The Student Room Group

Is a Law degree on par with a STEM degree?

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Depends on the university and final grade. I would definitely say a 2.1+ from a Russell Group or top 20 uni is on par with a STEM degree. I also believe TSR members have a strong bias toward STEM degrees for some reason.
more than some, less than others. If we're talking wages. In terms of respect, i think STEM is overrated and the traditional humanities are as hard.
Original post by theperformer
Thoughts?

I hope so seeing as I'm doing a law degree atm!

Tbh I think it is so long as it's from a good university. Most law degrees from expolys aren't worth all that much, but still much better than doing something like media.
Original post by EmpireofRome
Depends on the university and final grade. I would definitely say a 2.1+ from a Russell Group or top 20 uni is on par with a STEM degree. I also believe TSR members have a strong bias toward STEM degrees for some reason.

Why the bias? Law and other business like degrees have the potential to make much more money than STEM.
I think law degrees are expected and also requires just like STEM degrees.
Reply 6
They are two completely different things.
Definitely not. A law degree doesn't even give you the qualification to practise.
Reply 8
Well, its not bias but it seems in the US, things are so bad that if all foreign students stop working, then some paths of research & design will come to a standstill. I don't think that's healthy. There should be an equal interest in both the directions. Humanities and the Social Sciences are very important too. I believe that the father of science or arts subjects is philosophy. From Socrates' time, people have been searching for that elusive real truth which now has only apriori existence. All subjects will combine at the end and we'll know everything.
At present, Chinese students are outgunning everyone in STEM and Indian students too.
Don't believe everything that you hear. Just google STEM and read the facts.
Original post by BBaggins
Well, its not bias but it seems in the US, things are so bad that if all foreign students stop working, then some paths of research & design will come to a standstill. I don't think that's healthy. There should be an equal interest in both the directions. Humanities and the Social Sciences are very important too. I believe that the father of science or arts subjects is philosophy. From Socrates' time, people have been searching for that elusive real truth which now has only apriori existence. All subjects will combine at the end and we'll know everything.
At present, Chinese students are outgunning everyone in STEM and Indian students too.
Don't believe everything that you hear. Just google STEM and read the facts.

Philosophy is important, but lets be honest with ourselves, the vast majority of philosophy undergrads are not going to become philosophers while becoming a scientist, engineer, physician-scientist is much more realistic after a STEM degree.

To answer the question however I do think law is incredibly important and on par with STEM in terms of respect. Although I have equal amounts of respect for all the academic subjects, I do have a bit of extra respect for subjects that are difficult to gain admission to or lead to realistic jobs/careers.
Just a law degree does not let you practice law. From a purely undergraduate degree perspective, most STEM degrees would fare better.

inb4 some idiot confusing career/job with degree comes out at with pitchforks.
Well, if you want to become a lawyer, it is.

If you want to become a doctor or an engineer, it isn't.

Study what interests you and what enables you to do what you want to do. Weighing up what degrees are 'better' or 'worse' than others is ridiculous and a complete waste of your time.
Original post by Fango_Jett
Just a law degree does not let you practice law. From a purely undergraduate degree perspective, most STEM degrees would fare better.

inb4 some idiot confusing career/job with degree comes out at with pitchforks.

This.

Basically most of TSR do not understand that a degree doesn't necessarily = a job/career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you go to a top university it is, but law degrees lose their value very heavily the further down the university chain you go, much more than STEM degrees.
Original post by Okorange
Philosophy is important, but lets be honest with ourselves, the vast majority of philosophy undergrads are not going to become philosophers while becoming a scientist, engineer, physician-scientist is much more realistic after a STEM degree.

To answer the question however I do think law is incredibly important and on par with STEM in terms of respect. Although I have equal amounts of respect for all the academic subjects, I do have a bit of extra respect for subjects that are difficult to gain admission to or lead to realistic jobs/careers.

No but phil students go on to do different careers and doing a degree training you to translate language into formal logic and deduce the correct answer to all arguments made surely helps them achieve in whatever they do.
Original post by Princepieman
This.

Basically most of TSR do not understand that a degree doesn't necessarily = a job/career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is all right but let's not speak about the availability of jobs. What I wanted to know was " Is a person academically qualified to practice law once he/she has a law degree?". Forget about remote chance because availability far exceeds need or other things like that. Is the person academically qualified as per the rules framed by society or not. If not what else does the person require?
Original post by BBaggins
That is all right but let's not speak about the availability of jobs. What I wanted to know was " Is a person academically qualified to practice law once he/she has a law degree?". Forget about remote chance because availability far exceeds need or other things like that. Is the person academically qualified as per the rules framed by society or not. If not what else does the person require?

The answer is no: they have to do an additional year of study to learn the 'practical skills' required in order to practice. Law at the undergraduate is purely an academic pursuit.
Without defining what you mean by 'on par with' in this context the question is meaningless. It's like comparing apples and pears.
Original post by Duncan2012
It's like comparing apples and pears.

excepting that apples and pears are sensibly compared.
Original post by cambio wechsel
excepting that apples and pears are sensibly compared.

"Is an apple on par with a pear?"

I just realised I meant to say oranges. Would that make a difference? Apples and oranges.

Quick Reply

Latest