The Student Room Group

Do i have a chance of getting accepted into economics at uni?

My five choices are Manchester, Sheffield, Aston, DMU Leicester, and Leicester Uni.

Most of these require AAB-ABB with the exception of DMU.

My AS grades are
Business BTEC - D*
Law - B
Psychology - A
Maths - D

I feel maths lets me down so much, i messed up on it but it is my fav subject. I am predicted a B this year. I dont know if Unis will accept me im worried because of my weak academics. Also my personal statement so far is shocking and I havent wrote much.
Original post by SunDun111
My five choices are Manchester, Sheffield, Aston, DMU Leicester, and Leicester Uni.

My AS grades are
Business BTEC - D*
Law - B
Psychology - A
Maths - D

I feel maths lets me down so much, i messed up on it but it is my fav subject. I am predicted a B this year. I dont know if Unis will accept me im worried because of my weak academics. Also my personal statement so far is shocking and I havent wrote much.

This is very difficult to predict as many universities require high grades of Maths for Economics. I would suggest checking the entry requirements and telephoning the admissions tutors to get a definite answer
Unless you can get predicted the stated requirements for a course, it's more or less a wasted application. You could still get in if it's not oversubscribed but you're more likely to be rejected if you're not predicted the required grades.

I suggest resitting some of your maths exams so that your final maths grade is at least a B.

My AS grades are
Business BTEC - D*
Law - B
Psychology - A
Maths - D

Reply 3
Original post by BoogieWoogie97
Unless you can get predicted the stated requirements for a course, it's more or less a wasted application. You could still get in if it's not oversubscribed but you're more likely to be rejected if you're not predicted the required grades.

I suggest resitting some of your maths exams so that your final maths grade is at least a B.

My Maths will be predicted a B and I am resitting, would it help if i applied for the BA? instead of the BSC?
I don't really see the difference between the two. I don't think it would give you an advantage to apply for the BA instead of the BSc. The point is that the predictions need to a) match or exceed the stated requirements and b) be realistic. An improvement of two grades, given the harder nature of A2, is likely to be seen as an overinflation.

Apply anyway and see what happens but if, you get rejected, I recommend reapplying with achieved grades next year. Universities will have a bit more confidence in you if you're applying with achieved grades that meet their requirements than if you apply with predicted grades that seem unrealistic based on past performance.

My Maths will be predicted a B and I am resitting, would it help if i applied for the BA? instead of the BSC?
Unfortunately your maths is going to present problems - it's fairly heavily used in economics and is often a required subject.

For Manchester (I don't know about the others), then
A) have a chat to the School of Social Sciences before applying, and
B) consider applying for the BA(Econ), which doesn't require maths and does have more social science modules included, rather than the more traditional BEconSc, which does require maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Origami Bullets
Unfortunately your maths is going to present problems - it's fairly heavily used in economics and is often a required subject.

For Manchester (I don't know about the others), then
A) have a chat to the School of Social Sciences before applying, and
B) consider applying for the BA(Econ), which doesn't require maths and does have more social science modules included, rather than the more traditional BEconSc, which does require maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But when i look at the entry for the BA it dosent require maths, it just says AAB, which does work out if you include my btec. They accept one btec.
Reply 7
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by BoogieWoogie97
I don't really see the difference between the two. I don't think it would give you an advantage to apply for the BA instead of the BSc. The point is that the predictions need to a) match or exceed the stated requirements and b) be realistic. An improvement of two grades, given the harder nature of A2, is likely to be seen as an overinflation.

Apply anyway and see what happens but if, you get rejected, I recommend reapplying with achieved grades next year. Universities will have a bit more confidence in you if you're applying with achieved grades that meet their requirements than if you apply with predicted grades that seem unrealistic based on past performance.

Do you think its realistic to get 2-3 offers? I do have other 3 decent grades and know i can get a B in Maths this year
Do you think its realistic to get 2-3 offers? I do have other 3 decent grades and know i can get a B in Maths this year

I couldn't possibly say. It depends entirely on the universities you apply to and what the admissions tutors at those universities make of you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest