The Student Room Group

RAF Medical

I have been accepted to do my ASTs. Do they look at your GP medical notes at any stage? I was ill due to a one-off incident (I am fine now) and I do not want to be disqualified because of it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Georg Hegel
I have been accepted to do my ASTs. Do they look at your GP medical notes at any stage? I was ill due to a one-off incident (I am fine now) and I do not want to be disqualified because of it.

They will ask you questions about pre-existing issues or past issues or illnesses which I would suggest being 100% honest with them (them being Capita the company who perform the medical about). They may well then either pass, fail or refer your application. I am currently at the referral stage and this has meant a letter to my GP (2 in fact) regarding the operation in question.

I think your asked on the initial application about any illnesses or issues past or present.

Hope this helps, crack on with the AST and worry about the medical once you nail that! Never know you may be worrying about nothing!
Original post by kilted_sparky
They will ask you questions about pre-existing issues or past issues or illnesses which I would suggest being 100% honest with them (them being Capita the company who perform the medical about). They may well then either pass, fail or refer your application. I am currently at the referral stage and this has meant a letter to my GP (2 in fact) regarding the operation in question.

I think your asked on the initial application about any illnesses or issues past or present.

Hope this helps, crack on with the AST and worry about the medical once you nail that! Never know you may be worrying about nothing!

Thanks! I will focus on the AST. I was very surprised because my initial application was accepted the next day. I am doing my masters part-time and I was in the army cadets so maybe that's why. I haven't been diagnosed with anything or given medication so hopefully I will be fine. Thanks again :-)
Original post by Georg Hegel
Thanks! I will focus on the AST. I was very surprised because my initial application was accepted the next day. I am doing my masters part-time and I was in the army cadets so maybe that's why. I haven't been diagnosed with anything or given medication so hopefully I will be fine. Thanks again :-)

No problem. It can often depend on trade, pinch trades get moved along quicker. Which trade are you going for?

Are you going for Officer?

Fair enough, just be honest with them and they will make the choice its probably the only part out with your control.

AST - scrub up on maths etc but the biggest thing is time make sure you set yourself a time close to the exam conditions

Interview - research and practice your answers

Pre-joining fitness test - time your runs (treadmill or not) and push ups every
day and night

PRTC - practice beep test, push ups, sit ups and scrub up on English and Maths

Final interview - same as the first.

Depending on which Masters degree, I'm sure the Maths and English may well be a doddle for you.
Original post by kilted_sparky
No problem. It can often depend on trade, pinch trades get moved along quicker. Which trade are you going for?

Are you going for Officer?

Fair enough, just be honest with them and they will make the choice its probably the only part out with your control.

AST - scrub up on maths etc but the biggest thing is time make sure you set yourself a time close to the exam conditions

Interview - research and practice your answers

Pre-joining fitness test - time your runs (treadmill or not) and push ups every
day and night

PRTC - practice beep test, push ups, sit ups and scrub up on English and Maths

Final interview - same as the first.

Depending on which Masters degree, I'm sure the Maths and English may well be a doddle for you.

Thanks for replying, it's very helpful :-) I am trying for the Reserves NCO. From what I read I can only go as a NCO in the Reserves but I will ask about progressing to an officer. I am trying for Personnel roles and Intelligence. I'm doing my MA in English but I wasn't able to put that on my form, just that I was in part-time study.

I am planning on studying an hour a day for the test and do alternate between running outdoors and going swimming, with push ups and sit-ups. Depending on how much time I have, I should be able to build my fitness up so I can do as well as I can.

Quick Reply

Latest