The Student Room Group

Being predicted a D at A2 :(

Hi everyone.I feel so demotivated.For my AS in Biology , I had a C, so i was hoping for atleast a B prediction. I changed my college for A2 now i feel like going back to my old college where I did my AS because I think these teachers think am dumb. Yesterday I had a Biology workshop, and the head of biology was like ohhh i have your predicted grades so she showed everyone's grades privately.like she called them up and it was like a one to one talk. For my case, she actually said my grade when everyone was actually listening. I feel so horrible right now and I dont know what to do. Am usually quiet during lessons; am more of a listener than someone who speaks.At my older college, thats how everyone was as well unless the teacher asked for an answer.I feel so horrible because I dont even know if they are going to write my reference for UCAS.
Original post by maggie43
Hi everyone.I feel so demotivated.For my AS in Biology , I had a C, so i was hoping for atleast a B prediction. I changed my college for A2 now i feel like going back to my old college where I did my AS because I think these teachers think am dumb. Yesterday I had a Biology workshop, and the head of biology was like ohhh i have your predicted grades so she showed everyone's grades privately.like she called them up and it was like a one to one talk. For my case, she actually said my grade when everyone was actually listening. I feel so horrible right now and I dont know what to do. Am usually quiet during lessons; am more of a listener than someone who speaks.At my older college, thats how everyone was as well unless the teacher asked for an answer.I feel so horrible because I dont even know if they are going to write my reference for UCAS.

How high was the C?

If you think that your college is holding you back in any way, move back to your old college ASAP. I made the mistake of thinking I'd be okay with my teachers having no confidence in me and that ended up being one of the reasons I had to repeat year 12.
Reply 2
Original post by emiloujess
How high was the C?

If you think that your college is holding you back in any way, move back to your old college ASAP. I made the mistake of thinking I'd be okay with my teachers having no confidence in me and that ended up being one of the reasons I had to repeat year 12.

i am not sure how many UMS i WAS FROM A B.I think like 19. But being predicted a D is so disappointing. Am even paying for my resits at my former college i didnt have to.
i am not sure how many UMS i WAS FROM A B.I think like 19. But being predicted a D is so disappointing. Am even paying for my resits at my former college i didnt have to.

doesn't sound a good reason for your new college to predict you down. Would your old college accept you back?
Reply 4
Original post by emiloujess
doesn't sound a good reason for your new college to predict you down. Would your old college accept you back?

I have no idea. its already 6 weeks into the term
I have no idea. its already 6 weeks into the term

If you're studying the same exam board there shouldn't be a problem, I'd definitely phone up and ask ASAP if I were you. Teachers having no confidence in you is horrible. Just out of interest, what other subjects are you studying?
Hey! I encountered the same problem because my college wrote our predicted grades in July! JULY! Way before Results Day. I got a B and was predicted a C. Teachers want you to do well and go to university, they will understand if you complain. Go to your teacher and explain that you need it to change so you can apply for university. Ask for it to at least be a C as that's what you got and is not unreasonable to ask for.
If you want then argue for it to be a B if you can prove to your teacher that you can get there because they'll have to put why they gave you a higher grade on your UCAS. I'd also recommend considering a retake if you can handle it to pull your grade up if you think it will help.
School's shouldn't really mark you lower than what you got, go talk to your teacher before your application if submitted. They shouldn't mind.

I hope this helps and it goes well :smile:
Reply 7
Biology and Sociology. The exam boards are the same for all my three subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I am retaking both of the Biology units.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by bellalalaxo
Hey! I encountered the same problem because my college wrote our predicted grades in July! JULY! Way before Results Day. I got a B and was predicted a C. Teachers want you to do well and go to university, they will understand if you complain. Go to your teacher and explain that you need it to change so you can apply for university. Ask for it to at least be a C as that's what you got and is not unreasonable to ask for.
If you want then argue for it to be a B if you can prove to your teacher that you can get there because they'll have to put why they gave you a higher grade on your UCAS. I'd also recommend considering a retake if you can handle it to pull your grade up if you think it will help.
School's shouldn't really mark you lower than what you got, go talk to your teacher before your application if submitted. They shouldn't mind.

I hope this helps and it goes well :smile:

It's honestly demotivates me. I think it's because they haven't really known me that well. Btw does the person who writes your reference on ucas, write your predicted grades as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

If you were 19 UMS away, doesn't that mean that the C was just 1 UMS above the boundary? In that case, it is not unreasonable to predict a D as statistically vast majority of candidates remain on the same grade or go lower...

Anyway, best of luck to you! My teacher is predicting me a B at A2, despite getting A in AS last year and doing coursework this year, which, I believe, is a total grade booster. I know the feeling.
It's honestly demotivates me. I think it's because they haven't really known me that well. Btw does the person who writes your reference on ucas, write your predicted grades as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah as far as I'm aware your teachers write a little about you and give your predicted grades.
Reply 12
Original post by pecora
If you were 19 UMS away, doesn't that mean that the C was just 1 UMS above the boundary? In that case, it is not unreasonable to predict a D as statistically vast majority of candidates remain on the same grade or go lower...

Anyway, best of luck to you! My teacher is predicting me a B at A2, despite getting A in AS last year and doing coursework this year, which, I believe, is a total grade booster. I know the feeling.

I was 11 UMS from the Grade C boundary. I think to them I look like a D material. But I'm going to prove them wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I was 11 UMS from the Grade C boundary.

I take my words back then, how can they predict a lower grade just a month in... I'm sure you can go up or at least maintain and kick everyone's behind. I do hope they change the prediction and it doesn't mess up your uni application.
I was 11 UMS from the Grade C boundary. I think to them I look like a D material. But I'm going to prove them wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's possible these predictions came from your old college - when students transfer the UCAS reference and prediction are usually written by the Year 12 college/school as they know them better. The new college would just update and copy it.
In my sixth form, if you've just scraped a grade then they predict you the grade below. You keep the same grade prediction if you're in the solid boundary. They predict you a grade above if you're about 6 ums off..

Quick Reply

Latest