The Student Room Group

Is Britain Racist?

"The language has changed but the sentiment hasn't"-Said the man, who is Black,featured in BBC three documentary, says he has experienced racism in Britain even though he is British.

So that made me think, do you think Britain is racist?

On impulse I would say "No" but of course I would say xenophobia and Islamophobia is definitely present, but racism? Personally I have never felt attacked based on race but that's just my experience.

But then looking at the wider picture, it can be true that underlying racism is present even if it's only subconscious. When people say "That town doesn't feel like England anymore" or "This isn't our country anymore" and "Britain doesn't feel like Britain" sounds like that statement fuelled by hidden racism, even if it's not openly expressed with discriminatory words.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3262328/Great-British-Bake-producer-admits-finalists-chosen-representative-mix-Britain.html

Then...I read the comments under that daily mail article...I think it would be fair to say Racism does still exist. Do you agree?

Scroll to see replies

Some british people are racist some are not... The geographical area has no opinion (britain isnt a country)
Are there racist people? Yes.

Is the entire nation racist? No.

Is there any country on Earth with no racism? No.
You will find racists in Britain of course, as everywhere, but it doesn't strike me as a country where racism is particularly widespread.
every country has racism. most british people arent racist though and the UK is one of the least racist countries in the world, its much worse everywhere else
Reply 5
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
"The language has changed but the sentiment hasn't"-Said the man, who is Black,featured in BBC three documentary, says he has experienced racism in Britain even though he is British.

On impulse I would say "No" but of course I would say xenophobia and Islamophobia is definitely present, but racism? Personally I have never felt attacked based on race but that's just my experience.

But then looking at the wider picture, it can be true that underlying racism is present even if it's only subconscious. When people say "That town doesn't feel like England anymore" or "This isn't our country anymore" and "Britain doesn't feel like Britain" sounds like that statement fuelled by hidden racism, even if it's not openly expressed with discriminatory words.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3262328/Great-British-Bake-producer-admits-finalists-chosen-representative-mix-Britain.html

Then...I read the comments under that daily mail article...I think it would be fair to say Racism does still exist. Do you agree?

Have you forgotten those times at school or...? I don't think you were there at the printer situation though :tongue:
Yup, I definitely do think racism exists, maybe not so as much as before, but yes it's still prevalent. I remember during in school we never really got that many racist remarks, though we did have some, but remember the Solvakians? People always made rude remarks about them. It just seems as if when their is an influx of a new ethnicity that people are not used to, they seem to become racist. First it was black people and Asians, now it seems to be the Eastern Europeans. Of course, Muslims seem to be getting the most stick, and seem to be the most hated minority group in England. :frown:

I don't think the UK as a whole is inherently racist though, but racism does still exist within many people in in the UK.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by earthworm
Some british people are racist some are not... The geographical area has no opinion (britain isnt a country)

I say Britain, one because it was the name of the documentary and two because most ethnic minorities identify as British nationality rather than identifying as English so it made more sense.
of course racism exists in Britain but doesn't mean the country is racist as a whole. just the individuals who choose to be racist,just like anywhere else in the world.
Relative to most countries, the UK isn't particularly racist, though obviously no part of the world is free of all racism.

What was wrong with those comments exactly? If the selection process wasn't entirely meritocratic and took account of race then people are right to be outraged.
Growing up I had to go for football practice in Romford or Barking.

The racism there was so evident, bunch of skin heads that look like vikings shouting out "paki" from their Ford ka because I was mixed race and my friend was Pakistani when we were walking down the high street together.

One of them even threw chicken nuggets at him. Like that guy Neg from Ball's of Steel.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by drowzee
Have you forgotten those times at school or...? I don't think you were there at the printer situation though :tongue:
Yup, I definitely do think racism exists, maybe not so as much as before, but yes it's still prevalent. I remember during in school we never really got that many racist remarks, though we did have some, but remember the Solvakians? People always made rude remarks about them. It just seems as if when their is an influx of a new ethnicity that people are not used to, they seem to become racist. First it was black people and Asians, now it seems to be the Eastern Europeans. Of course, Muslims seem to be getting the most stick, and seem to be the most hated minority group in England. :frown:

I don't think the UK as a whole is inherently racist though, but racism does still exist within many people in in the UK.

Lol no I actually don't remember, I know that they were all horrible regardless. But wait, actually yes, I remember when they called us "Packees" -__-

I agree, when there is an influx of new ethnicity, "multiculturalism" doesn't seem to be upheld as proudly anymore. Sad really. I don't believe racism has finished, I do believe that there maybe underlying racism, but I also believe many fear to be called "racist" therefore underlying racism becomes more of an issue...

Do you think overtime people will stop caring if they get called a racist? Since people are already openly expressing discriminatory views anyway. I do.
Original post by That's so mean:(
Growing up I had to go for football practice in Romford or Barking.

The racism there was so evident, bunch of skin heads that look like vikings shouting out "paki" from their Ford ka because I was mixed race and my friend was Pakistani.

Yeah I lied(not intentionally) in my original post because yeah I have been called "paki" or "packee" -_- before. But I mean I have never been openly attacked based on race, of course society has moved on from those times.

Skin heads that look like vikings, that did make me laugh :ahee:
One of the most tolerant and diverse countries on the planet. There will always be racists in any country be it white on black, black on white brown on white or whatever. In Britain these are mostly minority

I thought the program was a total cronk of **** though, pseudo scientific tests concluding people were racist because they didn't click the button as fast on members of a different race. Utterly embarrassing
Being racist in 2015 will only cost your country. More tolerance = more growth. A strong economy = prosperity.

Immigrants account for a large chunk of our NHS, Large chunk of new start ups and existing businesses. Silicon valley is the blue print for the future.

Only the economic losers or people who are not intertwined with modern day logic will be racist.

Daily mail sets it's own precedent.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
One of the most tolerant and diverse countries on the planet. There will always be racists in any country be it white on black, black on white brown on white or whatever. In Britain these are mostly minority

I thought the program was a total cronk of **** though, pseudo scientific tests concluding people were racist because they didn't click the button as fast on members of a different race. Utterly embarrassing

I thought it was interesting, it did have an element of pseudo science I do admit that :redface:

But I did think the guy who went into east London and called it a "different world" and refused to accept the lady was British nationality, was a racist.

Do you think overtime people will stop caring if they get called a racist? Since people are already openly expressing discriminatory views anyway. I do.

People are becoming less afraid of being called racist because it is used and abused so frequently and incorrectly by so much of society. The regressive idiots who shout racist at anybody who does not agree with their world view to silence and stifle discussion are responsible
Its mainly a few people who are racist who make these stupid parties such as EDL and BNP, but these are just a majority, I think people of England are beautiful
I thought it was interesting, it did have an element of pseudo science I do admit that :redface:

But I did think the guy who went into east London and called it a "different world" and refused to accept the lady was British nationality, was a racist.

Yes that guy was an idiot
Original post by ikhan94
Its mainly a few people who are racist who make these stupid parties such as EDL and BNP, but these are just a majority, I think people of England are beautiful

Don't forget Britain first. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending