The Student Room Group

Why do left-wing institutions/people hate traditional British values so much?

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Traditional British values are backwards.
Where is your post?
Reply 3
Simple, they want to destroy the Christian foundation of this country.
Reply 4
Original post by Bill_Gates
Traditional British values are backwards.

Id rather be classed 'backwards' than degenerate.
I'm not really sure what values in particular you're talking about. I don't have any problems with harmless traditions but if reason tells us that we're better off stopping a particular tradition, I wouldn't agree with continuing with it for the sake of upholding tradition - values relevant to the modern world and common sense needs to come before tradition.
Original post by saeed97
Simple, they want to destroy the Christian foundation of this country.

Christianity preaches tolerance.
Reply 7
Original post by United1892
Christianity preaches tolerance.

Huh?
Original post by saeed97
Huh?

The complaints against the left attacking christian values are almost always against tolerant views. It's even used as an excuse to kick out muslims.
Reply 9
Original post by United1892
The complaints against the left the christian values are almost always against tolerant views. It's even used as an excuse to kick out muslims.

And that is why the extreme leftys need to be supressed. If the christian values of this country goes then so does the social integrity of this country.
They don't value anything - all they want is 'change.' Any change will do. They loathe individualism; an individual is the antithesis of everything they believe in, he or she doesn't fit within the confines of their categories or labels. Women, men, heterosexual, homosexual, oppressed, privileged, black, white - everyone is labelled, everything is something less than an individual and inevitably, when they manufacture an identity on everyone else's behalf, they become the very personification of the very prejudice they claim to oppose.

One is a perpetrator, the other is a victim. There are no varying degrees in-between. Target what you perceive to be the most settled 'identity', then tear it apart from within. Inevitably, it will lead to the destruction of what you loathe most - conservatism. Of course, ironically, Cameron is a Trotskyist too, he spent his entire speech today appealing to ambiguity and manufactured identities: black, women, gay. Who are these people? No-one knows. They are both arbitrary in the context of opportunity and everything in the context of vote share. What's certain, however, is that they aren't anyone; they are merely manufactured identities. There is no such thing as 'women' as a collective group.

Who stands to profit from all this division? Politicians (votes), the higher education sector (research funding for their 'oppressed groups'), the charity sector (funding), the MSM (division fuels traffic which fuels ad spend), corporations (cheap labour)...take your pick.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not ... that... left-wing, but probably because tradition is not exactly a solid ground for holding a value.
I regard myself as left-wing and I'm not against whatever a "Traditional British value" is...unless those values include austerity, unjustness, balancing the books on the backs off the poor etc etc...

Please tell me what exactly you mean and as a left-winger I'll clarify for you what problems (if any) I have.
Define traditional British values?
Original post by Inexorably
I'm not ... that... left-wing, but probably because tradition is not exactly a solid ground for holding a value.

Is it a solid ground for opposing a value? It reads like change for the sake of change. Does all change result in a positive outcome?
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Is it a solid ground for opposing a value? It reads like change for the sake of change. Does all change result in a positive outcome?

It can work either way IMO :tongue: I think it's merely a case of looking at so called values and deciding if continuing it because it's just tradition is the ''right'' thing to do or not.
I'm so conservative with the NHS is it unreal. And BBC.

Why do the right hate these proud British institutions so much?
Original post by Inexorably
It can work either way IMO :tongue: I think it's merely a case of looking at so called values and deciding if continuing it because it's just tradition is the ''right'' thing to do or not.

Every generation believes it knows best. Every generation falls flat on its ass and realises, inevitably, human nature is still characterised best by a state of nature, with self-interest being the only reliable human trait.

The strange thing about this generation is that rather than rebelling against authority, it seems to embrace conformity. I can only imagine that has something to down with the elevation of 'femininity' to that of a national religion.
I've fixed this for you.

Original post by XcitingStuart

Things should be determined by my inevitably incorrect perception of how it affects the stereotyped parties involved, not by what tradition tells us to (do.)
There are good traditional things, and there's bad traditional things, and little consistency.

I'd first correct "Why do left-wing institutions/people hate traditional British values that negatively affect them so much?"

Because silly, the traditionalness of values shouldn't determine whether the values should be held/the views should be in practice.
It's like appealing to nature, only appealing to what is traditional.

Things should be determined by how it affects the parties involved, not by what tradition tells us to (do.)
There are good traditional things, and there's bad traditional things, and little consistency.

Okay I think you (and everyone else) will get it; I've reiterated my points like 5 times in this post. :tongue:
(4 to be more precise.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending