The Student Room Group

University Feels Like Regression To High School; Should I leave It?

Third week at university and it's the most boring thing. There's supposed to be a focus on independence and that is what I was looking forward to, but that is a lie.

As I write this, I am missing a lecture. Today's schedule was an hour long seminar, followed by an hour long lecture an hour later, and then an hour long workshop an hour after the lecture. I went to the seminar but it lasted only twenty minutes and featured ridiculously trivial content. Because it finished early I couldn't be bothered waiting around for another hour and a half for the lecture to start and then have to wait another hour for the workshop to start so I just went home. I walk for thirty minutes to get to university so I just can't be bothered doing that every day just to wait around for trivial content. This is one factor of considering leaving.

There is also too much emphasis on sociality. I live at home so I don't need to adjust myself as much as international students do (i.e. I don't need to try to make new friends as much as people who have to adopt a completely new surrounding), and I accept that there is a bit of encouragement for people to get to know each other. But, in an average lecture there will be atleast three points where we will be asked to 'discuss with the person sitting next to you' and I just think - what is the actual point? In the time it takes for a lecture to finish, I could read perhaps three times as much as it contains in the same time frame. There aren't any chances for independence in seminars, tutorials or workshops either; it is constantly just asking for discussions- and nobody even wants to reciprocate a conversation most of the time- I definitely do not.

I just can not decide whether or not to leave; I want a degree but not all the rubbish that I apparently must do to get one.

I want to jump off a cliff and I ain't even joking. This isn't any of that 'ooh I think I am getting depression' nonsense, either.
You're just in your third week! shrug every bit of those thoughts off. I won't do you any good. Just find something challenging to do out there. At the very least try to survive your first semester. If things doesn't work all the way out, try to apply on a different uni which will credit what you've already started out in the first one. But trust me leaving it now will just land you to so much regrets.
high school actually teach you something
Original post by Wiggly

There aren't any chances for independence in seminars, tutorials or workshops either; it is constantly just asking for discussions- and nobody even wants to reciprocate a conversation most of the time- I definitely do not.

That's because the contact time is not the independence part of university, that is why they are 'contact' hours. They are meant for discussion and group learning. The independence comes with all of the extra work and background reading you are supposed to do on your own away from lectures etc.
Tbh students learn far more from interacting with their fellow students between lessons than they do from the lecturers themselves. That isn't to say that they are completely useless of course, but independent or group study is the most important aspect. The first couple of months was mostly about learning how to do references and figuring out what is defined as an acceptable source on my old course. It'll increase in pace before too long.
Reply 5
Original post by Wiggly
Third week at university and it's the most boring thing. There's supposed to be a focus on independence and that is what I was looking forward to, but that is a lie.

As I write this, I am missing a lecture. Today's schedule was an hour long seminar, followed by an hour long lecture an hour later, and then an hour long workshop an hour after the lecture. I went to the seminar but it lasted only twenty minutes and featured ridiculously trivial content. Because it finished early I couldn't be bothered waiting around for another hour and a half for the lecture to start and then have to wait another hour for the workshop to start so I just went home. I walk for thirty minutes to get to university so I just can't be bothered doing that every day just to wait around for trivial content. This is one factor of considering leaving.

There is also too much emphasis on sociality. I live at home so I don't need to adjust myself as much as international students do (i.e. I don't need to try to make new friends as much as people who have to adopt a completely new surrounding), and I accept that there is a bit of encouragement for people to get to know each other. But, in an average lecture there will be atleast three points where we will be asked to 'discuss with the person sitting next to you' and I just think - what is the actual point? In the time it takes for a lecture to finish, I could read perhaps three times as much as it contains in the same time frame. There aren't any chances for independence in seminars, tutorials or workshops either; it is constantly just asking for discussions- and nobody even wants to reciprocate a conversation most of the time- I definitely do not.

I just can not decide whether or not to leave; I want a degree but not all the rubbish that I apparently must do to get one.

I want to jump off a cliff and I ain't even joking. This isn't any of that 'ooh I think I am getting depression' nonsense, either.

You don't sound like you're ready for uni yet.

As has been said above, the bulk of your study at uni *will* be independent learning. That means getting yourself to the library and reading around your subject. You will have reading lists (if you don't, then be independent and ask for them) so start working on them. There are plenty of e-books and e-journals, so you won't even have to go to the library to access a lot of relevant academic material. But you don't just turn up for lectures and then leave campus afterwards.

In seminars, tutorials and workshops, you are supposed to demonstrate your "independence" by contributing to the discussion. If everyone - including you - refuses to contribute, then of course they won't work. You need to do preparatory reading and have something constructive to contribute. You don't just sit there and get told stuff. Although as you're worried that you can't be "independent", I'm not sure what the problem is - either do the independent work and contribute or sit back and be bored.

You're being given the opportunity to be "independent" but you aren't taking it. I'm not sure you have the right idea about what uni study is supposed to be. if you don't want to "all the rubbish" i.e. independent study, necessary to get a degree, then you're just throwing your money away. You'd probably be better off getting a job and thinking about uni again in a few years' time.

Let's face it, £9000 will get you a cruise to Australia via the Caribbean and Hawaii. If you feel that you're wasting your time at uni, try altering your perspective. If you don't put the work in, you're wasting an awful lot of money.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending