The Student Room Group

Net production of ATP from one glucose?

I understand that in total we get:
2x FADH2
10x NADH2
4x ATP

But i don't understand how the overall net gain of ATP is 38?
Reply 1
Original post by Ismail786
I understand that in total we get:
2x FADH2
10x NADH2
4x ATP

But i don't understand how the overall net gain of ATP is 38?

In aerobic respiration, to obtain ATP from a glucose molecule there are 4 stages as you are probably aware. In glycolysis(stage 1) there is a net gain of 2 ATP as 2 are used and 4 are made so 4-2 =2 , also 2 NADH are mad. in the link no atp is made but we produce 2 NADH. In krebbs per glucose molecule we make 2 ATP (so now we have 4) and then we make 6 NADH and 2FADH so as you said there are 10 NADH and 2 FADH also we have 4 ATP. What happens is that in the ETC the NADH and FADH lose their protons and electrons, tge electrons power the pumps. NAD can power 3 proton pumps. FAD can power 2. Therefore NAD can lead to a greater no of ATP molecules being produced. So 3 x 10( 10 nadh 3 proton pumps) = 30 2 x 2 = 4(2 FADH 2 proton pumps) + 4ATP (previous stages) = 38...
If that sounds messy then think that 38 - 4 = 34. The 34 come from NADH & FADH. 10 x ? + 2 x ? = 34. Try not to be complicated. There are no decimal places. It's simply 10 x 3 + 2 x 2 = 34 and then add the 4 from before and you have 38. If this is still confusing i'd reccomend watching a youtube video or asking a tutor
Reply 2
Thanks so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending