The Student Room Group

Ridiculous/frustrating coursework briefs

Let me set the story a bit: I'm in my honours years now (4 year degree = 2 years of honours) and on the first day of honours, we were told it would all get serious from here, there would be a lot of reading and writing complex academic papers etc etc.

Three weeks later: we're given a coursework brief that involves writing a magazine article. We've been given no guidance on how to write it, just be creative and write a magazine article about the topic provided.

Part of the marking scheme is obviously writing in an appropriate style for the brief. Considering my entire academic life thus far has required me to write reports and essays, I'm hardly clued up on the appropriate way to write an article. No article I've ever read starts with an essay-style introduction. I don't even know where to begin.

(this wouldn't be so ridiculous if I was doing something like journalism, where I am likely to be writing an article one day, but I'm not)

What has been your most frustrating/ridiculous coursework brief?

And if you have any tips on writing an article instead of an essay, please fire them at me because I'm lost. I know exactly what content I want to include, I just don't know how to take my mind from writing an essay to writing a magazine article.
Original post by GoingToBurst
Let me set the story a bit: I'm in my honours years now (4 year degree = 2 years of honours) and on the first day of honours, we were told it would all get serious from here, there would be a lot of reading and writing complex academic papers etc etc.

Three weeks later: we're given a coursework brief that involves writing a magazine article. We've been given no guidance on how to write it, just be creative and write a magazine article about the topic provided.

Part of the marking scheme is obviously writing in an appropriate style for the brief. Considering my entire academic life thus far has required me to write reports and essays, I'm hardly clued up on the appropriate way to write an article. No article I've ever read starts with an essay-style introduction. I don't even know where to begin.

(this wouldn't be so ridiculous if I was doing something like journalism, where I am likely to be writing an article one day, but I'm not)

And if you have any tips on writing an article instead of an essay, please fire them at me because I'm lost. I know exactly what content I want to include, I just don't know how to take my mind from writing an essay to writing a magazine article.

I would recommend reading some magazines to get an idea on how to write an articulate remember your targit audience what is the subject if you don't mind me asking?
university

1. you pay 10.000
2. you expect them to teach you
3. they teach you nothing
3. they give you **** ton of work
4. they still teach you nothing
5. they expect you to know everything by yourself without any help
6. they still teach you nothing yet you are still going to all the lectures anyway so you won't feel too bad for your waste of money

XD

Can't help with writing the article, but in my third and final year of an International Relations degree I was asked to write what my lecturer called a 'book review.' Except you could see from the brief that actually he wasn't interested in what we thought of the book, but instead wanted us to critique a theme in it and that was also evident from the feedback I got. I hadn't done anything like that since English Lit GCSE.

So what, there's a ton of material on the internet or in books on how to write articles, go and find it. The whole point of university is that you learn to take responsibility for your own learning rather than being given extensive briefs that tell you how to do everything.

Relish the challenge! You won't believe some of the things you will get asked to do with little or no guidance when you start your career, often with a lot more than a coursework grade at stake.

The first day in Communications I was told to write an overview of propagation my speciality at the time was digital I didn't have a clue what that was so I wrote about all the kinds of communications VHF,Morse code (thinking that was what propagation was) turns out I was completely wrong I would have expected a bit of information maybe actually being told what propagation was firs before being asked to do that (thank god it didn't count towards my final grade)

also whats the subject of your article
(edited 8 years ago)
assuming it's supposed to be a piece for a 'quality' magazine you could have a look at the economist style guide

structurally it's going to have some similarity with an essay - you're going to need an introduction explaining why the subject of the article is interesting/important and a conclusion with the stuff you want to say sandwiched between. try dissecting the structure of articles in (e.g.) new scientist - the economist with highlighter pens (or whatever else you prefer to use)

as per usual if you're having trouble getting anything written down go for a walk... or maybe having a beer (obv not to the point of getting wrecked) will get some ideas flowing.
I was asked to write a 'reflective essay'. We were told the topic could be any problem and how we overcame it. We had to include references. That was the entire guidance. I put it off for 2 months, wrote it in 2 hours on deadline day and got 75%, apparently I hit the nail on the head but most people did really poorly as we had no clue at all what the lecturer actually wanted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending