The Student Room Group

Just started a job but a better ones available

Started working at M&S this Monday. But travelling there is 1h30min by bus. I work 3-11pm. Paid 6.70. Mon-Friday. Don't get much free time.

Invited to induction at McDonalds after landing M&S job. Just a 1 Mintue walk from my house. Pays the same. Potentially only doing night shifts and breakfast. So chance of increase in pay.

Which is better? I'm leaning towards mcdonalds, but I'm worried that it won't appear as prestigious as m&s when applying for jobs. I'm hoping to go on to work at nearby retail stores near me from the experience I gain.

Would be very grateful for advice.

Scroll to see replies

Personally I wouldn't touch MacDonalds as In refuse to work sustained night shifts.

Apart from that 1 min commute >> 1.5hour commute.
Reply 2
there is only 1 thing going for that mcdonalds job. the very short commute!
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
Started working at M&S this Monday. But travelling there is 1h30min by bus. I work 3-11pm. Paid 6.70. Mon-Friday. Don't get much free time.

Invited to induction at McDonalds after landing M&S job. Just a 1 Mintue walk from my house. Pays the same. Potentially only doing night shifts and breakfast. So chance of increase in pay.

Which is better? I'm leaning towards mcdonalds, but I'm worried that it won't appear as prestigious as m&s when applying for jobs. I'm hoping to go on to work at nearby retail stores near me from the experience I gain.

Would be very grateful for advice.

They're both customer facing roles, so I think McDonald's is better to be honest.

Do you catch a bus which takes 90 minutes at the end of your shift?

If so, f that
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Personally I wouldn't touch MacDonalds as In refuse to work sustained night shifts.

Apart from that 1 min commute >> 1.5hour commute.

Is that because you don't like night shifts? The thing is I'm going to bed late. So I wouldn't mind doing a night shift, especially if it's paying me extra.
Original post by tehforum
They're both customer facing roles, so I think McDonald's is better to be honest.

Do you catch a bus which takes 90 minutes at the end of your shift?

If so, f that

It takes an 1 hour at night. What should I do about quitting from M&S? I have no clue how to go about this.
My friend quit his job from an international ibank to be a broker after only a week, so people do do that.
Reply 7
It takes an 1 hour at night. What should I do about quitting from M&S? I have no clue how to go about this.

if you don't know what to say just don't turn up. i'm sure they'll work it out.
Is that because you don't like night shifts? The thing is I'm going to bed late. So I wouldn't mind doing a night shift, especially if it's paying me extra.

Ye I just feel noticeably **** on a day to day basis if I get bad sleep. I can't adjust. It made me feel ill just getting up at 5am all the time never mind actually working through the night proper. Wouldn't get any decent sleep.
Original post by pbw
if you don't know what to say just don't turn up. i'm sure they'll work it out.

Nah, you need to say to that you're leaving as that's good courtesy even though the OP will be leaving before any official notice period.
Nah, you need to say to that you're leaving as that's good courtesy even though the OP will be leaving before any official notice period.

Couldn't I just turn up with a resignation letter tomorrow and say something along the lines of I have other commitments that I'm unable to commit to with this job.
Couldn't I just turn up with a resignation letter tomorrow and say something along the lines of I have other commitments that I'm unable to commit to with this job.

You can

Double check your contract though
You can

Double check your contract though

Do you have a specific thought in mind? I just assume it's better to come up with a reason so you're not held in a negative light. I'm assuming asking for a reference is pointless.
Do you have a specific thought in mind? I just assume it's better to come up with a reason so you're not held in a negative light. I'm assuming asking for a reference is pointless.

Yeah I'd say that a reference would be useless
Mcdonalds will be tougher work but I wouldn't worry about prestige neither will be particularly skilled

you can, if you have worked there under one month, check your contract, most places ask for a weeks notice. if it was me i would go with McDonalds- being just 1 min away. but i see your point with M and S looking better on a CV.
Reply 16
Sod the contract and its details. Throw yourself on their mercy. Explain how the bus service is unreliable and you are having to leave 2 hours before work and sometimes it has taken hours to get home. Tell them the bus fare is taking so much of your pay, what with your outgoings, you can't afford to continue working there. Apologise profusely, say you should never have taken the job, that you're really upset and really sorry, but can you finish the shift you've turned up to do, and then finish. Stick to your guns.

Most managers will think "Bloody students", sigh, say "OK, I'll sort out your pay, but don't bother asking for a reference" and then start contacting the other 499 people who applied for the job.

Suggestion: have you checked if there is a M&S much nearer to home? Once you are working for a company, it is much easier to get a transfer than it is to get in.
Obviously M&S is more appealing but there's no point in you travelling 60-90 minutes each time if you can get a job right by your house. Check your contract for your notice period, hand it in and just say another opportunity came up.
Original post by likewildfires
Obviously M&S is more appealing but there's no point in you travelling 60-90 minutes each time if you can get a job right by your house. Check your contract for your notice period, hand it in and just say another opportunity came up.

Are there any negative effects to wanting to resign in that particular way? I assumed they would mark me so if ever I applied again I would be rejected. I don't mind the work, just hate the commuting.
Are there any negative effects to wanting to resign in that particular way? I assumed they would mark me so if ever I applied again I would be rejected. I don't mind the work, just hate the commuting.

I don't think so, maybe write that you found a job closer to home? I only work 25 minutes away and I hate the commute, I couldn't imagine 60+ minutes so I don't blame you at all for wanting to go to another job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending