The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

I'm just warning you all, i applied last november and it took them months to send me information about my interview, then another month or so to send an offer - everyone waits around for RHUL:s-smilie:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by meadowlarkmolly
I'm just warning you all, i applied last november and it took them months to send me information about my interview, then another month or so to send an offer - everyone waits around for RHUL:s-smilie:

Oh no, did they say in the acknowledgement email that they aimed to process the application within 4 weeks though?
Original post by prepdream
Oh no, did they say in the acknowledgement email that they aimed to process the application within 4 weeks though?

I can't actually remember-I just remember getting all of my offers from each uni by christmas, but I think I was given interview info in Feb, the same went for my best friend-she heard AFTER I did!
Got an offer. So happy! :smile:
Just got an offer for ABB to do music and drama after getting ABCD as AS level!!! Super Excited
Original post by katrina_monk
Just got an offer for ABB to do music and drama after getting ABCD as AS level!!! Super Excited

Congrats! Did not expect them to process everything that quick. They just sent the acknowledgement yesterday and then today already gave me an offer. When did you send your UCAS off?
Congrats! Did not expect them to process everything that quick. They just sent the acknowledgement yesterday and then today already gave me an offer. When did you send your UCAS off?

I know! it was so quick... I send my Ucas off last Tuesday and 3 Unis have gotten back to me already!
Course: Astrophysics MSci
A2 Level predicted grades: A*A*A
A2 Level subjects: Maths, Physics and Further Maths
AS Level grades: AAAC
AS Level Subjects: maths, physics, further maths & computing
GCSEs: 7A*s, 2As, 1B
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by katrina_monk
I know! it was so quick... I send my Ucas off last Tuesday and 3 Unis have gotten back to me already!

Wow did you get 3 decisions already? :redface:
Anyone else got an offer from RHUL as well? :')
Got an offer. So happy! :smile:

Congratulations! What did you apply for? :smile:
Reply 30
DON'T PICK KINGSWOOD FOR YOUR ACCOMMODATION. I REPEAT...DON'T PICK KINGSWOOD! It's like a 25 min walk from campus + it's pretty grim. All the other halls are amazing (I was in Founders/Hogwarts).

Have fun at RH, I spent the best three years of my life there :smile:

Ask if you have any questions!
Original post by tilray
DON'T PICK KINGSWOOD FOR YOUR ACCOMMODATION. I REPEAT...DON'T PICK KINGSWOOD! It's like a 25 min walk from campus + it's pretty grim. All the other halls are amazing (I was in Founders/Hogwarts).

hey, i was considering founders, how did you find the food? apparently its awful - thats my only issue with these halls.
i wanted to buy a mini oven/hob that i could plug into the pantry when i need it to avoid the food situation.. would i be able to get away with that? like between uses hide it in my room?

I think im going for WTB for 1st choice but id like founders as second choice, just the food situation worries me!

also, social life- im very social and look forward to freshers, is founders pretty social? i hear certain calls are "peaceful" and "quiet" = not what im looking for! any suggestions?
Reply 32
hey, i was considering founders, how did you find the food? apparently its awful - thats my only issue with these halls.
i wanted to buy a mini oven/hob that i could plug into the pantry when i need it to avoid the food situation.. would i be able to get away with that? like between uses hide it in my room?

I think im going for WTB for 1st choice but id like founders as second choice, just the food situation worries me!

also, social life- im very social and look forward to freshers, is founders pretty social? i hear certain calls are "peaceful" and "quiet" = not what im looking for! any suggestions?

In my opinion, the food wasn't actually that bad! Even when I moved out of halls I still went to eat at the dining hall from time to time; it's really cheap and the portions are huge. However there is also 'The Hub' which is the other dining hall near WTB, which sells even better food and is available to everyone at a discounted price.
In regards, to the mini oven/hob you could definitely get away with that! Everyone does it. I kept a kettle, toaster and mini fridge in my room and managed to get away with it for a year :biggrin:. I got the fridge because of the food thief's in my corridor...honestly, some of those girls were something else. Beware of the shared bathrooms though, Founder's are the only halls in RH that do it and it can get a bit nasty sometimes. But you don't mind sharing a bathroom it's fine.

Also, the corridors are single sex. 2nd floor is boys and the 3rd and 4th floor are girls (5th floor is postgrad). All the other halls are mixed.

Socially, RH is wonderful! You'll make friends very easily with everyone in your halls if you put yourself out there. I've seen people say there's nothing to do but SU twice a week, every week (SU nights were just hilarious), Monkey's Monday at the Monkey's forehead (student pub), Medicine (bar) on Thursdays and Saturdays + Liquid club in Windsor will all keep you occupied socially!

If you want halls that are a bit more wild maybe pick WTB over Founder's only because Founder's have a 'no guests after 11pm policy', which was just completely lame and annoying (although if you're a sneaky rebel like me you can successfully sneak people in...flirt with security, it's fine). The flat parties at WTB were some of my favourite uni nights!

Tbh, wherever you stay you'll have a great time at RH. It's a big campus but really becomes a little community after a while. Hope this answered your question :smile:
Original post by tilray
In my opinion, the food wasn't actually that bad! Even when I moved out of halls I still went to eat at the dining hall from time to time; it's really cheap and the portions are huge. However there is also 'The Hub' which is the other dining hall near WTB, which sells even better food and is available to everyone at a discounted price.
In regards, to the mini oven/hob you could definitely get away with that! Everyone does it. I kept a kettle, toaster and mini fridge in my room and managed to get away with it for a year :biggrin:. I got the fridge because of the food thief's in my corridor...honestly, some of those girls were something else. Beware of the shared bathrooms though, Founder's are the only halls in RH that do it and it can get a bit nasty sometimes. But you don't mind sharing a bathroom it's fine.

Also, the corridors are single sex. 2nd floor is boys and the 3rd and 4th floor are girls (5th floor is postgrad). All the other halls are mixed.

Socially, RH is wonderful! You'll make friends very easily with everyone in your halls if you put yourself out there. I've seen people say there's nothing to do but SU twice a week, every week (SU nights were just hilarious), Monkey's Monday at the Monkey's forehead (student pub), Medicine (bar) on Thursdays and Saturdays + Liquid club in Windsor will all keep you occupied socially!

If you want halls that are a bit more wild maybe pick WTB over Founder's only because Founder's have a 'no guests after 11pm policy', which was just completely lame and annoying (although if you're a sneaky rebel like me you can successfully sneak people in...flirt with security, it's fine). The flat parties at WTB were some of my favourite uni nights!

Tbh, wherever you stay you'll have a great time at RH. It's a big campus but really becomes a little community after a while. Hope this answered your question :smile:

Thank you so much! you've actually helped so much!

what did you do with the stuff during room inspections? Because i thought Mini fridges were banned! and they aren't small to hide :biggrin: were the room checks often?
Also, how'd you find the segregated sexes? i really get on with guys - did you make friends easily with the boys despite being separated?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by charleethompson
Congratulations! What did you apply for? :smile:

Thanks a lot! I applied for Management with Marketing :smile:
Original post by tilray

Hey! I was wondering if you could elaborate on this, because I was thinking about trying to get accomodation in Kingswood. Is it just the distance that makes it unpleasant or are there other factors as well? Are the people that live there relatively isolated?
Course: English and Creative Writing
A2-Level Predicted Grades: AAB
A2-Level Subjects: English lit, philosophy, photography
AS-Level Grades: AABC
AS-Level Subjects: english lit, philosophy, photography, art
GCSEs: A*AABBBBBC
Reply 37
Thank you so much! you've actually helped so much!

what did you do with the stuff during room inspections? Because i thought Mini fridges were banned! and they aren't small to hide :biggrin: were the room checks often?
Also, how'd you find the segregated sexes? i really get on with guys - did you make friends easily with the boys despite being separated?

You'e welcome!

And I basically hid them in my under bed storage because they never check there. It just about fit so I was lucky haha! Our room checks happened about once every 2 weeks and it wasn't a very in depth check at all, the lady basically just glanced around the room then walked out lol. I don't know how thorough they will be when you start though!

The segrated sexes were fine. On move in day once all the parents had finally left us alone, we all came out of our rooms and just kind of patrolled the corridors talking to everyone. I personally became closer with the boys initially as I didn't like how cliquey the girls became on my corridor :/ But once you start going out more you meet people from different halls and it's great!
Also, it's literally a 2 second walk to the boys floor so you'll meet them all pretty fast.

P.S always pre-drink, never go out to the uni night sober and if you want to sneak alcohol into the SU, tuck a sneaky bottle behind the waistband of your skirt/jeans and cover it with a jacket...They never check there :P Honestly the best advice I can give haha

Happy Royal Hollowaying!!!
Reply 38
Original post by johanna01
Hey! I was wondering if you could elaborate on this, because I was thinking about trying to get accomodation in Kingswood. Is it just the distance that makes it unpleasant or are there other factors as well? Are the people that live there relatively isolated?

To be fair the halls aren't all that bad. It's just that because it's the only halls away from campus, it made the Kingswood people stick together and not really mingle with anyone else. So yeah it was a great community for them but just not as integrated. But I guess it depends on how much you put yourself out there.

Everyone I knew that was in Kingswood called it the 'ghetto of Royal Holloway' LOL.

Accommodation wise it's quite similar to Founder's and I know they were refurbishing it this year when I graduated so it may look really good now. Have a visit and see what you think :smile:
Original post by tilray
To be fair the halls aren't all that bad. It's just that because it's the only halls away from campus, it made the Kingswood people stick together and not really mingle with anyone else. So yeah it was a great community for them but just not as integrated. But I guess it depends on how much you put yourself out there.

Everyone I knew that was in Kingswood called it the 'ghetto of Royal Holloway' LOL.

Accommodation wise it's quite similar to Founder's and I know they were refurbishing it this year when I graduated so it may look really good now. Have a visit and see what you think :smile:

Thank you very much for getting back to me :smile:) It's really good to get the opinion/experience of someone who has been at the uni. I'm going to think about it some more, still have some time, obviously :biggrin: Those are some things to think about certainly, so thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending