The Student Room Group

Can men and women ever be JUST close friends?

I don't mean casual friends.. I mean talking regularly, having a lot in common, looking forward to seeing them etc..

I have been talking to a guy online to improve my Japanese and I really enjoy talking to him to the point where when we aren't talking.. I'm thinking about talking to him. It has only been a week since we met online and I do have an obsessive-in-short-bursts personality. However I've been feeling anxious and guilty around my bf. He knows everything about what we talk about and how I feel anxious etc. I think I feel guilty that I'm enjoying talking to someone more than him. I'm also feeling anxious that my online friend will start to fancy me and then I'll have to cut ties. Or worst case scenario, I'll fancy him back! Please help me stop driving myself crazy :smile:

Summary: either give me advice or just express your opinion to the title

Scroll to see replies

Yeah course guys and girls can be just close friends.
Reply 2
As a lesbian I can confirm that as I am attracted solely to girls, I cannot ever be simply "close friends" with them.
Reply 3
Yes, have done it before and not developed feelings.
yes. Ive had female friends for many years and never had the urge to sleep/date them. Or them me as far as i know
Original post by Hevachan
I don't mean casual friends.. I mean talking regularly, having a lot in common, looking forward to seeing them etc..

I have been talking to a guy online to improve my Japanese and I really enjoy talking to him to the point where when we aren't talking.. I'm thinking about talking to him. It has only been a week since we met online and I do have an obsessive-in-short-bursts personality. However I've been feeling anxious and guilty around my bf. He knows everything about what we talk about and how I feel anxious etc. I think I feel guilty that I'm enjoying talking to someone more than him. I'm also feeling anxious that my online friend will start to fancy me and then I'll have to cut ties. Or worst case scenario, I'll fancy him back! Please help me stop driving myself crazy :smile:

Summary: either give me advice or just express your opinion to the title

Think its very difficult, as you will probably sexual feelings towards them. Though they may not seem your type, your likes/dislikes (of things, people, etc.) can shift. I would, just out of respect for your partner, talk to them as you would any other friend (rather than 'close friends'). The transparency you have with your partner is good though! It would be considered bad if he didn't know.
Nah fam u got 2 smash n dash
Reply 7
Original post by ellsie98
As a lesbian I can confirm that as I am attracted solely to girls, I cannot ever be simply "close friends" with them.

I find this interesting! I am bisexual but I am definitely able to be close friends to straight women (likewise gay men). Do you not feel the same?
Original post by ellsie98

Even if you don't fancy them?

It's fancying that confuses things for most attempts at Platonic. :yep:
Yes, yes they can.
Reply 10
Original post by hellodave5
Think its very difficult, as you will probably sexual feelings towards them. Though they may not seem your type, your likes/dislikes (of things, people, etc.) can shift. I would, just out of respect for your partner, talk to them as you would any other friend (rather than 'close friends':wink:. The transparency you have with your partner is good though! It would be considered bad if he didn't know.

Yeah that's true. The funny thing is apart from the worlds smallest picture, I don't know what he looks like! And my display pic is of my dog Haha. Sometimes I think I'm just enjoying the attention (he replies very fast and stays up until 5am Japanese time talking to me, we talk for hours and hours [although my responses are not as attentive]) . I think I need to be more structured with how long we talk..
Thanks for your help, mulling it over helps a lot :smile:
It's possible. Many of my close friends are both males and we get along just fine
Original post by Hevachan
Yeah that's true. The funny thing is apart from the worlds smallest picture, I don't know what he looks like! And my display pic is of my dog Haha. Sometimes I think I'm just enjoying the attention (he replies very fast and stays up until 5am Japanese time talking to me, we talk for hours and hours [although my responses are not as attentive]) . I think I need to be more structured with how long we talk..
Thanks for your help, mulling it over helps a lot :smile:

Haha. Yeah, probably more of an attention thing. But I guess its peoples personalities that we tend to go for in online relationships, in contrast to the initial physical looks attraction phase in person. Seems harmless regarding the content, but personally if my partner did that I would be very worried and outright disagree just because of the amount of time and effort you're both investing into each other. Adding structure will probs work :smile:. No probs.
P.S. didn't mean to add a :wink: face into my prev message. Don't know how that got in there haha.
I'd be lying if I said I've never found myself attracted to any of my female friends, but I think as long as you don't try to act upon your attractions, it doesn't really matter.
Reply 14
Original post by hellodave5
Haha. Yeah, probably more of an attention thing. But I guess its peoples personalities that we tend to go for in online relationships, in contrast to the initial physical looks attraction phase in person. Seems harmless regarding the content, but personally if my partner did that I would be very worried and outright disagree just because of the amount of time and effort you're both investing into each other. Adding structure will probs work :smile:. No probs.
P.S. didn't mean to add a :wink: face into my prev message. Don't know how that got in there haha.

Yeah I feel like if it was him talking a woman online like this I'd be like hell no!!! My bf is really passive, he isn't a fighter so he's just like 'do what you want'... in some ways I want him to say 'no I don't like it!!!' So I'd know where I stand xD
Reply 15
Original post by The Socktor
I'd be lying if I said I've never found myself attracted to any of my female friends, but I think as long as you don't try to act upon your attractions, it doesn't really matter.

That's true.. I find myself attracted to alot of people for a short space of time xD and have sex dreams about most people im close to at least once... o.o
Reply 16
Yeah. Sure why not. If both, girl and boy, wants to be just friends.
You can't fancy someone you speak to over the Internet, have never met, and don't know what they look like.

Christ, if you think you might your boyfriend mustn't be much of a catch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by queen-bee
It's possible. Many of my close friends are both males and we get along just fine

looking at your display pic queen-bee, you might just be friends with them but your guy friends have all imagined doing "the dance with no pants" with you. I guarantee it!
Reply 19
Original post by Conzy210
You can't fancy someone you speak to over the Internet, have never met, and don't know what they look like.

Christ, if you think you might your boyfriend mustn't be much of a catch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I don't think I do! But your post did make me feel better in a weird way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending