The Student Room Group

Confusion over empty sets

The following question is very confusing to me.

I can't decide if the set {}\{ \emptyset \} has no elements or one element! Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction to working this out? I'm sure the answers to (iii) and (iv) will become clear once I understand (ii). Thank you in advance!
Original post by foorganders
The following question is very confusing to me.

I can't decide if the set {}\{ \emptyset \} has no elements or one element! Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction to working this out? I'm sure the answers to (iii) and (iv) will become clear once I understand (ii). Thank you in advance!

Well, what is the difference between A={}A=\{\} and B={}B=\{\emptyset\}?

What kind of thing is the \emptyset that seems to be living in BB?
Reply 2
Original post by atsruser
Well, what is the difference between A={}A=\{\} and B={}B=\{\emptyset\}?

What kind of thing is the \emptyset that seems to be living in BB?

So it has one element, even though that element is the empty set? And would (iii) and (iv) both have two elements?
So it has one element, even though that element is the empty set?

Yes.

And would (iii) and (iv) both have two elements?

(iii) clearly has two elements.

However, for (iv), multiplicity doesn't count, there is only one element there, even though it's been written twice.

Note, the following two sets are equal: {a} and {a,a,a,a,a,a}. Every element of the first set is in the second, and every element of the second set is in the first.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
Yes.

(iii) clearly has two elements.

However, for (iv), multiplicity doesn't count, there is only one element there, even though it's been written twice.

Note, the following two sets are equal {a} and {a,a,a,a,a,a}. Every element of the first set is in the second, and every element of the second set is in the first.

Ah ok, thank you for the clarification. So would the set {{},{},{}} \{ \{ \emptyset \}, \{ \emptyset \}, \{ \emptyset \} \} have three elements? Or one? And if it is one, then how would you go about constructing a similar set, but with three elements?
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah ok, thank you for the clarification. So would the set {{},{},{}} \{ \{ \emptyset \}, \{ \emptyset \}, \{ \emptyset \} \} have three elements? Or one?

There is only one distinct element there. So, one.

And if it is one, then how would you go about constructing a similar set, but with three elements?

Sorry, you'll have to clarify that. How can it be similar and have three elements?
Reply 6
Original post by ghostwalker
There is only one distinct element there. So, one.

Sorry, you'll have to clarify that. How can it be similar and have three elements?

Thinking about it, I'm not entirely sure what I mean either! Thank you for the help regardless.
Reply 7
Thinking about it, I'm not entirely sure what I mean either! Thank you for the help regardless.

I suppose you could have a set {,{},{{}}}\displaystyle \{ \emptyset, \{\emptyset\}, \{\{\emptyset\}\}\} which has three elements. :smile:
Ah ok, thank you for the clarification. So would the set {{},{},{}} \{ \{ \emptyset \}, \{ \emptyset \}, \{ \emptyset \} \} have three elements? Or one?

As others have already pointed out, the answer is that there is only one element. If you want to consider this object as containing three elements, then you might look at the idea of a multiset.

Quick Reply

Latest