The Student Room Group

Chances of UCL Masters for Economics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madnuts
Received my offer for MSc Economics at UCL two days ago :biggrin:

Wow - congratualtions!

Out of interest, when did you send off your application? Is it unconditional?
Reply 21
Original post by EconomistJack
Wow - congratualtions!

Out of interest, when did you send off your application? Is it unconditional?

Thank you! I submitted my application on 18th October 2015 with references outstanding, and my application was finally complete on 1st November 2015. They got back to me in just a little more than a week.

It's a conditional offer. I need to provide 'documentary evidence' for my academic qualifications along with 'acceptable evidence' of having succesfully taken an English proficiency exam. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by madnuts
Thank you! I submitted my application on 18th October 2015 with references outstanding, and my application was finally complete on 1st November 2015. They got back to me in just a little more than a week.

It's a conditional offer. I need to provide 'documentary evidence' for my academic qualifications along with 'acceptable evidence' of having succesfully taken an English proficiency exam. :smile:

What is your background?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madnuts
Aiming for a PhD :smile: Received my offer for MSc Economics at UCL two days ago :biggrin:

Hi,

Congts!! I'm applying to the MSc programme as well. How important is the personal statement, do you think?

Any general tips?
Original post by madnuts
I submitted my application on 18th October 2015 with references outstanding, and my application was finally complete on 1st November 2015. They got back to me in just a little more than a week.

That is unbelievably fast! My application was complete a couple of days ago, do you think it will take a similar length of time?
Reply 25
Original post by EconomistJack
That is unbelievably fast! My application was complete a couple of days ago, do you think it will take a similar length of time?

I'm sorry, I don't think I got a notification for your reply :/ Did they get back to you?
Reply 26
Original post by Flint_09
Hi,

Congts!! I'm applying to the MSc programme as well. How important is the personal statement, do you think?

Any general tips?

Hi there! Your statement of purpose is definitely a key component of your application. And it's different from a personal statement in the sense that it's more serious and academic. If you check out UCL's MSc Economics page, you'll see a set of guidelines on what they expect you to write. Make sure you address every point. They are actually quite helpful in providing you with a structure for your essay :smile:
HI
congratulations on your offer. I have also received an offer from UCL for MSc Economics. But I have not yet accepted it as i intend on waiting for a reply from LSE. So did you apply to LSE ? and have they responded ? I am profile is quite similar to yours, I am also from India with 73.2% in economics undergrad and 323 (167 - Q and 156 - V). so do you think i should wait for LSE or should I accept the offer. What do you suggest?

Original post by madnuts
Aiming for a PhD :smile: Received my offer for MSc Economics at UCL two days ago :biggrin:
Reply 28
Hi! So great to bump into someone with a similar background :biggrin: Even I am hoping to get a response from LSE. But I have already accepted the offer as UCL does not charge a deposit. I guess you should do that too since LSE's first decisions would not be disclosed until Jan 2016.

Btw since when has your application to LSE has been under consideration? And did you apply to Warwick as well?
Reply 29
Original post by Rolly Kapoor
HI
congratulations on your offer. I have also received an offer from UCL for MSc Economics. But I have not yet accepted it as i intend on waiting for a reply from LSE. So did you apply to LSE ? and have they responded ? I am profile is quite similar to yours, I am also from India with 73.2% in economics undergrad and 323 (167 - Q and 156 - V). so do you think i should wait for LSE or should I accept the offer. What do you suggest?

Hi! So great to bump into someone with a similar background Even I am hoping to get a response from LSE. But I have already accepted the offer as UCL does not charge a deposit. I guess you should do that too since LSE's first decisions would not be disclosed until Jan 2016.

Btw since when has your application to LSE has been under consideration? And did you apply to Warwick as well?
Original post by madnuts
Hi! So great to bump into someone with a similar background Even I am hoping to get a response from LSE. But I have already accepted the offer as UCL does not charge a deposit. I guess you should do that too since LSE's first decisions would not be disclosed until Jan 2016.

Hi
my application for LSE was complete by 10th december (got late because of the references ). so i have not yet received the unique ID.
And yes, I have applied to warwick as well (both the programs - Msc economics and economics and international financial economics). And, i have received offers for both the programs. But, my mentor (who is an economist) suggested that UCL is much better than warwick, so i guess i will be going for UCL in case LSE does not place an offer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Hi
my application for LSE was complete by 10th december (got late because of the references ). so i have not yet received the unique ID.
And yes, I have applied to warwick as well (both the programs - Msc economics and economics and international financial economics). And, i have received offers for both the programs. But, my mentor (who is an economist) suggested that UCL is much better than warwick, so i guess i will be going for UCL in case LSE does not place an offer.

Wow, congratulations! It has been 7 weeks since my application at Warwick was under consideration and I haven't had a response yet. Although even I would be choosing UCL in case I am rejected by LSE.
Reply 32
Oh, btw please let me know how much time did Warwick take to get back to you with their decision? Thanks! :smile:

Hi
My application for warwick was complete by 20nov and i received an offer on 15 december (almost a month).

Also, do you think it would be easy to withdraw an application from ucl after accepting an offer. and do you know when the fees for UCL has to be submitted.
also, FYI my application status for warwick was application with department. i don't know whether this means smth or not!
Original post by madnuts
Oh, btw please let me know how much time did Warwick take to get back to you with their decision? Thanks! :smile:
Reply 35
My application for warwick was complete by 20nov and i received an offer on 15 december (almost a month).

Also, do you think it would be easy to withdraw an application from ucl after accepting an offer. and do you know when the fees for UCL has to be submitted.

I think paying the tuition fee comes much later, and by that time we would definitely be clear on which university we would be going to. It would be a good idea to accept your offer for UCL as soon as you can. By accepting it, you're not committing yourself to paying the tuition fee, and you don't even have to pay a deposit to secure your place. It just helps them with the admission process I believe, to get an estimate of how many students would be joining the programme.

To withdraw your offer, you can just e-mail the Postgraduate Admissions Team. I have been writing to them quite frequently to supply the documents they requested and they are very prompt and helpful with their replies.
Reply 36
also, FYI my application status for warwick was application with department. i don't know whether this means smth or not!

I didn't get you... Is your status still 'Application with Department?' If yes, how did you get to know you have been made an offer? Did you call them up?
Original post by madnuts
I didn't get you... Is your status still 'Application with Department?' If yes, how did you get to know you have been made an offer? Did you call them up?

No, what i meant was before the offer was placed the status was 'application with the department'. The status has now changed to decision posted.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by madnuts
I think paying the tuition fee comes much later, and by that time we would definitely be clear on which university we would be going to. It would be a good idea to accept your offer for UCL as soon as you can. By accepting it, you're not committing yourself to paying the tuition fee, and you don't even have to pay a deposit to secure your place. It just helps them with the admission process I believe, to get an estimate of how many students would be joining the programme.

To withdraw your offer, you can just e-mail the Postgraduate Admissions Team. I have been writing to them quite frequently to supply the documents they requested and they are very prompt and helpful with their replies.

So have they provided you with any information regarding the fees or any other procedure that has to be followed, once we have accepted the offer?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
So have they provided you with any information regarding the fees or any other procedure that has to be followed, once we have accepted the offer?

Not yet, and that's probably because my offer is conditional. They asked for my degree certificate which I sent a few weeks ago. I am now waiting for my IELTS score to be reported. Once the offer becomes unconditional hopefully I shall hear from them.

Is your offer unconditional already?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending