The Student Room Group

Uni Application - Cambridge

Hi,
I am not usually one to discuss things online but I think it may be worthwhile and would appreciate some advice.
I am in Year 13 and have recently received my results. Our school encourages us to have one choice which is 'aspirational', one which we may not get offered for but it's worth a try. I don't know if it's worth me applying for Cambridge. I doubt I'd get in but I think it's better to try and fail than fail to try, and it's only one of the five choices. The reason I doubt is because I haven't achieved very high UMS points in the modules, most being between 70-85%. I have achieved an A-level already and was one mark off an A*, so that may be something good. I am wanting to study Modern Languages.
One of the subjects I didn't do so well in was due to anxiety, so I don't know if this counts as a circumstance.
Do you think it's worth applying for or would it be a waste of time? Please speak the truth!

I'd appreciate your advice.
Many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
you may be better off applying to oxford
Original post by JoshuaDenny
Hi,
I am not usually one to discuss things online but I think it may be worthwhile and would appreciate some advice.
I am in Year 13 and have recently received my results. Our school encourages us to have one choice which is 'aspirational', one which we may not get offered for but it's worth a try. I don't know if it's worth me applying for Cambridge. I doubt I'd get in but I think it's better to try and fail than fail to try, and it's only one of the five choices. The reason I doubt is because I haven't achieved very high UMS points in the modules, most being between 70-85%. I have achieved an A-level already and was one mark off an A*, so that may be something good. I am wanting to study Modern Languages.
One of the subjects I didn't do so well in was due to anxiety, so I don't know if this counts as a circumstance.
Do you think it's worth applying for or would it be a waste of time? Please speak the truth!

I'd appreciate your advice.
Many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your overall UMS average (for your top 3 subjects)? What were your AS results and GCSE grades?

You haven't really given us much to go on...
You are better off looking at Oxford if you are interested in Oxbridge ( assuming you are)
realistically your chances are pretty slim unless your school is very poor and has never sent anyone to Cambridge.. However MFL aren't the most popular of subjects so you probably won't have too much of a problem getting offers elsewhere. Therefore you can afford one with faint hope.

If you were my child I'd say dont waste time on it unless you have a lot of beyond the syllabus things to show enthusiasm for the subject.
Reply 5
Hi. Thank you for your response.

My average would only be 81% for my 3 chosen subjects in terms of UMS.

I got an A in RS (1 mark off A*), A in History, B in German and C in French. I will be continuing with French next year, as finished an A level and normally get A's in French..
My GCSE's weren't as good too so that's why I have also been doubting it a bit.. I got 6 A's, 2 B's and 2 C's.

Thanks for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an A in RS (1 mark off A*), A in History, B in German and C in French. I will be continuing with French next year, as finished an A level and normally get A's in French..
My GCSE's weren't as good too so that's why I have also been doubting it a bit.. I got 6 A's, 2 B's and 2 C's.

Thanks for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You got a C in French and want to do MFL?

Ngl, chances aren't great. If you think you'll get better results in A2, take a gap year and reapply. Also the interview is done in the foreign language; is this something you'd be comfortable with?

Thanks for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No point applying to Cambridge or Oxford as things stand, imo. Sorry.

Thanks for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

None of us have anything to lose in my opinion! I'm also applying for languages this year and I think if you feel like you want to apply, just go for it!

However, I'd agree with everyone else in saying that you might be better off applying for Oxford! You'd have a chance in proving your languages abilities with the MLAT and also if your predicted grades are good you'd have a good chance. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by jeevanr21
None of us have anything to lose in my opinion! I'm also applying for languages this year and I think if you feel like you want to apply, just go for it!

However, I'd agree with everyone else in saying that you might be better off applying for Oxford! You'd have a chance in proving your languages abilities with the MLAT and also if your predicted grades are good you'd have a good chance. Hope that helps :smile:

Unless they did brilliantly in the entrance exam Oxford wouldn't even interview as they place a lot of reliance on GCSE grades.
Reply 10
Original post by parentlurker
Unless they did brilliantly in the entrance exam Oxford wouldn't even interview as they place a lot of reliance on GCSE grades.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, hopefully I will do well in the entrance exams. However, it says on the website that they don't just look at GCSE grades, but it's good if the majority of grades are A/A*.
Reply 11
Original post by jeevanr21

Hi, thank you for your help. Good luck with applying too. Where are you looking at to apply? My predicted grades are AAB and I have an A from A2 RS already, so hopefully that's okay. Also, I may apply for Oxford now, because the entry requirements are slightly lower.

Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by ILovePancakes
You got a C in French and want to do MFL?

Ngl, chances aren't great. If you think you'll get better results in A2, take a gap year and reapply. Also the interview is done in the foreign language; is this something you'd be comfortable with?

Hi. Yes, I got a C, which was mainly due to the extenuating circumstances (anxiety). I think I may apply for German by itself now, as I am better on paper with that language. Yes, I think I would be comfortable to speak in another language in the interview, as its a bit like the speaking exam.

Thanks for your help.
Hi. Yes, I got a C, which was mainly due to the extenuating circumstances (anxiety). I think I may apply for German by itself now, as I am better on paper with that language. Yes, I think I would be comfortable to speak in another language in the interview, as its a bit like the speaking exam.

Thanks for your help.

Lol it isn't like a speaking exam; you have to analyse text as you would in English lit.. my friend had an MFL interview with Emmanuel last year.

Quick Reply