The Student Room Group

How to apply to German universities?

Hello,

I am taking a combination of International GCSEs, CIE A Levels and Edexcel's IALs. I am really interested in applying to German universities as they are much cheaper than those in the UK for internationals. But, I do not know where to start?

Will someone guide me through applications / admission requirements?

I have called like 10 german unis and no one could speak proper English.
Ring up the DAAD.
Reply 2
It's funny when people lose an argument on here and they immediately turn to name calling.
Classic TSR
Hey,I’m not sure in the application process ofGermany, but if you consider other German speaking countries too, I can explaina bit.Liechtenstein: there is one university, soone system. Basically, you need to register online and then you can go throughthe application in the same way as completing a social media profile. You justhave to fill out the missing fields and upload the requested documents. Theapplication is for free and the tuition fee is around 800 CHF which is quitereasonable, I would say. What I really liked when I applied to this uni is thatthey don’t request any notarised copy (which costs a fortune) and you don’tneed to print out anything. Plus, they speak English.Switzerland: there are a bunch ofuniversities all of them has a different system and a different tuition feeranging from 500 CHF to even 2500 CHF for a public uni. Here you need notarisedcopies (your degrees, language certificates…) and always need to send it viapost. But you still need to register via online and make a profile. And ofcourse the registration costs around 25 CHF. There are some unis (ETH) where itis requested to type in all your courses you ever studied with all theliterature you learned from..Good luck!
Reply 4
First of all: Can you speak German? If no, you need to be able to speak German in order to study in Germany. It is true that there are no tuition fees, but still you have to pay a (very small) administrative fee of roughly around 300 euros per semester (it changes a bit every semester), where your public transport ticket is already included in. I don´t know if the system has changed over the last 4 years, but back then when I applied for my undergraduate degree I needed to register online and then send them all the documents via post. Regarding your questions for the requirements: There is only one very important parameter which is the so called NC (numerus clausus). This is a number which presents the last possible grade from your A levels with which you are allowed into the program. And for most of the courses this is the only thing that counts. There might be a few exemptions, like when you apply for a design course they might wanna see some art samples of you or when you apply for a science course they wanna see your science grades. But in general it is all about the NC in Germany. Since the NC refers to an Abitur grade (the German equivalent to A level) you need to convert your A level grades to the equivalent German number in order to check if you meet the entry requirement (as far as I read AAB is equivalent to a 1,5 Abitur for example).
Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending