The Student Room Group

Requirements to get into Uni as a Mature Student?

I'm almost 25 now and I'm just looking to go to uni now.
During my school years I didn't do well because of the students and teachers. I'm a Muslim and I was the only Muslim in the whole school, there were also only 3 other Asian kids in the whole year and most of the time we were outcasts. So I had to deal with lots of racism during that period from both students and teachers which is why I hated school.
Also the one course I wanted to do back then was IT but our school only had a few computers that were running windows 95 and they scrapped IT altogether after year 9.

Been in a few jobs but I've learned that I won't get any further unless I have a degree. I really want to do computing and IT but I don't have any notable grades. English and Maths GCSE I got a D and 1 C in A2 Graphics.
But over the years I've self taught myself a few programs, I learned how to design websites, I've built PC's for myself and other people, currently learning how to code in Python.
I also used to work in a video game company as a tester for a while and learned a few things from there.
Right now I've had to take over my family restaurant and I have been running it for 2 years so I've gained some valuable business knowledge and I even built my own POS system for the business. So I'm hoping this will show Uni's that I want to study.

I want to go to the closest uni to me which happens to be Surrey but I know their one of the top universities so I'm not too sure if I would get in. I'm going to an Open day to find out.

I've heard mixed answers on this, some say as a mature student you get looked upon more than a student because of your experience.
Can anyone shed some light on this, how did you get accepted into uni as a mature student, what kind of things are they looking for etc.
Hi. I doubt whether you'll get into Surrey without A levels, including maths at grade B or higher. They don't accept Access for computer science degrees (Access is the main route into university for mature students). There are other universities which are more open to mature students though: some of the London colleges, Royal Holloway and Portsmouth are more open-minded.

It's likely that you will need to retake English and maths GCSEs wherever you decide to apply. You should be aiming for at least a grade B in maths for anything IT related. Your previous experience will help your application, but in all likelihood, universities will want you to do a level 3 course, such as Access or A levels. Take a look at the entry requirements on their websites, or better, email them and ask their advice on what you need to do next.
Reply 2
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Hi. I doubt whether you'll get into Surrey without A levels, including maths at grade B or higher. They don't accept Access for computer science degrees (Access is the main route into university for mature students). There are other universities which are more open to mature students though: some of the London colleges, Royal Holloway and Portsmouth are more open-minded.

It's likely that you will need to retake English and maths GCSEs wherever you decide to apply. You should be aiming for at least a grade B in maths for anything IT related. Your previous experience will help your application, but in all likelihood, universities will want you to do a level 3 course, such as Access or A levels. Take a look at the entry requirements on their websites, or better, email them and ask their advice on what you need to do next.

Everything said here really. Some universities look favourably upon the relevant experience of a mature student, but they still don't waive entry requirement qualifications. You will need to do a pre entry course or two to get onto a degree course. There are a few universities that provide a course which leads on to degree level study if that would be more motivational for you. See if any of your local universities do.
Reply 3
Maths and English GCSEs at grade C or above are pretty much mandatory for all applications these days, regardless of age.

Apart from that, entry requirements for mature students are decided on a case-by-case basis, depending on your circumstances, the uni and the course. Your only way to know what the uni would need, is to contact their Admissions Office and ask.

Whilst A Levels aren't mandatory for mature applicants and professional experience can be taken into account, most unis will want to see evidence of recent successful study. These days, that will usually be a one year Access to Higher Education course, taken at a college. If your preferred uni specifies an Access qualification, ask them what sort - Access courses come in different subject areas and you need to make sure you're doing the right one for your target course.

In your shoes, I'd contact Surrey and ask. You have nothing at all to lose and you should get vital info from them.
Reply 4
Yeah I didn't think I would get in Surrey TBH but when I go on the open day i'll ask them
Another thing I was thinking about was the OU but i'm not too sure about the whole independent learning style, I work more efficient with other people. I just wanted to go to Surrey because it's really close to me and I could just drive in.
I didn't know about this access course so i'll give that a read
Thanks
Original post by MrBigMoney
Another thing I was thinking about was the OU but i'm not too sure about the whole independent learning style, I work more efficient with other people. I just wanted to go to Surrey because it's really close to me and I could just drive in

Worth you looking into OU, if for no other reason than to eliminate it as a possibility (should be cheaper than going to a bricks 'n' mortar uni). I tend to think in general that OU is the poorer option, but then for what you want to do I wonder if the advantages of going to a 'real' uni are really that important (I get the impression the social aspects of uni aren't a priority for you). However, if you feel you work better with others, then perhaps it would be your best option. Anyway, best of luck.
Reply 6
Original post by MrBigMoney
I just wanted to go to Surrey because it's really close to me and I could just drive in.

Have you checked whether you'd actually be eligible for a uni parking permit?

In common with many unis, parking is heavily restricted around the Surrey campus. Even if you can get one, the parking permit system is oversubscribed so you'll never be guaranteed a parking space. If you live close to the uni, you may be expected to use public transport and be automatically disqualified from parking there.

If that aspect is critical to your application I'd advise checking the small print now, if you haven't already done so:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/currentstudents/campus/transport/parking/eligibility/
Reply 7
Did not know that about the parking, I fall under the GU1 range. My sister used to go there and she managed to get a space but that was about 7 years ago. There's always a direct train from where I live but mornings will be packed.
I think OU will be my second option, they don't have grade requirements but learning on my own will be tough, especially computing and IT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending