The Student Room Group

For those of you doing A level Maths (main exam boards)..

check out http://www.examsolutions.net/

Free videos covering pretty much all topics including mechanics and stats, across the main exam boards.

Many of the questions that are regularly posted here could be figured out by yourself if you had a look at these videos.

Back when I was doing A levels, I only discovered this website a few days before my exams and I wished I had found it earlier, it's fantastic. It wasn't complete then, but I believe it is now.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JD1lla
check out http://www.examsolutions.net/

Free videos covering pretty much all topics including mechanics and stats, across the main exam boards.

Many of the questions that are regularly posted here could be figured out by yourself if you had a look at these videos.

Back when I was doing A levels, I only discovered this website a few days before my exams and I wished I had found it earlier, it's fantastic. It wasn't complete then, but I believe it is now.

It's a very helpful and popular resource, I'm sure most people know about it, but thank you for posting about it anyway, if it helps just one person, it'll be worth it. :smile:

It's not quite complete, there's M3, FP2 and FP3 (as far as I know, for Edexcel) that's still not quite complete. I'm self teaching Maths and Further Maths and that site has been a gold mine over the past few months.

Can only endorse the site!
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
It's a very helpful and popular resource, I'm sure most people know about it, but thank you for posting about it anyway, if it helps just one person, it'll be worth it. :smile:

It's not quite complete, there's M3, FP2 and FP3 (as far as I know, for Edexcel) that's still not quite complete. I'm self teaching Maths and Further Maths and that site has been a gold mine over the past few months.

Can only endorse the site!

I did A levels five years ago, back when I used this site even AQA wasn't finished. I didn't even know M3 existed.

Why are you self teaching if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 3
Original post by JD1lla
I did A levels five years ago, back when I used this site even AQA wasn't finished. I didn't even know M3 existed.

Why are you self teaching if you don't mind me asking?

International student, accelerated course... so I'm stuck all on my own! It's a refreshing experience and let's me explore more maths than I would in a classroom (group theory, analysis, etc... for a change from the standard curriculum). I've got my exams in Jan though, so I'm putting all the super curricular stuff on hold and focusing on that for the moment.
Reply 4
But they need to add D1 :rofl:
Reply 5
Original post by aamirac
But they need to add D1 :rofl:

Pah, rubbish module. :tongue: :rofl:
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Pah, rubbish module. :tongue: :rofl:

I hate it. It shouldn't be regarded as maths....
Reply 7
Original post by aamirac
I hate it. It shouldn't be regarded as maths....

I don't think it is by any sane person. :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken

I'd rather be doing M1 right now :rofl:
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken

Hmmm, I got 98 in it, so can't complain. I saw it as a module where you basically have to be a slow computer :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Notions
Hmmm, I got 98 in it, so can't complain. I saw it as a module where you basically have to be a slow computer :smile:

Congrats! :smile:

That's the main beef people have with it, I think, you get treated like a slow computer. xD
Reply 11
Original post by Zacken
Congrats! :smile:

That's the main beef people have with it, I think, you get treated like a slow computer. xD

Same could be said for most mathematical topics.
Reply 12
Original post by JD1lla
Same could be said for most mathematical topics.

I was thinking that over as I wrote it. A-Level maths is all about calculus and co-ordinate geometry and parametric equations, etc... things that computers can do in a seconds. Maths is all about proofs and is much more indepth than that, I completely agree. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Zacken
I was thinking that over as I wrote it. A-Level maths is all about calculus and co-ordinate geometry and parametric equations, etc... things that computers can do in a seconds. Maths is all about proofs and is much more indepth than that, I completely agree. :smile:

I prefer to see it as a useful language we can use to solve real life problems such as those in physics and engineering. Any branch of maths that has no real life application, or no intention to be used in that manner, I do not care about.

This is what A levels are designed to do. They introduce you to maths that is generally useful in real life applications; calculus, trig, mechanics etc.
Reply 14
Original post by JD1lla
I prefer to see it as a useful language we can use to solve real life problems such as those in physics and engineering. Any branch of maths that has no real life application, or no intention to be used in that manner, I do not care about.

This is what A levels are designed to do. They introduce you to maths that is generally useful in real life applications; calculus, trig, mechanics etc.

There was once a time when number theory was thought to be a pure branch of mathematics reserved for academics cut off from reality, and yet today it's the basis of all of cryptography and encryption and what makes using the internet possible. I wouldn't be so eager to disregard fields of maths that seemingly have no applications because they will emerge, sooner or later.

Although there's nothing wrong with pursuing a field for the sake of pursuing the field itself. Real life applications isn't always the be all and end all.
Original post by aamirac
I'd rather be doing M1 right now :rofl:

You really wouldn't. :erm:

On topic, yes that is a great site.
Not a fan of examsolutions myself :3

I prefer to use the stock textbooks and past papers, rather than anything extra.
Reply 17
Original post by Zacken
There was once a time when number theory was thought to be a pure branch of mathematics reserved for academics cut off from reality, and yet today it's the basis of all of cryptography and encryption and what makes using the internet possible. I wouldn't be so eager to disregard fields of maths that seemingly have no applications because they will emerge, sooner or later.

Although there's nothing wrong with pursuing a field for the sake of pursuing the field itself. Real life applications isn't always the be all and end all.

And this is why I carefully worded my reply to say "or no intention to be used in that manner". And nor did I disregard any particular branch, I merely stated I personally do not care for 'pure mathematics', despite it underlying many fundamental topics I study. Fortunately, there are people that do care, so I'll leave it to them.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with pursuing a field for the sake of it. Not that I care, but remember it's the tax payer that contributes financially to ones degree.

I rely heavily on the state to be able to fund my degree. It would be an insult to society if I were to finish my degree, lock myself up in a room and research abstract concepts purely because it's what I'm interested in.
People other than myself and my family are financially contributing towards my study. I am not doing this degree for me, and only me. Society needs to be repaid in some form or the other. So for me and my personal set of circumstances, real life application is the be all and end all.
I will be self-teaching myself AS Maths, and I hadn't heard of this site before.
Thanks!
Original post by SeanFM
You really wouldn't. :erm:

On topic, yes that is a great site.

It's way more interesting that D1 and S1 imo. I could also just ask my physics teacher if I need help with anything.

Hegartymaths (Edexcel) is quite good too, just putting that out there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending