The Student Room Group

Cheapest Car Insurance for 21 year old

Hi there,

My friend (21 yrs old) passed his driving recently (few weeks ago) and he can spend up to £3k on a new car he is looking for insurance under £2k what options does he have? And his mother drives as well. She has had her license for 20 years with no accidents.

How much is your car insurance and what car do you drive/age as well?

Thanks
I would advise him to go onto price comparison sites when he is looking at cars to get an idea of how much quotes will cost him. I just turned 22 and renewed my insurance today, I have had my licence for 3 years and 2 years no claims. However in March I had an pricey accident which was not my fault, my Mum is also on my policy.

I am currently paying £70 a month with quote me happy, down from £130 with Endsleigh (who i wouldn't recommend they are awful). But like I said get him to shop around, I drive a 1.6 3 door renault megane which may have driven up my quotes due to the engine size.
Reply 2
21, had my license 4 years, 2 years NCB, £450 insurance on a 53 MG ZS 180.
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Hi there,

My friend (21 yrs old) passed his driving recently (few weeks ago) and he can spend up to £3k on a new car he is looking for insurance under £2k what options does he have? And his mother drives as well. She has had her license for 20 years with no accidents.

How much is your car insurance and what car do you drive/age as well?

Thanks

Luckily, when you get to 21, your insurance starts to go down quite a bit. It will still be a bit pricey being a new driver, but a lot lower than it would be at 17/18.
Look on comparison sites- it gives you an idea of which companies are cheapest for you. Try then getting quotes from the cheapest companies directly though, as sometimes that works out cheaper than going through the comparison site.
Also look at companies such as direct line, churchill and aviva, as they arent on comparison sites.
Try different levels of cover. Sometimes fully comp can work out cheaper than third party fire and theft.
Try changing details such as where you keep your car at night (garage, drive, road etc) and how many miles you do. This affects the price.
Try getting quotes for different cars as some cars are cheaper to insure than others.
Definitely add named drivers where possible.
I would try using false information that would be extremely difficult to prove. For example I would say my annual mileage was 5000 miles per year, even tho its more likely to be 25000 miles. In the event of an accident I would smash my odometer.
I once had a car that had a performance exhaust. As this was on the car when I purchased it I didnt declare it. You can also "exclude commuting" as an option I believe, although this is more risky, especially if you crash on your way to work. I suppose you could tell them you were on your way to make an appointment with the dentist or going shopping. Bit difficult if you were on your way to a night shift.

You have to be careful tho. You cant get away with lying about details such as address and date of birth. These are too easy for insurers to find out. Unfortunately we all have to play them at their own games. Fraud is illegal, but insurers will use any trick in or out of the book to avoid paying out so it is in our interest to be dirty bastards too.

I also feel that the insurance game is a form of entrapment. On one hand you have to have it by law. On the other hand it is stupidly expensive for new drivers when really it shouldnt be. On yet another hand you cant get very far without transport. Is there any wonder as to why people resort to driving around illegally?
Original post by Anonymoùs
I would try using false information that would be extremely difficult to prove. For example I would say my annual mileage was 5000 miles per year, even tho its more likely to be 25000 miles. In the event of an accident I would smash my odometer.
I once had a car that had a performance exhaust. As this was on the car when I purchased it I didnt declare it. You can also "exclude commuting" as an option I believe, although this is more risky, especially if you crash on your way to work. I suppose you could tell them you were on your way to make an appointment with the dentist or going shopping. Bit difficult if you were on your way to a night shift.

You have to be careful tho. You cant get away with lying about details such as address and date of birth. These are too easy for insurers to find out. Unfortunately we all have to play them at their own games. Fraud is illegal, but insurers will use any trick in or out of the book to avoid paying out so it is in our interest to be dirty bastards too.

I also feel that the insurance game is a form of entrapment. On one hand you have to have it by law. On the other hand it is stupidly expensive for new drivers when really it shouldnt be. On yet another hand you cant get very far without transport. Is there any wonder as to why people resort to driving around illegally?

Ignore this advice.
Original post by shaymarriott
Ignore this advice.

With the exception of making this comment, consider your statement ignored.
Reply 7
Follow this advice. Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending