The Student Room Group

Engineering officer RAF medical

Hi,

There seem to be some pretty knowledgable people on here so I'm hopeful of getting some good advice. I am due to have my interview for engineer officer in 2 weeks. I was looking forward to the experience. Then today I received a letter saying I was excluded due to medical history. I had asthma as a child, not had an inhaler for over 10yrs. I had read through the notes re application criteria in detail and did not think this would be an issue. I fully intend to appeal and was wondering if anyone had any advice or words of wisdom for me, is appealing ever successful, should the asthma have excluded me, etc. Feeling like I've been kicked in the gut.

Thanks
Original post by Weev95
Hi,

There seem to be some pretty knowledgable people on here so I'm hopeful of getting some good advice. I am due to have my interview for engineer officer in 2 weeks. I was looking forward to the experience. Then today I received a letter saying I was excluded due to medical history. I had asthma as a child, not had an inhaler for over 10yrs. I had read through the notes re application criteria in detail and did not think this would be an issue. I fully intend to appeal and was wondering if anyone had any advice or words of wisdom for me, is appealing ever successful, should the asthma have excluded me, etc. Feeling like I've been kicked in the gut.

Thanks

I only thought asthma history was an issue for aircrew, and any other branch/trade just needed to have been symptom/inhaler/prescription free for 5 years. Have you searched the forum for other asthma related threads? And looked on the RAF website at the medical exemptions? It may be worth contacting the OASC med pers to ask the question if you can find contact details.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to be symptom free for 5 years.
Have no episodes of asthma after the age of 16.
Never be hospitalised due to asthma.

Any of these apply to you?
Original post by Anderson134353

Also all of your recorded peak flow tests need to over a certain range in your age gap.
Reply 4

None of them, very mysterious. Everyone else thst was at the initial presentation with me was going for pilot, and I can clearly see that would exclude them.
Original post by Weev95
None of them, very mysterious. Everyone else thst was at the initial presentation with me was going for pilot, and I can clearly see that would exclude them.

Contact your AFCO tomorrow and explain your situation. There may have been a mix up somewhere in that case.
Reply 6
Also all of your recorded peak flow tests need to over a certain range in your age gap.

Peak flow tests as a child? Ok, not sure about that. It seems like such a dim and distant past. Would they already have got all that from my medical records? I wish they'd given me more detail on why I failed.

Anyway, rolling up selves and getting in with calling and initiating appeal procedure. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by teasin_tina
I only thought asthma history was an issue for aircrew, and any other branch/trade just needed to have been symptom/inhaler/prescription free for 5 years. Have you searched the forum for other asthma related threads? And looked on the RAF website at the medical exemptions? It may be worth contacting the OASC med pers to ask the question if you can find contact details.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Searched all threads and looked online, can't see anything that states childhood asthma would excluded me from this role. I'll call AFCO in the morning, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest