The Student Room Group

Is a PGCE the only option?

I am looking at going into a career in secondary teaching and am wondering if doing a degree and then a PGCE is the only way or is there another degree i could do?
There are lots of routes into teaching. If you type 'UCAS teacher training' into google and click 'find a training programme' on the first link, you can take a quiz which takes into account what type of course and what you want to get out of your teacher training. It's pretty useful. Good luck! x
1. PGCE - a postgraduate certificate you do at a university after a bachelor's degree.
2. PGDE - same as above, but a diploma and the possibility of upgrading it to a Master of Teaching with a dissertation.
3. BEd - a four-year bachelor's degree which gives you the qualification right away.
4. Teach First - a programme for graduates with good results to work right away, often in challenging schools. You get a PGCE in the end.
5. School Direct - a programme for graduates to work right away and be trained by the school. State schools only. You get a PGCE in the end.
6. HMC Teacher Training - same as above but for private schools. PGCE from University of Buckingham.
7. Get a job from a non-state school with or without any qualification.
8. Be trained overseas.
Reply 3
Original post by tal_doherty
There are lots of routes into teaching. If you type 'UCAS teacher training' into google and click 'find a training programme' on the first link, you can take a quiz which takes into account what type of course and what you want to get out of your teacher training. It's pretty useful. Good luck! x

Thank you i will do this now :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Little Toy Gun
1. PGCE - a postgraduate certificate you do at a university after a bachelor's degree.
2. PGDE - same as above, but a diploma and the possibility of upgrading it to a Master of Teaching with a dissertation.
3. BEd - a four-year bachelor's degree which gives you the qualification right away.
4. Teach First - a programme for graduates with good results to work right away, often in challenging schools. You get a PGCE in the end.
5. School Direct - a programme for graduates to work right away and be trained by the school. State schools only. You get a PGCE in the end.
6. HMC Teacher Training - same as above but for private schools. PGCE from University of Buckingham.
8. Be trained overseas.

8. Be trained overseas.
Reply 5
A SCITT course does not leave you with a PGCE qualification - this is one of the large differences
Reply 6
8. Be trained overseas.

9. Gain QTS through the assessment-only route (NB for teachers with a minimum of two years' experience).

ocunion
A SCITT course does not leave you with a PGCE qualification - this is one of the large differences

This doesn't matter, though. QTS is the important bit, and I'm fairly sure SCITT gives you that.
Original post by Angelil
9. Gain QTS through the assessment-only route (NB for teachers with a minimum of two years' experience).

You'd already be having a career though after two years and two schools.
Yes there are many options but call ucas and explain degree and experience and they should advise you on your best route.
I do believe that if you have not had at least 3 years in a school then pgce is the route you'll need to take or teach first but your degree would need to be a first I believe.
I am doing schools direct but that is because of years in a school working. Pgce will be more uni based whereas I am more school based. Best of luck.
Original post by rosie10210
Thank you i will do this now :smile:

You're welcome :smile: x
Original post by nickychargreaves
Yes there are many options but call ucas and explain degree and experience and they should advise you on your best route.
I do believe that if you have not had at least 3 years in a school then pgce is the route you'll need to take or teach first but your degree would need to be a first I believe.
I am doing schools direct but that is because of years in a school working. Pgce will be more uni based whereas I am more school based. Best of luck.

Teach First is considered the best route by many with no experience because of supposedly quicker progression.

HMC Teacher Training and School Direct both give you money, and you can even go for the bursary option and live well if you have a first/PhD and teach certain subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending