The Student Room Group

Denied overseas interview - what now?

So I'm a bit sad right now, because I just received this email from the people at Singapore (I applied from India):

A shortlist has now been drawn up of applicants for interview in Singapore. There are more strong applicants this year than it is possible for the interview panel to see in the limited time that is available. As a consequence I regret to have to tell you that you have not been included in the local interview shortlist. We are indeed very sorry to have to tell you this; however your application will continue to be considered by the Cambridge Colleges on the basis of your CAPO and UCAS applications and all other material on your file. Final decisions will be notified to all applicants by the end of January.

Does this really mean that there were not enough places for interview in Singapore, or are these nice words for "you're not good enough, buh-bye"?

Is there anyone here that was denied an overseas interview but went on to get an offer (possibly after an interview at Cambridge)?

Scroll to see replies

Oh, I have a feeling it's probably because of the very amount of EXTREMELY highly-qualified people who're Singapore locals (they're famous for high achievement), so the interview shortlist for their country fills up quite fast. I'm not actually sure what that means, however - maybe they'll call you to interview at Cambridge if you're eligible then?
Original post by Jayd Shah
Oh, I have a feeling it's probably because of the very amount of EXTREMELY highly-qualified people who're Singapore locals (they're famous for high achievement), so the interview shortlist for their country fills up quite fast. I'm not actually sure what that means, however - maybe they'll call you to interview at Cambridge if you're eligible then?

I hope it means that I'll still be considered with all the applicants who want to be interviewed at Cambridge itself.
Reply 3
Original post by TehGloriousPanda
I hope it means that I'll still be considered with all the applicants who want to be interviewed at Cambridge itself.

Maybe ask the CAT in his thread if Singaporean applicants can still be interviewed at Cambridge if they miss out on the local one.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3619547
The letter probably means exactly what it says. Keep the process going, as they advise. Then, if asked to interview at Cam, I hope your family can afford to send you.
Reply 5
So I'm a bit sad right now, because I just received this email from the people at Singapore (I applied from India):

A shortlist has now been drawn up of applicants for interview in Singapore. There are more strong applicants this year than it is possible for the interview panel to see in the limited time that is available. As a consequence I regret to have to tell you that you have not been included in the local interview shortlist. We are indeed very sorry to have to tell you this; however your application will continue to be considered by the Cambridge Colleges on the basis of your CAPO and UCAS applications and all other material on your file. Final decisions will be notified to all applicants by the end of January.

Does this really mean that there were not enough places for interview in Singapore, or are these nice words for "you're not good enough, buh-bye"?

Is there anyone here that was denied an overseas interview but went on to get an offer (possibly after an interview at Cambridge)?

What are you applying for and what are your exam marks so far?
Reply 6
I got rejected too. Sad life me.

I'm now depending on LSE. I got so hyped ytd I withdrew my Camb application thinking I can opt for Oxford. UCAS then notified me I can't do that, since I've passed that 2 weeks period.

The only reason Cambridge rejected me, is because of my diversified course selection and PS.

But I think you've just got to accept and move on! Or take a gap year try again next year!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7

Original post by alcibiade
The letter probably means exactly what it says. Keep the process going, as they advise. Then, if asked to interview at Cam, I hope your family can afford to send you.

Original post by Colmans

The CAT replied to OP in his thread so I'm quoting him here for completeness :wink:

Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello and I am sorry to hear that you have not been selected for interview in Singapore. You can indicate that you want to be considered for application in Cambridge by emailing [email protected] and they can keep that info on file and send it to the college you are eventually assigned to after 15 October. Once you know which college that is, it might be worth emailing them to confirm this.The college who receives your application will assess your application as they would any other. There is a decent chance, however, that given your deselection for interview in Singapore that the college may come to a similar conclusion having reviewed your file themselves. Obviously, without seeing your file, I couldn't comment further.

(Poxy mobile app made that copy/paste exercise very difficult... )
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
The CAT replied in to OP in his thread so I'm quoting him here for completeness :wink:

(Poxy mobile app made that exercise very difficult... )

I can't obviously opt for that, because stupid me withdrew my application!
Reply 9
Original post by kumzkumz
I can't obviously opt for that, because stupid me withdrew my application!

Sorry to hear that. What were you applying for?
Reply 10
I just called UCAS and they've agreed to undo my withdrawal. Thank GOD.
Reply 11
I just called UCAS and they've agreed to undo my withdrawal. Thank GOD.

Woo. But will Cambridge do the same?

I'll wait while you call them.... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I think they would accept it, since it's still not the 15th yet!

Maybe we were at a disadvantage since we both did not do A-Level. I did an Australian syllabus!
You might want to try applying via third party (i.e organizations, platforms) which could give you another shot on the college you want.
Reply 14
Original post by HumpyDumpy
You might want to try applying via third party (i.e organizations, platforms) which could give you another shot on the college you want.

sorry but what do you mean by 'third party'?
Reply 15
I think they would accept it, since it's still not the 15th yet!

Maybe we were at a disadvantage since we both did not do A-Level. I did an Australian syllabus!

I think you should email them to be sure. As per the CATs advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans

Natural Sciences (Physical). I made an open application. And I'll quote a reply I made on the CAT's thread:

Spoiler

Reply 17
groups or organizations which supports study abroad programs. Mine for instance, I've applied to study abroad thru diversity abroad they're a platform to other schools and organizations that offers study abroad programs.

You ultimately will have to apply to Cambridge through the normal channels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
You ultimately will have to apply to Cambridge through the normal channels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was simply an option she could look into
Reply 19
It was simply an option she could look into

That's just a (very expensive: £4,395 !) summer school and is not directly affiliated to Cambridge University. It would not be relevant for the OP's circumstances, and certainly wouldn't help them get an interview...

If it's not this one, do you have other "options" you can link to?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest