on further maths for engineers, the distinction questions were a bit hard but i got through them with determination haha!
and im hoping to lord i can do well at university when i go next year, id hate to get a 2:2 or something!

Thats good, by taking that unit and getting a Distinction opens up a lot more university choices
Reply 6
Original post by yt7777
Thats good, by taking that unit and getting a Distinction opens up a lot more university choices

how are you finding the maths on your second year?

Quick Reply

Latest