The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What's add maths?
Reply 2
Add maths, addicitonal maths? Maybe you call it further maths? Whatever you call it, its the extra GCSE maths course on top of the compulsary one that some people take.
Well I never did it and got an A for maths A-level & further maths A-level
Reply 4
Mmmm interesting, anyone else with input?
yeah you dont need to do additional maths, ive never heard of it either and I don't think we do it in our school.
Never heard of it either, but I took maths and got an A as well.
Reply 7
I'd never heard of additional maths until TSR and I am doing well with A Level Maths. If you enjoy maths then you should be fine - everything we were taught followed on from GCSE into A Level with no real need to catch up.
I'd also never heard of Additional or Further Maths before TSR, so it's definitely not offered at all schools and therefore you should be fine.
Reply 9
:ditto: didn't know it existed before TSR, and loads of people are managing fine with Maths (& Further Maths) without it.
Reply 10
I did a statistics GCSE on top of my Maths GCSE, but it didn't really help me in A-Level, I forgot everything over the summer :p:

I'm sure you'll be fine.
Reply 11
Definitely not necessary, at my school additional maths wasn't offered to my year and all of us are coping fine. You won't really need to do any extra 'preparation' because C1 is basically the hardest parts of GCSE + calculus.
Reply 12
The additional maths qualification basically just teaches elements of the AS sylabus, so you'll be taught it all next year anyway. That, and hardly any schools do it. The top set in my year did it, but people who are doing Maths a level from lower sets don't seem to be affected by that at all.
I did Add maths -- however, it was a new course and wasn't included in GCSE timetable - soo i did it after school -- and well i did the course but not the exam coz it interfered with the rest of my work

the course would be beneficial but it doesn't mean that you will suffer for not doing it at A level maths - the A level course starts off quite easy really - and AS is not that hard in my opinion, just takes learning the concepts and application + past papers - thats all

For preparation purposes - just make sure that you have a good understanding of all the concepts that you learnt at GCSE as these will be taken for granted at A level maths
General requirement for A-level Maths is B grade at GCSE higher tier. Like others have said, additional maths isn't really that common, and certainly isn't required in order to succeed at A-level Maths. I did intermediate maths and got a C, and still did well at A-level.
Reply 15
Mustard-man
General requirement for A-level Maths is B grade at GCSE higher tier. Like others have said, additional maths isn't really that common, and certainly isn't required in order to succeed at A-level Maths. I did intermediate maths and got a C, and still did well at A-level.

I'm glad I could find someone like me!

I got a C in GCSE Maths (originally) and then I re-sat it the next summer along with my AS's. But I only got an A in the end, yet I got 100% in C2, 95% in M1 and 80% in FP1. :rolleyes:
Reply 16
additional maths is generally taken by students who took their maths gcse early as an introduction to a-level maths. there isn't really any point to it as you may as well proceed straight to the a-level.
Reply 17
If you ask me the only tricky part of A' level maths was calculus, everything else I've done from statistics to Summation and recurrence relationships was absolutely pimply compared to that. But then I came back to maths after a long break so my calculus problems were mainly just rustiness.

I can't see how just doing a GCSE wouldn't give you all the grounding you needed, that's all I had.

4x123x2dx\int \frac{4x-12}{3x^2}dx

ddx13(x4)x3\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{3}(x-4)x^3

Doesn't it make you slightly queezy :smile:
Abra
I'm glad I could find someone like me!

I got a C in GCSE Maths (originally) and then I re-sat it the next summer along with my AS's. But I only got an A in the end, yet I got 100% in C2, 95% in M1 and 80% in FP1. :rolleyes:
:biggrin: Well, I actually taught myself AS Maths :proud: Bet you didn't do that :aetsch:

Not too bad :p:
Well, in my school, anyone who wants to do A-level maths has to have done GCSE Add Maths, which was a toughie, because I wanted to do it, and didn't particuarily like maths when I was 13. But I was allowed to do it on the condition I got a high A* at GCSE, and I can see the difference. In a class of 22, I am the only person without GCSE Add Maths, and although my teachers explain the concepts everyone else knows, she would have to explain it in mroe detail if the entire class came from just single GCSE. But thats just my school and sixth form,probably different for others.

Latest