The Student Room Group

Nervous About Joining School's Rugby Club

I started playing rugby at my local club at the beginning of august but absoloutely hated it so stopped going. I have spoken to a teacher at school who suggested that I join another club which she knows is good and to join the school rugby team, however I am a year above all the other girls and know nobody. I am so nervous and feel really sick, I know that when I am there I don't have to do anything, i can just sit there or go elsewhere for a while but I feel like the problem will be getting changed after school.
It sounds absurd but it's awkward, I feel like maybe Rugby is the wrong decision because ot should not stress me out the way it does.

Don't know what to do?
Reply 1
I have no idea about rugby specifically, but if you like rugby as a sport (even if you didn't like the particular club you started going to), it's worth a try joining it at least. :smile:

What did you hate about your local club? The teacher at your school sounds like she's pretty helpful, I reckon her advice is good.

If you do, try to give it a few sessions before you really make up your mind about it. It can be awkward joining a new club where you don't know anyone at first, but if it's a good club then you'll settle in quickly, you'll get used to getting changed there and you'll get to know people, and it will become less awkward very quickly. And don't worry about not knowing anybody - I know it's really scary (like, I actually got my mum to come with me to the door the first time I joined kickboxing, and I was 19!), but they're just there to play rugby too, and almost certainly to have fun, so the likelihood is that they'll be happy to welcome you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest