The Student Room Group

Oxford A101 Graduate Medicine 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Ronron12
Yes! I thought my subpar BMAT essay score (2.5) might have lost it for me... Just out of curiosity, did your email say you're likely to be called for interview, or did it say you are very likely?

Yeah I had a very poor BMAT score also so I am shocked with the email.
Mine says very likely.
Reply 41
Original post by Fevaz
Yeah I had a very poor BMAT score also so I am shocked with the email.
Mine says very likely.

Congratulations! They must have found another part of your application particularly impressive
for those of you who have received the email. which colleges did you apply for?
Original post by neuronerd
Goodbye Oxford. Shame I won't be coming back. *sigh*

(BMAT: 5.9, 3.6, 4A. DAMN YOU MATHS!)

have you received an email?! your score seems to be above others who have got :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Catherine1193
have you received an email?! your score seems to be above others who have got :smile:

Nope no email. Also my score wasn't above the others, I got 3.6 in section 2! I've come to terms with not going back to Oxford. Nottingham for the win :biggrin:
I just got one of these "very likely to interview" emails. Does anyone know how many people they interview? I had seen some data which suggests about 70% of the applicants offered places were already from oxbridge with 20% from russel group and only around 10% from every other uk uni.

Just putting that out there.
Reply 46
That's correct. Additionally, 50% of offer holders had post-grad research degrees, undegrad grades were split 50:50 between 2:1 and 1st and about 1/3 of the course hold only a 2:1 undergrad degree.

And that's pretty much everything they publish.

Original post by MondoBondo
I just got one of these "very likely to interview" emails. Does anyone know how many people they interview? I had seen some data which suggests about 70% of the applicants offered places were already from oxbridge with 20% from russel group and only around 10% from every other uk uni.

Just putting that out there.
That's correct. Additionally, 50% of offer holders had post-grad research degrees, undegrad grades were split 50:50 between 2:1 and 1st and about 1/3 of the course hold only a 2:1 undergrad degree.

And that's pretty much everything they publish.

That's interesting, thanks for the information.
For those that received the likely to be interviewed email what were your bmat scores if you don't mind?
6.2, 5.9 and 4A BMAT but didn't get an email wahhh :frown:
Reply 50
Got an email with 4.7, 3.7, 3.5A....
Reply 51
Original post by Harvey23
Got an email with 4.7, 3.7, 3.5A....

Guess it's time to stop blaming my BMAT score lol (5.9, 3.6, 4A).

What are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

I've got 2:1 from a redbrick and a MSc (by research) from Oxford. Guessing my personal statement didn't make the grade :frown:
I got 6,6 4.5A. What did people get for their degrees?

I got a 1st MSci in Biomed from Lancaster btw
ok im going to ask again :P those with emails what are your colleges? some colleges may be quicker than others?
Reply 54
This email is sent by the medical sciences teaching centre. The "very likely" means that they are recommending these people for interview but the final decision falls on the colleges.

The emails are sent after the MSTC has considered everyone and sent their recommendations to the colleges. So unfortunately for those of us without emails we are not going to get one.

You might get fluky and selected by the colleges if something in your application really appeals to them but was looked over by the MSTC, but it is really unlikely at this point for us.

Original post by Catherine1193
ok im going to ask again :P those with emails what are your colleges? some colleges may be quicker than others?
This email is sent by the medical sciences teaching centre. The "very likely" means that they are recommending these people for interview but the final decision falls on the colleges.

The emails are sent after the MSTC has considered everyone and sent their recommendations to the colleges. So unfortunately for those of us without emails we are not going to get one.

You might get fluky and selected by the colleges if something in your application really appeals to them but was looked over by the MSTC, but it is really unlikely at this point for us.

Do the emails definitely all get sent on the same day though? Don't these usually get sent over a couple of days (and as far as I can see, this is the first day that anyone's heard anything)?
Reply 56
Original post by cyberchibii
Do the emails definitely all get sent on the same day though? Don't these usually get sent over a couple of days (and as far as I can see, this is the first day that anyone's heard anything)?

It sounded pretty much like they send a batch out in one go. This isn't interview offers which come out in dribs and drabs, this is the MSTC's recommendations to the colleges which is only sent when they have completed them all. It wouldn't make sense to send them over the course of several days as all recommendations have been decided and confirmed.

As I said we might get lucky and still get an interview invite from the colleges, but we are not on the recommendation list so don't hold your breath.

Here is the original text:

The shortlisting process involves two stages: one conducted by the Medical School and one by the individual colleges. The Medical School forms a list of recommendations for shortlisting, and passes the list on to colleges. Although the colleges almost always accept the recommendations of the Medical School, the final decision on the shortlist rests with the colleges, and the colleges will send the final formal interview invitation to you. We usually e-mail candidates as a courtesy when we have completed our list of recommendations.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by georgief94
For those that received the likely to be interviewed email what were your bmat scores if you don't mind?

8.3, 5.9, 2.5A

I applied for St. Anne's College
Reply 58
Original post by Ronron12
Yes! I thought my subpar BMAT essay score (2.5) might have lost it for me... Just out of curiosity, did your email say you're likely to be called for interview, or did it say you are very likely?

I received an email saying that I am very likely... what did yours say?
Reply 59
Mine said very likely too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending