The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS University of London Applicant Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi Acho123

I'm sorry to hear you haven't heard back from our team. Can you please email me on [email protected] and I will follow this up?

Many thanks
Beth
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 641
Original post by SOAS Student Helper
@GOKU27

Lol. Always worth a try!

We keep it unique, creative, competitive and innovative. You can't change the world without knowing it first. #SOAS

O.o sounds like something I should tweet!

~Mike

Hi, sorry slightly off topic but I was wondering do SOAS allow you to change your degree? I have received an unconditional offer for a masters (which I had deferred from last year) but I have found a SOAS course that I am more interested in and I meet the entry requirements. I was wondering if I now need to submit a new application or is there a way for me to amend this?
Original post by nmlrs
Hi, sorry slightly off topic but I was wondering do SOAS allow you to change your degree? I have received an unconditional offer for a masters (which I had deferred from last year) but I have found a SOAS course that I am more interested in and I meet the entry requirements. I was wondering if I now need to submit a new application or is there a way for me to amend this?

Hi nmlrs,

You can apply for your offer to be amended by emailing [email protected]. If the new degree is quite different from the degree originally offered, it is likely that you will need to provide a new personal statement by email. The admissions team would then attach this to your application, which would then be sent to the relevant academic department for consideration. If for any reason we were unable to make you an offer for the new course, you would still keep your place on the original course.

Hope this helps! :h:

Laura
Reply 643
Original post by SOAS Student Helper
Hi nmlrs,

You can apply for your offer to be amended by emailing [email protected]. If the new degree is quite different from the degree originally offered, it is likely that you will need to provide a new personal statement by email. The admissions team would then attach this to your application, which would then be sent to the relevant academic department for consideration. If for any reason we were unable to make you an offer for the new course, you would still keep your place on the original course.

Hope this helps! :h:

Laura

Thank you!
Hi SOAS Student Helper,

I wanted to ask you what benefits do we have as SOAS students? I know that some universities offer some perks to their students etc. I just wanted to know what do we get from SOAS, apart from the academic merit LOL... I also wanted to know how can I get a job at the university? I have worked previously in the accommodation department of my university, administration, customer service etc...It would be easier for me to work at SOAS, in order to balance my student and work life.

Please help!
Thank you
Reply 645
Hi, for Poltics ad. Social anthropology , what re the requirements?ThanksSara
Original post by SOAS
Thinking about SOAS? We are too! Ask us a question, leave a comment, or just chat to other applicants. Starter for 10...

What are you applying for?
What A levels are you studying?
What are you most looking forward to?
What are you looking to do after uni?

Any questions, tag us at @SOAS Student Helper We are here to help you out! :h:

Hello!

I'm currently assessing whether SOAS would be the best choice for me.

I'm looking to do the Japanese Studies BA, but would ideally commute rather than live in halls. I've been trying to get an idea of the length of days i.e. start times and end times to see if this would be doable.

I've been creating a rough timetable using the facilities on your website however obviously this cannot provide me a complete picture as the software if targeted towards current students and staff and I was wondering if it would be possible for you to provide me with an example timetable for someone doing Y1 Japanese Studies (I would be looking to do Japanese 1A/1B if this helps!)

Thanks so much!
Original post by ippoteq
Hello!

I'm currently assessing whether SOAS would be the best choice for me.

I'm looking to do the Japanese Studies BA, but would ideally commute rather than live in halls. I've been trying to get an idea of the length of days i.e. start times and end times to see if this would be doable.

I've been creating a rough timetable using the facilities on your website however obviously this cannot provide me a complete picture as the software if targeted towards current students and staff and I was wondering if it would be possible for you to provide me with an example timetable for someone doing Y1 Japanese Studies (I would be looking to do Japanese 1A/1B if this helps!)

Thanks so much!

Hi Ippoteq,

There are many variables in setting a timetable, so we can't confirm your exact course schedule.

Our Japanese lecturers have advised that there are not many late evening courses in this programme, and the number of early (9am) starts varies depending on the modules you select and what you choose as a guided option.

In a standard week you can expect you can expect to spend:

3 hours per week on Language (over 20 weeks) (30 credits)
2 hours per week on Cool Japan (10 weeks) (15 credits)
2 hours per week on Reading and Writing East Asian Studies - (10 weeks) (15 credits)
2 hours per week on East Asian Civilisations (new module, 20 weeks) 30 credits

Plus some time each week spent on your chosen guided module (20 weeks ) 2 x 15 or 30 credits.

I hope this helps in making your decision! You can read more about alternatives to living in halls here. Our accommodation office is also available to help if you have any questions, you can learn how to contact them here.

Anna
Original post by SOAS
Thinking about SOAS? We are too! Ask us a question, leave a comment, or just chat to other applicants. Starter for 10...

What are you applying for?
What A levels are you studying?
What are you most looking forward to?
What are you looking to do after uni?

Any questions, tag us at @SOAS Student Helper We are here to help you out! :h:

I got offers from Soas and Birmingham for ppe.Which one should I firm?Whats the better course?I like both of their modules and I being an intl student am more interested in London than in anywhere else in the Uk.Please guide.
Guys please help me which offer should I firm amongst them.I’m an international student and would be more interested in London but I don’t know which courses are more prestigious or about how student life etc is in either of the cities.I like Soas modules and Soas is 5 in UK for politics and really good in economics aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending