The Student Room Group

Help me choose my a levels?!

Hiya,
I'm currently in year 11 and there are quite a few A Levels I'm considering, but I just keep changing my mind. I've already got an A* in core science and I'm studying additional maths this year as maths is one of my best subjects. I'm definitely more of an A than an A* student though.
Anyway, I don't know which 3/4 to pick from Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Photography, and Economics. Photography might seem a bit random but I think I would enjoy it and it would be a nice break from lessons.
I'm planning on going to uni to study a science based course such as dietetics... So what are the best A Levels for me to choose? Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by cphils
Hiya,
I'm currently in year 11 and there are quite a few A Levels I'm considering, but I just keep changing my mind. I've already got an A* in core science and I'm studying additional maths this year as maths is one of my best subjects. I'm definitely more of an A than an A* student though.
Anyway, I don't know which 3/4 to pick from Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Photography, and Economics. Photography might seem a bit random but I think I would enjoy it and it would be a nice break from lessons.
I'm planning on going to uni to study a science based course such as dietetics... So what are the best A Levels for me to choose? Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help :smile:

If I were you I wouldn't take economics. Yes a lot say that it's an easy A-Level but it kinda has nothing to do with sciences. Plus you can always learn these outside school since it's quite easy to get to know econ stuff even if you're not studying it to A-Level. But sciences aren't stuff that you can just work in a company and learn. It's a lot of built-up knowledge. Get what I mean?

Photography is a bit random, maybe you could do it in your free time? Maybe it could even count as a Skill, that is, if you're doing Gold DofE.

Maths is VERY important. Personally I feel like you shouldn't take any science subject without taking maths because having a solid foundation in mathematics just makes everything so much easier. Plus it's not really that hard.

Hope that helps x :smile:
Original post by cphils
Hiya,

For context, I plan to apply for medicine and I currently do chemistry, biology and maths at A2 and did economics to AS. I really enjoy(ed) all four subjects (most of the time) and would recommend them. From what I have observed though, having a natural affinity for maths (and biology and chemistry, but to a lesser extent) really helps. But if you put the work in you will get there.

In my opinion, pick the ones you enjoy. However, if you plan to study a science-based course, it would be wise to choose 2-3 sciences A levels. I would also recommend you do 3 full A levels and 1 AS.

If you decide not to do photography you could always do it in your spare time. My college have compulsory "enrichment" time and a few of my friends did photography.

Quick Reply

Latest