The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS University of London Applicant Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SOAS Student Helper
@AithyTilly

Aww shucks :frown: There isn't any in December. But if you plan ahead and give us a date, we could schedule you in for a tour of the campus and for you to meet some of the academics (assuming they're not off discovering new and exciting things!). It could be a weekend trip and then you can go out in London and get a taste of the city!

Since you're an international student have you heard about UCAS and how to apply? I know today our International twitter channel has a series of tweets that will help you apply. Definitely worth giving them and their Facebook channel a like. Here's the link to their Twitter and their Facebook

~Mike

That sounds amazing, thank you! I'll email straight away. I'm actually applying for home status (having looked into it seems that one can be "normally resident" in two places and I go to an English curriculum school, have an English passport, have always intended to live there later, my family has property there that we return to multiple times a year etc. etc.) but it's wonderful that it's so user-friendly, I have friends who are baffled about international applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by JimJimJim
Looking forward to the open day next Wednesday! Should I have received an Email with open day timetable details by now? It was about a month ago I registered and at that time I was told I would get another Email.

Just checking as I'm having to get the 4am bus from South Yorkshire so want to be sure :tongue:

@JimJimJim

South Yorkshire? WOW! That's dedication. We'll make sure your visit is definitely worth the 3am wake up call.

Hmmm, that's strange. You should have received one on Monday. PM me your full name and your email address and I'll double check it in the system. As soon as you do that, I'll resend the invite to you.

~Mike
Original post by AithyTilly
That sounds amazing, thank you! I'll email straight away. I'm actually applying for home status (having looked into it seems that one can be "normally resident" in two places and I go to an English curriculum school, have an English passport, have always intended to live there later, my family has property there that we return to multiple times a year etc. etc.) but it's wonderful that it's so user-friendly, I have friends who are baffled about international applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

@AithyTilly

That's awesome if they can. I'd totally have residency in Spain. Nothing like 30 degree weather and beaches!

If you have more questions about visas, passports, residency etc. your best bet is to look at this page here - to see under which fees you would have to pay / which residency you qualify for.

It looks pretty straight forward but if you have another question, you know where to go and who to contact... this guy (aka me) @SOAS Student Helper :thumbsup:

~Mike
What are you applying for?: BA Hebrew & Arabic
What A levels are you studying?: English Language, Classics, Economics (Predicted A*AB) - Dropped AS Politics

My questions would be this, due to SOAS being a BDS institution I am worried this will have a negative effect on a Hebrew degree that I would like to pursue.

Also how quickly do SOAS process applications, because I haven't received an acknowledgement yet, despite sending my UCAS off nearly two weeks ago?
Original post by Joe~ISR
What are you applying for?: BA Hebrew & Arabic
What A levels are you studying?: English Language, Classics, Economics (Predicted A*AB) - Dropped AS Politics

My questions would be this, due to SOAS being a BDS institution I am worried this will have a negative effect on a Hebrew degree that I would like to pursue.

Also how quickly do SOAS process applications, because I haven't received an acknowledgement yet, despite sending my UCAS off nearly two weeks ago?

Hey @Joe~ISR

English, Hebrew and Arabic - by the end of it, you'll be a language guru!

I'm sorry you think that. However, I can assure you, SOAS is not a BDS university. That was an opinion poll which was organised and ran by the Students' Union in 2014. SOAS is a neutral platform and does allow for our diverse community to express their opinions but only if conducted in an atmosphere of open enquiry, mutual tolerance and intellectual freedom.

So please don't be alarmed by this. The Students' Union is an independent organisation. That poll has not been endorsed by the university and will not affect what you are taught in any way.

Processing time for applications are tricky. Throughout the year, there's busy season and then times like these which are quieter than normal. The programme you're interested in usually receives quite a few applications at the beginning of the cycle. Everything goes through the UCAS cycle first, so until they get it to us, we won't be able to start on your application. I don't have your details so I can't personally check for you if we have received them but as long as you pressed submit, trust me, we will receive your application and we're excited to read it! :smile:

Do note that since deadlines for courses in medicine, dentistry and medical sciences is due today the 15th, don't quote me on that, but I believe UCAS pushes those out faster than those who applied for other programmes. After the crazes of medicine and science is over, if we don't already have your application, then UCAS will push that out to us ASAP. I reckon that if we haven't received it yet from UCAS, then we will be receiving it by end of this month.

There's no easy way to process applications, except by going through it one by one. So please do bear that in mind. It goes through the admission team, then gets passed along to each head of departments, then if you're on the border, it might be seen by another party. This can take anywhere between 2-4 weeks.

Can't make any guarantees, but you should get it back by end of November / beginning of December, if not earlier.

Long process, I know. But trust me when I say this... don't sit there and watch your emails like a hawk lol. It will drive you crazy! :crazy:
This is a time to continue to work hard in school, but most importantly, to relax. The hard work you've done thus far is worth some relaxation time. Writing personal statement and filling out the UCAS application is no easy task. So be happy it's over for the meantime and just enjoy A levels. (growing up sucks, so make sure you enjoy your time now lol) :rave:
Reply 25
What are you applying for? History and Chinese.
What A levels are you studying? History, French, Biology (dropped Geography!).
What are you most looking forward to? Meeting other likeminded students, especially international ones - one of the reasons that I chose SOAS was its multicultural reputation (in one of the most multicultural cities on earth). Also really keen to learn Mandarin. I've been self-teaching it for a while now as my school doesn't offer it as a subject :frown:
What are you looking to do after uni? No idea in particular. I know that I want to do some international work, maybe in politics or development?

I'm applying for a couple of other courses at my other Uni choices, so whilst my personal statement discusses China and History at length I'm worried that it's not specific enough as I also drop in mentions of French! I know that you can submit a different personal statement but I don't think that's possible to do with my school. Fingers crossed it works out :eek:
(edited 8 years ago)
(Original post by SOAS Student Helper)
Hey sssof_ , bellalalaxo and everyone else interested in SOAS!

We are one of two universities that offer a BA in Korean. So we're one of the best in the world! lol. Our language department is ranked 2nd for teaching in the UK and numero 1 for research. You'll be learning classical traditions as well as contemporary developments both at SOAS and at our many prestigious partner universities in Japan and Korea on your year abroad. Oh, did I mention... SOAS is the world's leading institution for the study of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East

Because we're an international school (we have students from over 160 countries), you'll be able to practice in and outside the classroom. We have loads of societies, events and opportunities to interact, talk and learn cultures and customs of those who are natives to Korea, Japan, and even people from countries like Brazil who has a good Korean population. You'll be able to hear and see different dialects!

Do you have any questions for me about the programme or the school in general? I'm here to help! P.S. we have a 2016 Application Thread for those applying for SOAS. Please feel free to message me personally or on the thread, get into contact with other potential SOASians, engage in some witty banter etc.

~MikeHi! I have a few questions if that's okay?

Which universities do you go to on the Korean year abroad?
Are there any opportunities to study another language as a module later on?
How many applicants do SOAS usually receive for Korean Studies and how many offers are made?
Also when I went to the university of Manchester they seemed rather lenient on entry requirements and Sheffield were pretty like "you still have to meet the offer even if we like you" What is SOAS's stance on grades and unconditional offers?

Also I did like SOAS but the cost of being a student in London and accommodation costs worry me, as well as travelling back up north to see family >.<

Thank you!

@bellalalaxo

Right now we currently have students at Korea University or Sogang University in Seoul in their year abroad. By time you get to your second year here, it is likely those will expand.

A lot of students typically do a dual degree. So they'll combine Korean with either Chinese or Japanese, Indonesian or Linguistics. There's a few more options you can combine it with here. There is always a way to pick up an additional language after your first year, but it is not always granted. You're better off starting with an additional language, and if you don't like it, dropping it later. It saves you so much more time, effort and less headache that way. Besides, two degrees are always better than one!

Korean studies usually receive quite a few offers. The exact numbers fluctuate every year. But in general there is a 7:1 applicant placed with us. We have 6 different UG Korean and Japanese programmes, so there's plenty of spaces to go around! Don't worry!

With entry standards, we typically try to stay true to the AAB entry requirement. That's not to say we won't accept lower. Those with a strong UCAS application and a strong personal statement do make a very good impression on us. So it's important to write that to the best of your ability and really demonstrate why you think you'd be a good fit for us, and vice versa etc.

Uni is all about getting out of your comfort zone, challenging yourself, challenging your perspectives and becoming more independent. I came from the States to do my degree and it was the best decision ever. Sure, there's times that you'll feel lonely. Times where you'll feel homesick, but that's all part of the fun. That's all part of growing up. Home is where you make it and with the people here, the connections you'll make, the fun you'll have, the relationships you'll form... you will make London your home and before you know it, you'll be begging to stay here during the summer period! Lol. It's scary but if anyone can do it, it's definitely you! :h:

~Mike

Right now we currently have students at Korea University or Sogang University in Seoul in their year abroad. By time you get to your second year here, it is likely those will expand.

A lot of students typically do a dual degree. So they'll combine Korean with either Chinese or Japanese, Indonesian or Linguistics. There's a few more options you can combine it with here. There is always a way to pick up an additional language after your first year, but it is not always granted. You're better off starting with an additional language, and if you don't like it, dropping it later. It saves you so much more time, effort and less headache that way. Besides, two degrees are always better than one!

Korean studies usually receive quite a few offers. The exact numbers fluctuate every year. But in general there is a 7:1 applicant placed with us. We have 6 different UG Korean and Japanese programmes, so there's plenty of spaces to go around! Don't worry!

With entry standards, we typically try to stay true to the AAB entry requirement. That's not to say we won't accept lower. Those with a strong UCAS application and a strong personal statement do make a very good impression on us. So it's important to write that to the best of your ability and really demonstrate why you think you'd be a good fit for us, and vice versa etc.

Uni is all about getting out of your comfort zone, challenging yourself, challenging your perspectives and becoming more independent. I came from the States to do my degree and it was the best decision ever. Sure, there's times that you'll feel lonely. Times where you'll feel homesick, but that's all part of the fun. That's all part of growing up. Home is where you make it and with the people here, the connections you'll make, the fun you'll have, the relationships you'll form... you will make London your home and before you know it, you'll be begging to stay here during the summer period! Lol. It's scary but if anyone can do it, it's definitely you! :h:

~Mike

Thank you :smile: Can I ask what your degree was in or is that a bit cheeky?

I'd apply to Korean and Chinese if I could but I'm worried about being only "okay" in two languages rather than good in one! Also I already sent my UCAS to my college with just Korean!

Thank you for all your help

-Bella
I'm planning to study History BA and i currently have predictions of ABB although i know can achieve an A*, but my teacher won't allow A* as a predicted grade, so i'm stuck with the A. Also i think i can get an additional A, sadly my teacher isn't prepared to predict me anything higher than a B, because i got a C at AS, although i was only a few ums away from a B. So i was wondering, if with an excellent personal statement and good references, could i get an offer even with only ABB predicted grades, although i am 100% sure i can get A*BB and to a lesser extent A*AB? I know SOAS typically only offers AAB offers but do you think they would they be willing to offer me an ABB or an AAB? I've visited SOAS multiple times now for taster courses and open days and i really want to go there, but i'm scared of being turned away because of my predicted grades.
Original post by bellalalaxo
Thank you :smile: Can I ask what your degree was in or is that a bit cheeky?

I'd apply to Korean and Chinese if I could but I'm worried about being only "okay" in two languages rather than good in one! Also I already sent my UCAS to my college with just Korean!

Thank you for all your help

-Bella

Lol. Guesses are certainly welcome, but I do love a bit of mystery. I guess that's just the American in me :wink:

Fun fact! If all of your uni choices on your UCAS application was just Korean, but you applied for the Korean and Chinese programme at SOAS. You can send what is called a supplement/secondary statement highlighting why you'll be awesome at Chinese and why you want to study it etc. It's pretty much another personal statement. Just email that to [email protected] including your full name and UCAS ID number (don't forget this, otherwise we won't know who you are!) and make sure you state that it is a secondary/supplement statement.

There's no rule as when to send that but the general rule of thumb is to send it 7-10 days after you submitted your UCAS application. If it's been more than two weeks, either email them to verify if it's okay to send it still (make sure youre really nice!) or give us a ring at (0)20 7898 4306/4351/4301.

The secondary statement will be read by the admissions team, then by an academic in the Chinese department and if you make the grade, you'll be an acceptance letter! Then you'll be one of us (insert evil laugh here) :sneakydevil:

But in all seriousness, I spent 3 years learning Spanish in uni as complementary modules, did a summer abroad in Spain, and now I've been dancing Salsa and speaking fluently ever since! My job prospectus went through the roof. The world is very global, and facebook is making it even more interconnected. Two languages is great. But three languages?! I'll be working for you one day! Lol. You'll be spending 4 years mastering the language. We had one of our students win a prestigious award after just studying a language for 12 months! It's a good read. Definitely worth a look. I think you'll do fine studying both Korean and Chinese, and the year abroad will help you learn the little nooks and crannies of the language.

Do you have any idea what you might be interested in doing after you graduate?

~Mike
Original post by Zakriah
I'm planning to study History BA and i currently have predictions of ABB although i know can achieve an A*, but my teacher won't allow A* as a predicted grade, so i'm stuck with the A. Also i think i can get an additional A, sadly my teacher isn't prepared to predict me anything higher than a B, because i got a C at AS, although i was only a few ums away from a B. So i was wondering, if with an excellent personal statement and good references, could i get an offer even with only ABB predicted grades, although i am 100% sure i can get A*BB and to a lesser extent A*AB? I know SOAS typically only offers AAB offers but do you think they would they be willing to offer me an ABB or an AAB? I've visited SOAS multiple times now for taster courses and open days and i really want to go there, but i'm scared of being turned away because of my predicted grades.

Hi @Zakriah

For our BA History the minimum requirement is ABB. So you just make it through the threshold. I can't state the importance of a strong personal statement and good reference though. We look at the whole process. Even students who have AAA but weak references, we take double and sometimes triple looks at.

Worried? Sorry, Lol. You shouldn't be. We read hundreds and thousands of statements. We see right through the ones who are not genuine. Authenticity is key. We just want to know about you. About your likes. About why you want to study. About why uni is a good choice for you. etc. whatever you choose to write about, just be genuine. It speaks more about the person you are and the person you'll become then fabricating a story just to gain entrance. This isn't just a contract or an education we're both committing to. We want to see that you're a good fit for our family, much like we're a good fit into yours.

I'm sorry your teacher won't give you a higher predicted grade, but take that as a challenge. A challenge to prove him/her wrong. A challenge to be the best you can be. I'm rooting for you over here. Your hardwork, your dedication will pay off and I believe you'll be sitting in SOAS lecture theatre next year.

Just keep working hard in class, write an awesome personal statement and do a bit of sucking up to your teachers so they can give you a good recommendation :wink:.

I'm always interested in seeing what people want to do with their degrees, so I'll ask you the same - is there anything you want to do with History in particular?

~Mike
Original post by elen90
What are you applying for? History and Chinese.
What A levels are you studying? History, French, Biology (dropped Geography!).
What are you most looking forward to? Meeting other likeminded students, especially international ones - one of the reasons that I chose SOAS was its multicultural reputation (in one of the most multicultural cities on earth). Also really keen to learn Mandarin. I've been self-teaching it for a while now as my school doesn't offer it as a subject :frown:
What are you looking to do after uni? No idea in particular. I know that I want to do some international work, maybe in politics or development?

I'm applying for a couple of other courses at my other Uni choices, so whilst my personal statement discusses China and History at length I'm worried that it's not specific enough as I also drop in mentions of French! I know that you can submit a different personal statement but I don't think that's possible to do with my school. Fingers crossed it works out :eek:

Welcomeeeeee @elen90 to the chat :smile:

We most certainly are international over here at SOAS. We have over 160 countries walking through our halls on a daily basis. SOAS is a launch pad into international work.

You would submit the 2nd personal statement to us if you were applying to a French course. Not quite sure how they'll look at you dropping French into the conversation but since you put History and Chinese on your UCAS application and personal statemetn at length, I'm sure you'll be fine. It definitely doesn't hurt for me to cross my fingers for you!

When did you submit your UCAS app again?

~Mike
Reply 32
What are you applying for? Japanese or korean and japanese
What A levels are you studying? i am not studying A level but i am studying BTEC health and social care level 3 extended diploma which is equivalent to an A level "predicted to get a D*D*D*"
What are you most looking forward to? Getting accepted and go to my first lecture and living life
What are you looking to do after uni? Get a job either in japan or in the UK working in somethings to do with Japanese or japan

also do you take functional skills level 2 in math and english
Reply 33
Welcomeeeeee @elen90 to the chat :smile:

We most certainly are international over here at SOAS. We have over 160 countries walking through our halls on a daily basis. SOAS is a launch pad into international work.

You would submit the 2nd personal statement to us if you were applying to a French course. Not quite sure how they'll look at you dropping French into the conversation but since you put History and Chinese on your UCAS application and personal statemetn at length, I'm sure you'll be fine. It definitely doesn't hurt for me to cross my fingers for you!

When did you submit your UCAS app again?

~Mike

I haven't submitted it yet - is the 2nd personal statement a requirement then? I'm applying to Liberal Arts courses (History, French, Mandarin), and History and French.

Original post by elen90
I haven't submitted it yet - is the 2nd personal statement a requirement then? I'm applying to Liberal Arts courses (History, French, Mandarin), and History and French.

@elen90

It's not a requirement.

But once again, if for example, you applied to do Psychology at all of your choices on your UCAS application and on your personal statement that you submitted to UCAS, you only mentioned Psychology. But at SOAS you're interested in doing both Psychology and Physics, then it would be in your best interest to submit a 2nd personal statement to discuss why you're interested in Physics.

Does that make sense?

~Mike
Reply 35
@elen90

It's not a requirement.

But once again, if for example, you applied to do Psychology at all of your choices on your UCAS application and on your personal statement that you submitted to UCAS, you only mentioned Psychology. But at SOAS you're interested in doing both Psychology and Physics, then it would be in your best interest to submit a 2nd personal statement to discuss why you're interested in Physics.

Does that make sense?

~Mike

Ah I see now! Okay - I don't think it's really necessary given that I discuss History and China/Mandarin more than French. Thanks for all your help :h:
Original post by lammy07
What are you applying for? Japanese or korean and japanese
What A levels are you studying? i am not studying A level but i am studying BTEC health and social care level 3 extended diploma which is equivalent to an A level "predicted to get a D*D*D*"
What are you most looking forward to? Getting accepted and go to my first lecture and living life
What are you looking to do after uni? Get a job either in japan or in the UK working in somethings to do with Japanese or japan

also do you take functional skills level 2 in math and english

Hi @lammy07

Welcome to the conversation!

We don't take functional skills level 2. For the courses you're interested in, we do look that you have some sort of language in your BTEC levels. If you haven't taken a language, then we look for a recommendation for any languages you might have taken in GCSE or as an outside course. In your personal statement it is crucial that you state your aptitude in any language that you have taken. It would be a case by case scenario to see if you meet the requirements of our programme. If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me!

~Mike
You have that African Safari there! I'm sure Suffolk isn't that bad. SOAS can be your home away from home. If you have any more questions about SOAS, about London life or anything. Feel free to give me a shout :smile:

~Mike

Haha Suffolk is good, but still can't wait to move

I sent off my application about a week and a half ago and haven't received an acknowledgement email yet. Do you know how long it generally takes?

Thanks
Original post by Chrissy.98
Haha Suffolk is good, but still can't wait to move

I sent off my application about a week and a half ago and haven't received an acknowledgement email yet. Do you know how long it generally takes?

Thanks

@Chrissy.98

On the 15th of October there was a UCAS deadline for those wishing to study medicine. I believe UCAS push those applications out first and puts a freeze on the other applications for a day or two. As long as you received a confirmation from UCAS, then rest assure we'll eventually get it. I know our admission officers have started to receive some applications now, and are just starting to read some of them. Whether we have received yours or not, I'm not quite sure. It's really whenever UCAS sends us yours! lol

You won't hear anything from us until...*I'm crossing my fingers*....you receive that 'congratulations you have been accepted into SOAS' email. It's hard to judge how long it'll take because there's a few steps it has to get through, but we try and aim to get it to you between 4-6 weeks from when it hits our desk. Like I told someone else, the worst thing you can do is to watch your emails. You'll go crazy! Just keep working hard, enjoy this last bit of freedom before uni starts, and do something totally spontaneous! I kayak down the Amazon river before uni started.

~Mike
Hey all! Just a friendly reminder that UCAS is holding a Personal Statement Week this week 26th of October until 30th of October. You can join in the conversation, get help, see tips etc by logging into Facebook or Twitter and using the following hashtag #ucasps ! Don't forget SOAS University Code So9 ! (that's a letter and not the number 'zero':wink:.

While you're at it, you can find out more useful tips about London, applications, SOAS or just life advice by following our two channels dedicated to everything from applying, things to do, next step in the process and pretty much anything else you might be interested in learning before you start at SOAS! Here's our Twitter and Facebook channel

If you need any help, don't be afraid to give me a shout! :wavey:

~Mike

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending